Best color printer (photo printer) for a reasonable price

Old December 27th 04, 02:17 PM
Lars Bonnesen

Default Best color printer (photo printer) for a reasonable price

I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of digital
photos.

What is a good choice (when also looking at price/performance)? I have an
old HP inkjet printer and an old laserjet. The laserjet (B/W) makes terribel
photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is to old. I imagine
that you get better prints from consumer printers nowadays.

Regards, Lars.

Old December 27th 04, 02:49 PM
David J Taylor

Lars Bonnesen wrote:
I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of
digital photos.

What is a good choice (when also looking at price/performance)? I
have an old HP inkjet printer and an old laserjet. The laserjet (B/W)
makes terribel photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is
to old. I imagine that you get better prints from consumer printers
nowadays.

Epson R200 or R300 is a good compromise. R800 is even better.

David

Old December 27th 04, 03:03 PM
Arthur Small

There is NO best. Depending on your needs there are many good photo printers
on the market. Do you want ink jet or dye sub. Will you print only 4x6,
8x10 or 24 x 36.
What is reasonable? $100.00 or $500.00.
Look at http://www.imaging-resource.com/ or other sources for reviews.

Old December 27th 04, 03:23 PM
Lars Bonnesen

"Arthur Small" wrote in message
There is NO best. Depending on your needs there are many good photo
printers on the market. Do you want ink jet or dye sub.

To be honest, I actually don't know the difference, allthough I do work
with computers. What I would do, preferably, is to print on ordinary A4
paper and to get resonable prints.

I don't do hardcopy very much. I prefer to have the pictures electronically,
but from time to time, I is a good thing to do a hard copy.

My HP printer has run out on color ink, and I am thinking that I won't
change the cartridge. I will rather get a new printer. The printer shall
then take over where the the HP color printer did the job.

Will you print only 4x6, 8x10 or 24 x 36.

A4 - A5

A3 would be nice, but will probably raise the price a lot?

What is reasonable? $100.00 or $500.00.

Well, I am living in Denmark, so it is hard to currency conversion because
of difference in VAT and so on. But max $300 is probably what I originally
inteded to pay. The range Epson R300-R800 is ok.

But I am not only thinking on the price on the hardware as the only thing -
I am more thinking on TCO.

Look at http://www.imaging-resource.com/ or other sources for reviews.

I will. Thanks to both of you.

Regards, Lars.

Old December 27th 04, 03:42 PM
Zoidberg

Hi Lars,

I recently bought a Epson R800 and it is fabulous! A friend also has
the Epson R320 which also prints great photos. I decided on the R800
though for the archival qualities as I am an autograph collector and I
wanted to print photos that will last. Since I never print anything
over 8 1/2 x 11 the R800 was perfect for me. It cost $399 but I got a
$75 giftcard rebate on it so it wasn't a bad price.

Old December 27th 04, 03:50 PM
Yehuda Paradise

If (like most people I know) you are content with 4 x 6 in (10 x 15 cm)
prints, you cannot beat store-made prints. they are at least 60% cheaper,
much less fuss and bother, and, unless you are an expert, also much better
quality.
on the comparatively rare occasions when you need a bigger format (such as
A4 or letter size), or when you have special demands as to picture
manipulation, it's wiser to enlist the help of a friend who does this more
often (of course, offer to pay for paper and ink!).

On the other hand, if you have a secret yearning to fool around with
printing techniques - the sky is the limit ...

. ..

Old December 27th 04, 04:01 PM
Gene Palmiter

There is no best because they all suck! Until you spend enough to get
archival and more than 4 colors you can't beat the price of the internet
photoprinters. Even then it costs more...but it's worth it.

Suck is no very specific...so...

The prints fade
the consumables are expensive

Old December 27th 04, 05:07 PM
Steve m...

HP makes a great printer. And the new ones are rated to last 113+ years.
That should be enough for you. If you get a Photosmart printer you should
be fine with the 6 color process. You can get a 8450 with 8 color process
for around $250 or so at Best Buy.
They aren't number 1 for no reason at all you know.

Steve