28mm or 50mm Fixed focus lens for Canon dRebel

Old November 8th 04, 11:23 AM
Siddhartha Jain

Default 28mm or 50mm Fixed focus lens for Canon dRebel

Hi,

The 50mm fixed focus lens is usually highly recommended for 35mm SLRs
given its low price and good optical qualities. I was wondering would
it be same for digital SLRs with 1.6x crop factor or is a 28mm more
suited for dSLRs?

Optically, is a Canon 28mm f2.8 as good as the 50mm f1.8 in terms of
barrel distortion etc?

Thanks,

Siddhartha

Old November 8th 04, 01:19 PM
BG250

I have the 50mm. It is a sharp lens, but it is too long on the dRebel. The
28mm will give you about the same angle of view as a 45mm lens in 35mm film.

I'm not familiar with the Canon 28, but my experience with other 28mm lenses
are that they have more barrel distortion and may be softer in the corners
at wide apertures. You do loose more than a stop of light going from f/1.8
to f/2.8. The sharpness of the 50/1.8 makes it very useful even wide open.
bg

ups.com...

Old November 8th 04, 01:25 PM
Joseph Meehan

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
Hi,

The 50mm fixed focus lens is usually highly recommended for 35mm SLRs
given its low price and good optical qualities. I was wondering would
it be same for digital SLRs with 1.6x crop factor or is a 28mm more
suited for dSLRs?

Optically, is a Canon 28mm f2.8 as good as the 50mm f1.8 in terms of
barrel distortion etc?

Thanks,

Siddhartha

For digitals with crop factors those very good and inexpensive ~50mm
fairly fast lenses are recommended for portrait work.

Keep in mind that any standard 35mm lens you use with a cropping digital
will not be able to provide the same total resolution as it can on a
standard 35mm since you will be throwing away about 30% of the image the
lens could have produced on a full size 35mm.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old November 8th 04, 03:56 PM
Michael A. Covington

"BG250" wrote in message
I have the 50mm. It is a sharp lens, but it is too long on the dRebel. The
28mm will give you about the same angle of view as a 45mm lens in 35mm
film.

I'm not familiar with the Canon 28, but my experience with other 28mm
lenses
are that they have more barrel distortion and may be softer in the corners
at wide apertures. You do loose more than a stop of light going from f/1.8
to f/2.8. The sharpness of the 50/1.8 makes it very useful even wide open.
bg

I'm not that pessimistic about the 28. Remember, you're not using the
corners. Doesn't Canon also make a 28/2?

Old November 8th 04, 04:18 PM
PhotoMan

BG250 wrote:
I have the 50mm. It is a sharp lens, but it is too long on the
dRebel. The 28mm will give you about the same angle of view as a 45mm
lens in 35mm film.

I'm not familiar with the Canon 28, but my experience with other 28mm
lenses are that they have more barrel distortion and may be softer in
the corners at wide apertures. You do loose more than a stop of light

Actually, it's about 1/2 stop. ƒ3.5 would be a full stop.

Old November 8th 04, 04:22 PM
PhotoMan

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Siddhartha Jain wrote:
Hi,

The 50mm fixed focus lens is usually highly recommended for 35mm SLRs
given its low price and good optical qualities. I was wondering would
it be same for digital SLRs with 1.6x crop factor or is a 28mm more
suited for dSLRs?

Optically, is a Canon 28mm f2.8 as good as the 50mm f1.8 in terms of
barrel distortion etc?

Thanks,

Siddhartha

For digitals with crop factors those very good and inexpensive
~50mm fairly fast lenses are recommended for portrait work.

Keep in mind that any standard 35mm lens you use with a cropping
digital will not be able to provide the same total resolution as it
can on a standard 35mm since you will be throwing away about 30% of
the image the lens could have produced on a full size 35mm.

An advantage of the crop factor is that you're utilizing the central 'sweet
spot' of the lens. There won't be very much, if any vignetting, corner
softness and barrel distortion.

Old November 8th 04, 04:26 PM
YAG-ART

On 8 Nov 2004 02:23:43 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
wrote:

Hi,

The 50mm fixed focus lens is usually highly recommended for 35mm SLRs
given its low price and good optical qualities. I was wondering would
it be same for digital SLRs with 1.6x crop factor or is a 28mm more
suited for dSLRs?

Well, what are you using it for?
Old November 8th 04, 04:27 PM
YAG-ART

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:56:03 -0500, "Michael A. Covington"
wrote:

"BG250" wrote in message
I have the 50mm. It is a sharp lens, but it is too long on the dRebel. The
28mm will give you about the same angle of view as a 45mm lens in 35mm
film.

I'm not familiar with the Canon 28, but my experience with other 28mm
lenses
are that they have more barrel distortion and may be softer in the corners
at wide apertures. You do loose more than a stop of light going from f/1.8
to f/2.8. The sharpness of the 50/1.8 makes it very useful even wide open.
bg

I'm not that pessimistic about the 28. Remember, you're not using the
corners. Doesn't Canon also make a 28/2?

Canon makes a 28 1.8 USM and a 28 2.8 non-usm
Old November 8th 04, 04:33 PM
PhotoMan

YAG-ART wrote:
Canon makes a 28 1.8 USM and a 28 2.8 non-usm

The 2.8 is about $165., and the 1.8 $400.

Old November 8th 04, 04:48 PM
Michael A. Covington

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
BG250 wrote:
I have the 50mm. It is a sharp lens, but it is too long on the
dRebel. The 28mm will give you about the same angle of view as a 45mm
lens in 35mm film.

I'm not familiar with the Canon 28, but my experience with other 28mm
lenses are that they have more barrel distortion and may be softer in
the corners at wide apertures. You do loose more than a stop of light

Actually, it's about 1/2 stop. ƒ3.5 would be a full stop.

From f/1.8 to f/2.5, or from f/2 to f/2.8, would be a full stop. f/1.8 to
f/2.8 is slightly more than a stop.

Remember, f-ratio squared is inversely proportional to brightness.
Consecutive f-stops (differing by a factor of 2 in brightness) differ by a
factor of sqrt(2) = 1.414.