Lens recommendation for dia film reproduction?

Old February 12th 21, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Lens recommendation for dia film reproduction?

On 2021-02-12 10:22, Ramsman wrote:
On 12/02/2021 15:09, wrote:

photo scanners start at under $100 and produce better results with
less
hassle.

old photos tend to curl, some quite a bit, so you will also need a way
to keep them flat without causing glare or other issues.

tl;dr - get a scanner.
Ok. If using a scanner, is your recommendation to remove the film
from the frame or can it be be scanned as is?

I use an Epson Perfection V800 Photo, which can take 12 2 inch slide
frames (no need to remove the film) or 3 strips of 6 35mm negatives
at a time, as well as medium format and 4x5 inch negatives. Lots of
good software features.

At what resolution?

From the datasheet downloaded from the Epson website:

Perfect for helping life-long photo enthusiasts and photographers
convert their film and images into high-quality digital media
Convert all your treasured memories to digital using this
professional-quality, 6400dpi scanner. The V800 requires virtually no
warm up time and includes high- quality film holders to help deliver
fast, high-quality results. For improved clarity, dust and scratches are
automatically removed from film and photos.

Choice of resolution
The V800 features a dual lens system that automatically selects the
optimal lens, with up to 4800dpi optical resolution for reflective photo
scanning and 6400dpi when scanning using film holders.

Yet, I seem to recall in comparison to dedicated scanners the results
were somewhat soft v. 4000 dpi scanners such as Nikon (4000, 8000, 9000).

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old February 12th 21, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

tl;dr - get a scanner.
Ok. If using a scanner, is your recommendation to remove the film
from the frame or can it be be scanned as is?

I use an Epson Perfection V800 Photo, which can take 12 2 inch slide
frames (no need to remove the film) or 3 strips of 6 35mm negatives
at a time, as well as medium format and 4x5 inch negatives. Lots of
good software features.

At what resolution?

From the datasheet downloaded from the Epson website:

Perfect for helping life-long photo enthusiasts and photographers
convert their film and images into high-quality digital media
Convert all your treasured memories to digital using this
professional-quality, 6400dpi scanner. The V800 requires virtually no
warm up time and includes high- quality film holders to help deliver
fast, high-quality results. For improved clarity, dust and scratches are
automatically removed from film and photos.

Choice of resolution
The V800 features a dual lens system that automatically selects the
optimal lens, with up to 4800dpi optical resolution for reflective photo
scanning and 6400dpi when scanning using film holders.

Yet, I seem to recall in comparison to dedicated scanners the results
were somewhat soft v. 4000 dpi scanners such as Nikon (4000, 8000, 9000).

they are definitely soft when scanning film compared to a good film
scanner.

the problem is that he wants to scan prints by mounting a camera on an
enlarger base, thereby making it into a copy stand.

a nikon coolscan 4000/8000/9000 will not work.

in this case, a flatbed scanner is the appropriate choice.
Old February 13th 21, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-02-12 15:52, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

tl;dr - get a scanner.
Ok. If using a scanner, is your recommendation to remove the film
from the frame or can it be be scanned as is?

I use an Epson Perfection V800 Photo, which can take 12 2 inch slide
frames (no need to remove the film) or 3 strips of 6 35mm negatives
at a time, as well as medium format and 4x5 inch negatives. Lots of
good software features.

At what resolution?

From the datasheet downloaded from the Epson website:

[...]

Eh? His post said

Quote: "My plan is to make RAW files of may old dia pictures (24x36 mm
film)"

a nikon coolscan 4000/8000/9000 will not work.

in this case, a flatbed scanner is the appropriate choice.

If the object is to scan any film smaller than 120/200 then, yes the
Nikon 8000/9000 will definitely work.

Likewise for 35mm film strips up to 6 frames long on Nikon 4000/8000/9000.

Old February 13th 21, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

The V800 features a dual lens system that automatically selects the
optimal lens, with up to 4800dpi optical resolution for reflective photo
scanning and 6400dpi when scanning using film holders.

Yet, I seem to recall in comparison to dedicated scanners the results
were somewhat soft v. 4000 dpi scanners such as Nikon (4000, 8000, 9000).

they are definitely soft when scanning film compared to a good film
scanner.

the problem is that he wants to scan prints by mounting a camera on an
enlarger base, thereby making it into a copy stand.

Eh? His post said

Quote: "My plan is to make RAW files of may old dia pictures (24x36 mm
film)"

his subsequent post said:

In article ,
" wrote:
Excuse me for being unclear. My "method" is to use a tripod from an old
enlarger. Mount the camera on the tripod and the photo an a shall light
surface on the tripod floor. E. g. not use a projector and make a picture from
the projected screen.

that sounds like a copy stand to me.

if he meant using the enlarger as a makeshift projector and then take a
photo of the image on the easel, then the results will be quite poor.

a nikon coolscan 4000/8000/9000 will not work.

in this case, a flatbed scanner is the appropriate choice.

If the object is to scan any film smaller than 120/200 then, yes the
Nikon 8000/9000 will definitely work.

and fits in a film carrier.

Likewise for 35mm film strips up to 6 frames long on Nikon 4000/8000/9000.

except that won't work. see above.
Old February 13th 21, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 15:35:31 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:

In good condition, no issue at all. I've done many, many thousands on
three different scanners w/o issues. I've even scanned glass (b&w) w/o
removing them. No issues.

Wait--are we talking transparencies in cardboard or glass mounts, or images printed on paper,
or ???

--
croy
Old February 13th 21, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brutus

"nospam" wrote in message ...
In article , Incubus
wrote:

My plan is to make RAW files of may old dia pictures (24x36 mm film) using
my Canon EOS 600D camera.

Does anyone have experience and recommendation on which lens to invest in?

not a good method.

buy a good film scanner and do it properly.

Agreed. Use the tool designed for the job rather than something adapted that
won't give as good results. It will save time as well.

yep.

There are aftermarket/third party film holders that can do a much better job
of holding the film flat. It does make a noticeable difference in the quality of
the final image.

there are, and it also requires a lens that is designed for a flat
field, which cost more than everyday lenses.

I have an older Epson 4490 photo scanner (newer models may have more advatages).
That said my unit has holders for 35mm negatives and or color slides plus all of the 120 formates.Of
course it will scan prints which will allow you all of the advatages of digital manipulation.

This ought to give you higher resolution and much faster results...

Old February 13th 21, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Brutus
wrote:

I have an older Epson 4490 photo scanner (newer models may have more
advatages).
That said my unit has holders for 35mm negatives and or color slides plus all
of the 120 formates.Of
course it will scan prints which will allow you all of the advatages of
digital manipulation.

This ought to give you higher resolution and much faster results...

a flatbed scanner with a film attachment is not as good as a dedicated
film scanner.
Old February 13th 21, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-02-13 11:24, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

The V800 features a dual lens system that automatically selects the
optimal lens, with up to 4800dpi optical resolution for reflective photo
scanning and 6400dpi when scanning using film holders.

Yet, I seem to recall in comparison to dedicated scanners the results
were somewhat soft v. 4000 dpi scanners such as Nikon (4000, 8000, 9000).

they are definitely soft when scanning film compared to a good film
scanner.

the problem is that he wants to scan prints by mounting a camera on an
enlarger base, thereby making it into a copy stand.

Eh? His post said

Quote: "My plan is to make RAW files of may old dia pictures (24x36 mm
film)"

his subsequent post said:

In article ,
" wrote:
Excuse me for being unclear. My "method" is to use a tripod from an old
enlarger. Mount the camera on the tripod and the photo an a shall light
surface on the tripod floor. E. g. not use a projector and make a picture from
the projected screen.

that sounds like a copy stand to me.

Yes, you can do that quite well with slides (or even negatives if you
want to process out the orange mask - tedious). But not with a
projected image. A backlit slide shot with a macro lens. I've seen
such results and they're not bad at all. It's just a horrible process.

if he meant using the enlarger as a makeshift projector and then take a
photo of the image on the easel, then the results will be quite poor

a nikon coolscan 4000/8000/9000 will not work.

in this case, a flatbed scanner is the appropriate choice.

If the object is to scan any film smaller than 120/200 then, yes the
Nikon 8000/9000 will definitely work.

and fits in a film carrier.

Likewise for 35mm film strips up to 6 frames long on Nikon 4000/8000/9000.

except that won't work. see above.

Sure it will because he meant film. Just skip his method of projection
since the discussion turned to scanners.

Old February 13th 21, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-02-13 14:22, croy wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 15:35:31 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:

In good condition, no issue at all. I've done many, many thousands on
three different scanners w/o issues. I've even scanned glass (b&w) w/o
removing them. No issues.

Wait--are we talking transparencies in cardboard or glass mounts, or images printed on paper,
or ???

The discussion turned to scanners. So cardboard mounts work very well.
Metal with glass, is not practical in colour. B&W I've had good results.

I've also scanned a lot of prints. Colour to about 300 dpi and B&W to
600 (though resolution is about 400 - 500 in really good prints).

Old February 14th 21, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 13/02/2021 4:17 am, nospam wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Ok. If using a scanner, is your recommendation to remove the film from the
frame or can it be be scanned as is?

you will need to remove them from the frame no matter what you do.

Wrong again - a bit of a habit..... unless OP is unclear and is actually
taking the photo of a *print* as oppose to 'of the film'.

My Nikon Coolscan LS5000ED (an\d others) has a 50-slide magazine
specifically designed to take transparencies in mounts.

geoff