Theft

Old February 16th 21, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Theft

On 2021-02-09 20:42, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 13:46:42 UTC-5, Alfred Molon wrote:
This is incredible:
https://petapixel.com/2021/02/07/pho...-robbed-while-
stuck-in-sf-traffic-lose-7000-in-camera-gear/

robbery in plain daylight on a busy street.

But even more amazing are those comments at the bottom of the
article (lots of people wishing the thieves had been shot).

They should have been shot.

You are one angry dude. Get help.

No they should not have been shot. That would be extrajudicial
punishment, vigilantism.

Which is perfectly acceptable if the police can't do a good enough job.
Crime is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 1970's though so I don't see vigilante justice happening on any kind of scale yet.

Get help.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old February 16th 21, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Feb 15, 2021, RichA wrote
(in ):

On 2021-02-09 20:42, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 13:46:42 UTC-5, Alfred Molon wrote:
This is incredible:
https://petapixel.com/2021/02/07/pho...-robbed-while-
stuck-in-sf-traffic-lose-7000-in-camera-gear/

robbery in plain daylight on a busy street.

But even more amazing are those comments at the bottom of the
article (lots of people wishing the thieves had been shot).

They should have been shot.

You are one angry dude. Get help.

No they should not have been shot. That would be extrajudicial
punishment, vigilantism.

Which is perfectly acceptable if the police can't do a good enough job.
Crime is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 1970's though so I don't see vigilante justice happening on any kind of scale yet.

Is there a particular brand of handcuff you favor?
Vigilantes don’t have a great history of success in criminal court.

Savageduck

Old February 16th 21, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 13:44:47 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2021-02-14 21:25, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 19:12:17 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2021-02-13 19:01, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:59:33 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Years ago I had a pair of speakers stolen which the police later found
had been sold for $45 for the pair in a local pub. It cost the
insurance company $12,000 to replace them.

The insurance company paid about $800 to replace them because they know
you could never tell the difference in an ABx test.

They were Quad ESL63 electrostatics

it doesn't matter what they were.

I expect even you could not avoid hearing the difference (although I
don't expect you would admit it).

I doubt very much there is a qualitative difference worth the money.

BTW: hearing a difference between speakers is normal.

Hearing one is "better" than another is the domain of about 0.01 .. 0.1%
of humans, most of whom are also less than 30 years of age.

If you haven't heard good electrostatics then you don't know what I'm
talking about.

I have. Long ago. And very nice. So were my friend's KEF's.

But frankly, take people room to room, and few will do better than
flipping a coin using music that they are not familiar with.

I used to listen to live orchestras. I knew even then what musical
instruments really sound like. Even today most speakers blur the fine
detail. People who have never heard a real live orchestra cannot know
this and jusdge speakers on the basis of what sounds best.

That includes you when you were young most likely and certainly includes
you at your ripe age...

But I am familiar with a hell of a lot of real music, not just a
recorded facsimile.

Eric Stevens
Old February 16th 21, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 13:46:25 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2021-02-14 21:27, Eric Stevens wrote:

There is more to it than just frequency range.

Of course. The point is I (and you) have lost a lot of the finer end of
the range and likely have gain holes between 4 and 15K.

IOW, no need for hyper expensive speakers. You're not getting anything
beyond bragging rights out of them.

That might be your experience. It's not mine.

Eric Stevens
Old February 16th 21, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I used to listen to live orchestras. I knew even then what musical
instruments really sound like. Even today most speakers blur the fine
detail. People who have never heard a real live orchestra cannot know
this and jusdge speakers on the basis of what sounds best.

nonsense.

That includes you when you were young most likely and certainly includes
you at your ripe age...

But I am familiar with a hell of a lot of real music, not just a
recorded facsimile.

that doesn't negate normal loss of hearing as people age.

also, calling it a 'recorded facsimile' is highly disingenuous.
Old February 16th 21, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Feb 15, 2021, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 00:55:02 UTC, Savageduck wrote:
.
Is there a particular brand of handcuff you favor?
Vigilantes don’t have a great history of success in criminal court.

I have a pair of these but I don't think they are actually handcuffs .
My hands go straight through them even when closed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6l2ifedvz..._1801.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n8ifnh5on..._1802.jpg?dl=0
They are solidly made and heavy at 1lb 13 oz (UK)
Each end opens when the 'key' is screwed in, removing the key locks them.

Any idea what they might have been used for, they have the name hiatt stamped on the key.
Only thing I can think of is connecting a series of cuffed people together via chains.
Also wondered about their age.

That type of cuff is pretty old, and I don’t know of too many Departments that would use anything like them these days. I suspect they might have some sort of UK Colonial heritage.

I am familiar with Peerless and Smith & Wesson handcuffs.
https://www.peerless.net
https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/smith-wesson-handcuffs/

Savageduck

Old February 16th 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_3_]

Old February 19th 21, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2021-02-13 19:01, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:59:33 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Well live music will always 'sound' different, and don't forget that the venue and it's acoustics also have an effect, and the conductor who leads the orchestra, he decides what needs to be heard not you, he interprets what the 'author' of the original piece wanted you to hear.

There is a limit to what the conductor can do. Otherwise (for example)
the orchestra could be equipped with Melodic (NZ$79) violins rather
than Stradivari.

Then there's the sound engineer back in the studio who adds his idea(s) based on the equipment used and the sound he wants recorded.

And you want to see the equipment most of them use :-(

I doubt many people today can say that know what the classic composers wanted you to hear.

Quite true. They don't need better than $800 speakers unless they want
to show off.

So what is best depends on what an individual likes which is why sound engineers have so many knobs, buttons and sliders, and conductors have many hand and arm gestures.

The likes of the sound engineer can be a barrier.

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens
Old February 19th 21, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:51:33 -0500, Alan Browne

Old February 21st 21, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 15:15:03 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 19 February 2021 at 04:01:08 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:

Well live music will always 'sound' different, and don't forget that the venue and it's acoustics also have an effect, and the conductor who leads the orchestra, he decides what needs to be heard not you, he interprets what the 'author' of the original piece wanted you to hear.

There is a limit to what the conductor can do. Otherwise (for example)
the orchestra could be equipped with Melodic (NZ$79) violins rather
than Stradivari.

well not everyone can afford a Stradivari, I doubt even the violin players in the London philharmonic all have them.
Actually I have a violin under my sofa (in a case) don't know much about it myself, a friend left it he worked as a session musician for a while although being Irish he says he's a fiddle player.

Then there's the sound engineer back in the studio who adds his idea(s) based on the equipment used and the sound he wants recorded.

And you want to see the equipment most of them use :-(

well most don't have the money and they depend on the Venue to have them.

Some years ago I was following this subject on Youtube and found a
number of professional sound engineers who were discussing their work.
They all had enormous and expensive control desks filled with knobs
and sliders, and they all knew a great deal about the various forms of
digital encoding and the respective problems and how to deal with
them.

The youngest was at least 55 and several were much older. The all
worked in relatively long and narrow rooms with the long control desks
placed lengthways in the rooms. They all had their favourite reference
speakers which without exception were built around 10" base units or
larger. They all were "old" favourites from the previous 10 or 15
years. (I kid you not.) So there they were sitting at their sound
desks, facing across the room, listening to a pair of ancient speakers
on the opposite wall.

I was apalled! The listening environment was acoustically awful. There
was no sign of what could be regarded as a studio monitor speaker and,
as nospam loves to point out, at their age they could not even hear at
least half the signal they were editing. These people have been
responsible for much of recorded pop, punk, reock and roll etc which
is let loose on the world. No wonder there is a small group of
afficianados are picky about the details of the way the music they
listen to has been recorded.

I assume abbey road have some decent kit. Unlike the local pub that puts on bands.

They have an a large desk, engineer facing the wall. They appear to be
using B&W 803 speakers which are very expensive bookshelf speakers
with the the B&W's diamond tweeter. They probably produce an
'adequate' sound for most purposes but the best classical recording
companies would not use them or their listening environment. It also
looks as though there are some kind of flat panel speaker behind
louvres in the side wall. Quite what they are and what they do I do
not quite know. One thing is certain, flat panels are weak on base so
it is unlikely they are woofers.

See https://www.abbeyroad.com/recording-engineers

I doubt many people today can say that know what the classic composers wanted you to hear.

Quite true. They don't need better than $800 speakers unless they want
to show off.

So what is best depends on what an individual likes which is why sound engineers have so many knobs, buttons and sliders, and conductors have many hand and arm gestures.

The likes of the sound engineer can be a barrier.

A barrier to what's recorded irrespective of the listeners sound system.

What does the birdie song sound like on your setup, does it improve it ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESViOhqRdlE

I think the only thing that would improve it is playing it from deeper
underwater. :-)

Eric Stevens