Q: Cloud backup services ... pros/cons & recommendations

Old January 27th 21, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

Default Q: Cloud backup services ... pros/cons & recommendations

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 19:51:31 -0500, nospam
wrote:

keep in mind that hard drives crash unexpectedly or otherwise fail far
more frequently than cloud services going out of business

I hear this often.

Just wondering if this is a notion from 20 years ago or if it is known
to be true today.

I have several hard drives and my last failure was so long ago I can't
remember when it was.
Old January 27th 21, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Wally
wrote:

keep in mind that hard drives crash unexpectedly or otherwise fail far
more frequently than cloud services going out of business

I hear this often.

because it's true.

Just wondering if this is a notion from 20 years ago or if it is known
to be true today.

it hasn't changed. if anything, there's a much higher risk today due to
hard drives having a significantly higher capacity than they did back
then, resulting in both a higher risk of data loss as well as more data
lost when (not if) one fails.

I have several hard drives and my last failure was so long ago I can't
remember when it was.

buy a lottery ticket.