4x6 printer...

Old November 9th 04, 04:08 PM
CNT

Default 4x6 printer...

My NG reader doesn't download all the posts. So, forgive me if this is just
another repeated question. I used to have Nikon 880 and now have Canon S45.
I am still pretty much in Auto mode. I enjoy uploading the images to Walmart
website and have them print 4x6 (and some larger) pictures, and I go pick
'em up at the store.

I didn't want a photo printer because I am not expertise with digital image
(let alone I am in process of video editing with simple steps (no
Hollywoods)). My wife insists. She wants to buy me "something" for Christmas
and begs me to tell her which photo printer is good one.

Well, I do like those 4x6 photo printer, but not sure which or what to look
for. To start off, I would pick HP 4x6 printer (since using HP DeskJet
printer for years and still strong). I like the smallness of Epson model,
but my mother-in-law has a Epson printer and no need for me to tell the
story!

Question, does Walmart print their photo just like as if I had one of those
small photo printer? Same photo paper, same printing concept prints?

Question, since those small printer (meaning 4x6 only) are in $150+ range,
the bigger photo printer are also in the $150+ range, should I go for the
bigger one?

Question, if I better off with the bigger one, in spite of the nice small
size, should I only use those printer only when printing photos and keep
using the DeskJet as regular main printer. In other words, use photo printer
with USB and leave the DeskJet in parallel port (since USB is hot-swap)?

Anything else you like to share with me? Any insights? Suggestions? Links?

Thank you.

Chuck

Old November 9th 04, 04:22 PM
James Akiyama

Well, I have direct experience with five of the 4x6 printers; they a

1. HP's
2. Epsons Picturemate
3. Sony's
4. Kodak
6. Canon's CP-330

The first two are ink-jet technology while the last three are dye-sub. All
do a fairly good job, although I've found the Canon printers seem to print a
little green. Part of the answer to your question will probably depend on
your requirements. The smallest printer (and only one that runs on
batteries) is the Canon CP-330 (they also make the CP-200/220 which is the
same size, but doesn't have the battery option). The lowest operating cost
is the Epson (about $0.29 per print list and $0.26 if you shop around for
the supplies).

The cons for the printers a

1. The HP will smudge if the print gets wet. This is true with most HP
ink-jet printers. Their operating cost are also somewhat high since the
cartridge life isn't very good.

2. The Canon printer seems to print a little greenish. This has been true
on three different printer models I've tried and seems to be true base on
other reviews.

3. The Kodak is really designed for their cameras.

My favorite; the Canon for portability and the Epson overall.

James

Old November 9th 04, 05:13 PM
CNT

OK, thanks for the input... interesting. So the 4x6 Epson is good choice (so
far). Also, didn't know about the ink-jet technology vs. dye-sub. Please, I
need more inputs from you guys. I based my buying digital camera decision in
here! Thanks.

Chuck

Old November 9th 04, 08:05 PM
Dave

IMHO... Purely a sales gadget..

The 4x6 printers are generally not worth the high cost of consumables.
Print quality will be no better than WalMart. In fact, you can
typically get the same quality from your existing inkjet printer as
you can from your "super-doooper" 4x6 printer.

The only reason to get one of these is if you have a real need to get
instant prints (as you watch them slooowly come out)... otherwise the
coolness of a 4x6 printer will quickly wear off and you'll have an
expensive paperwieght on your desk.

I'm going to ebay mine (K*dak) as soon as it runs out of paper/ink.

If you are still going to get one... go for a dye-sub unit so you
don't have to deal with ink clogs, etc.

Old November 9th 04, 09:06 PM
CNT

Thanks for the reply... Maybe it is a sales gadget. My wife insists, so
maybe I better explain to her that cons looks heavier than pros.

Chuck

IMHO... Purely a sales gadget..

Old November 9th 04, 09:07 PM
CNT