Question about RAW file and image size

Old November 7th 04, 01:02 PM
Anynomus

Default Question about RAW file and image size

If I take a "RAW" file from my Nikon D1 camera - no editing or adjustments,
I get a 2000x1312 image. Once I edit it( no cropping), not only the file
size increases but the actual size of the image increases. Two questions:
Why does this happen? Do I actually have a bigger file size image that will
produce a bigger print?

Ex: normal raw file - 2000x1312
edited raw file - 2758x2056 - sometimes bigger depending upon
how much adjustments are performed.

Will I be able to get a bigger print from the edited raw file?

Old November 7th 04, 03:39 PM

In message q1pjd.2465$Zl2.1841@trndny01,
"Anynomus" wrote:

If I take a "RAW" file from my Nikon D1 camera - no editing or adjustments,
I get a 2000x1312 image. Once I edit it( no cropping), not only the file
size increases but the actual size of the image increases. Two questions:
Why does this happen? Do I actually have a bigger file size image that will
produce a bigger print?

Ex: normal raw file - 2000x1312
edited raw file - 2758x2056 - sometimes bigger depending upon
how much adjustments are performed.

Will I be able to get a bigger print from the edited raw file?

The camera is 2.74MP, so any image greater than that is using
interpolation. It may avoid pixellation in a print, but will not
increase detail.
--

John P Sheehy

Old November 7th 04, 10:51 PM
Anynomus

Thanks - you are correct. The image size was set to a speciffic crop. I
changed that setting to be unchanged and my images stay the same size now
after being edited.

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message
Anynomus wrote:

If I take a "RAW" file from my Nikon D1 camera - no editing or

adjustments,
I get a 2000x1312 image. Once I edit it( no cropping), not only the file
size increases but the actual size of the image increases. Two

questions:
Why does this happen? Do I actually have a bigger file size image that

will
produce a bigger print?

Ex: normal raw file - 2000x1312
edited raw file - 2758x2056 - sometimes bigger depending

upon
how much adjustments are performed.

What software allows you to edit a RAW file and save it as RAW again
(or NEF I believe with Nikon) ?

I *suspect* you're messing with "inches" and/or PPI(DPI) in whatever
editing software you're using and you have the [resample] function set.

With resample set, you will always come out with more or less pixels
in your image when you adjust the DPI. Turning resample off will
ensure the image keeps the same pixel dimensions after an edit.

There's really no need to adjust the DPI until you actually print
your image. The 'inches' and 'DPI' you see in your editor are meant
to be read by your printer so it knows how big to print the image.

As far as the file size (in bytes).. This most likely has to do with
the fact there are more pixels in the image.. It also has to do with
compression and the format you're saving in.. Different formats allow
for different amounts of compression.