Nikon is quitting LF lenses

Old January 12th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Nikon is quitting LF lenses

"Etaoin Shurdlu" wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote in message

Leica is a footnote.

Bitter, bitter Matt Clara
Couldn't afford the Camera

... refrain

Well, I was tongue in cheek, still, to respond to your comment, I can't
justify the expenditure, anyway, particularly when the camera won't close
focus or do long telephoto. But more to the point, Nikon's introduction of
the F is landmark in terms of moving photojournalists away from a
hodge-podge of cameras including Leica, Rollei, Contax and even Speed
Graphics to 35mm almost exclusively, and SLR's, also almost exclusively: not
the Spotmatic (which is the camera I learned on) not the Argus, which truly
is a footnote, and not Leica, however fine the construction and optics
were/are--though I believe it's true that Leica helped pave the way for the
acceptance of 35mm, but it's also true that because of the great price to
which you refer, the Nikon was more accesible to the average
photojournalist, even though the F's weren't cheap. It's historical fact,
not something I made up.
http://www.cameraquest.com/fhistory.htm

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 12th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

rafe b wrote:

"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message

Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses. They will sell the
remaining stock, and that's the end.

And all film camera bodies -- far more significant, really.

Nope. FM10 & F6 stay; plus a short list of MF lenses.

Doesn't mention anything about AF Nikkors, so I guess they'll still be
available.
Old January 12th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"no_name" wrote in message
rafe b wrote:

"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message

Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses. They will sell the
remaining stock, and that's the end.

And all film camera bodies -- far more significant, really.

Nope. FM10 & F6 stay; plus a short list of MF lenses.

Doesn't mention anything about AF Nikkors, so I guess they'll still be
available.

Since they're still a camera manufacturer, like most camera manufacturers,
they will continue to manufacture lenses for those cameras, and as AF lenses
are just about all they do make, it's a sure bet they'll be making AF
lenses. (Yes, I know, I'm a smart ass, but I'm not sure why you felt the
need to bring it up, or did you think they were going out of business?)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
[...] the Nikon was more accesible to the average
photojournalist, even though the F's weren't cheap. It's historical fact,
not something I made up.

Nikon heavily promoted their S and especially F cameras to the pro
photojournalists - in many cases, Nikon made certain the pros had them at
very reasonable terms. In fact, I recall when a Nikon rep first saw that
the staff had put black tape over the white Nikon nameplate and wailed,
"We're practically giving you those those cameras so people see ya use 'em,
and you guys are covering the brand! What's wit dat?"

Old January 12th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Lorem Ipsum spake thus:

"Matt Clara" wrote in message

[...] the Nikon was more accesible to the average photojournalist,
even though the F's weren't cheap. It's historical fact, not
something I made up.

Nikon heavily promoted their S and especially F cameras to the pro
photojournalists - in many cases, Nikon made certain the pros had
them at very reasonable terms. In fact, I recall when a Nikon rep
first saw that the staff had put black tape over the white Nikon
nameplate and wailed, "We're practically giving you those those
cameras so people see ya use 'em, and you guys are covering the
brand! What's wit dat?"

Why did they (the staff) do that?

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.
Old January 12th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Why did they (the staff) do that?

To discourage the public from pestering them about their camera brand.

Old January 13th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:46:06 +0100, (Ralf R.
Radermacher) wrote:

Michael Benveniste wrote:

Nikon.
http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201

Bummer!

Then again, there should be enough of them around to keep generations of
photographers occupied selling them forth and back on ebay.

Ralf

Unless the "collectors" decide they are the next new thing and they
all start flowing toward safe deposit boxes and air conditioned
storage sheds like all the Leicas, Contaxs, etc.
Old January 13th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Radermacher) wrote:

Michael Benveniste wrote:

Nikon.
http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201

Bummer!

Then again, there should be enough of them around to keep generations of
photographers occupied selling them forth and back on ebay.

Ralf

Unless the "collectors" decide they are the next new thing and they
all start flowing toward safe deposit boxes and air conditioned
storage sheds like all the Leicas, Contaxs, etc.

I think they made too many for that to happen. Ebay's already loaded with
high quality AIS lenses for a song (if $100 is a song...).

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 13th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:53:40 -0500, "rafe b" wrote:

Then I'm glad I got mine when I did. It's
the nicest lens I own, bar none. Even if
it is only f/8.

A real jewel.

90mm ?

JD
Old January 13th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:55:37 -0500, "rafe b" wrote:

And all film camera bodies -- far more significant, really.

My thoughts exactly. No more FM3A's.

JD