Screwed by Canon Rebate

Old February 18th 07, 07:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
measekite

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

At that price it is probably a piece of trash

TJ wrote:
Mary wrote:

I don't have a copier but have had a flatbed scanner for years. They
are not
very expensive compared to other computer parts. Many people now have
all-in-one printers which include scanners and copiers. But if you
need to
make a special trip to make copies of what you need, then yes, its more
trouble, and may not be worth it unless you think the rebate amount
is worth
it.

I've had a flatbed scanner for years, too - at least five. Bought it
online from Office Max for $20 - after rebate. Got free shipping, too.
And I *did* get the rebate, without hassle or delay beyond that stated
on the form.

TJ

Old February 18th 07, 09:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
Bill

measekite wrote:
TJ wrote:

I've had a flatbed scanner for years, too - at least five. Bought it
online from Office Max for $20 - after rebate. Got free shipping, too.
And I *did* get the rebate, without hassle or delay beyond that stated
on the form.

TJ

At that price it is probably a piece of trash

Obviously not since it's still working after 5 years. You don't need a
really high resolution scanner if all you're using it for is scanning
documents.

Bill
Old February 18th 07, 10:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
TJ

Bill wrote:
measekite wrote:
TJ wrote:

I've had a flatbed scanner for years, too - at least five. Bought it
online from Office Max for $20 - after rebate. Got free shipping, too.
And I *did* get the rebate, without hassle or delay beyond that stated
on the form.

TJ

At that price it is probably a piece of trash

Obviously not since it's still working after 5 years. You don't need a
really high resolution scanner if all you're using it for is scanning
documents.

Bill

I'm not concerned with Measekite's opinion. I've dealt with him before
in the printer newsgroup, heard everything he has to say, ad nauseum.
Google his name, if you wish to know more. IMHO, however, it wouldn't be
worth the bandwidth.

My scanner is a Visioneer OneTouch 7600 USB. It's a letter/A4 scanner,
with a native resolution of 600 dpi. The software will interpolate to
1200 dpi using Windows 98. It does still work just fine, though I don't
use it much any more. Mandriva Linux doesn't support it, or any of the
scanners that use the A3 chipset. That is the only reason I don't use it
much anymore. I wish it *was* supported. Measekite will no doubt
consider it a piece of junk because it doesn't do slides or something.
So what? That's not what I bought it for.

I also have the scanner on an HP PSC 2110 that I've had now for three
years. That IS supported by Linux, through drivers supplied by HP. Its
native resolution is also 600 dpi. I see little difference in the output
of the two scanners, so I use the HP because I use Linux far more than
Windows.

TJ

Old February 18th 07, 11:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
Michael Black

TJ ) writes:
Mary wrote:

I don't have a copier but have had a flatbed scanner for years. They are not
very expensive compared to other computer parts. Many people now have
all-in-one printers which include scanners and copiers. But if you need to
make a special trip to make copies of what you need, then yes, its more
trouble, and may not be worth it unless you think the rebate amount is worth
it.

I've had a flatbed scanner for years, too - at least five. Bought it
online from Office Max for $20 - after rebate. Got free shipping, too.
And I *did* get the rebate, without hassle or delay beyond that stated
on the form.

And even today, I've yet to see a scanner for $20, unless it's a used
scanner at a garage sale.

Which says quite a bit about rebates.

Michael

Old February 19th 07, 12:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
Frank

Bill wrote:
measekite wrote:

TJ wrote:

I've had a flatbed scanner for years, too - at least five. Bought it
online from Office Max for $20 - after rebate. Got free shipping, too.
And I *did* get the rebate, without hassle or delay beyond that stated
on the form.

TJ

At that price it is probably a piece of trash

Obviously not since it's still working after 5 years. You don't need a
really high resolution scanner if all you're using it for is scanning
documents.

Bill

Bill, measher****head would buy a bag of **** if it were priced high
enough! :-)
Frank
Old February 19th 07, 04:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
Mary

"TJ" wrote in message
.. .
Mary wrote:

I don't have a copier but have had a flatbed scanner for years. They are

not
very expensive compared to other computer parts. Many people now have
all-in-one printers which include scanners and copiers. But if you need

make a special trip to make copies of what you need, then yes, its more
trouble, and may not be worth it unless you think the rebate amount is

worth
it.

I've had a flatbed scanner for years, too - at least five. Bought it
online from Office Max for $20 - after rebate. Got free shipping, too.
And I *did* get the rebate, without hassle or delay beyond that stated
on the form.

I paid a lot more for my scanner which I bought about 4-5 years ago. You
got a good deal. I'm in Canada. We don't get as many rebates here as US
people get, or as good prices. I paid $70.00 US (so you can compare) for my
scanner which is a Canon.

Mary

Old February 19th 07, 04:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
Mary

"TJ" wrote in message
.. .
Mary wrote:

I don't have a copier but have had a flatbed scanner for years. They are

not
very expensive compared to other computer parts. Many people now have
all-in-one printers which include scanners and copiers. But if you need

make a special trip to make copies of what you need, then yes, its more
trouble, and may not be worth it unless you think the rebate amount is

worth
it.

I've had a flatbed scanner for years, too - at least five. Bought it
online from Office Max for $20 - after rebate. Got free shipping, too.
And I *did* get the rebate, without hassle or delay beyond that stated
on the form.

What make is the scanner? It must be ok if it still works.

Mary

Old February 19th 07, 08:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
measekite

TJ wrote:
Bill wrote:
measekite wrote:
TJ wrote:

[...]

Oh thats software magnification
to 1200 dpi using Windows 98.

Oh thats so outdated it is a joke. Not even supported any more
It does still work just fine, though I don't use it much any more.
Mandriva Linux doesn't support it,

O course not. Unfortunately, that is one of the problems with all Linux
distributions. It does not support many things including Photoshop
or any of the scanners that use the A3 chipset. That is the only
reason I don't use it much anymore. I wish it *was* supported.
Measekite will no doubt consider it a piece of junk because it doesn't
do slides or something. So what? That's not what I bought it for.

How about your Brownie Hawkeye

Old February 19th 07, 08:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:27:29 GMT, measekite wrote in
. net:

Measekite will no doubt consider it a piece of junk because it doesn't
do slides or something. So what? That's not what I bought it for.

How about your Brownie Hawkeye

I'm sure his Brownie Hawkeye is pointed in your direction.
Old February 19th 07, 09:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
TJ

measekite wrote:

TJ wrote:
Bill wrote:
measekite wrote:
TJ wrote:

[...]

Thank you for clarifying that, but I believe that's what I said.

to 1200 dpi using Windows 98.

Oh thats so outdated it is a joke. Not even supported any more

Ah, but it *was* still supported 5 years ago when I bought the scanner.
Not particularly well, since Windows 98 was a joke the day it was
released, but that's another subject.

It does still work just fine, though I don't use it much any more.
Mandriva Linux doesn't support it,

O course not. Unfortunately, that is one of the problems with all Linux
distributions. It does not support many things including Photoshop

I beg to differ. Most scanners are supported by Linux. The A3 chipset
scanners are an exception. And as for Photoshop, versions up to the
latest can be run with a Linux program called WINE. I'm quite sure the
latest version will be runnable with WINE soon.

or any of the scanners that use the A3 chipset. That is the only
reason I don't use it much anymore. I wish it *was* supported.
Measekite will no doubt consider it a piece of junk because it doesn't
do slides or something. So what? That's not what I bought it for.

How about your Brownie Hawkeye

If I could still get film for it, my mother's Brownie would work just
fine, thank you. Good to know you can appreciate one of the historic
cameras that brought photography to the masses.

TJ