Nikon D70 vs Coolpix 8800

Old October 31st 04, 06:45 PM
Patrick Markovic

Default Nikon D70 vs Coolpix 8800

After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?
Old October 31st 04, 07:24 PM
David J Taylor

Patrick Markovic wrote:
After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade
to a newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the
specifications for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a
side-by-side comparison between the two? The only feature of the
Coolpix 8800 that causes me some concern is the turn-on and shutter
lag, the D70 had basically eliminated this lag. Any comments or
advice of users of either of these cameras?

I think you need to define what you want to achieve from your use of these
cameras (type of subject etc.) and be aware of the size and cost
differences for a comparable capability (image stabilised lenses for the
D70 are not cheap). One is a point and shoot with great built-in
capabilities, the other could be heart of a system but requires extra
purchases.

Cheers,
David

Old November 1st 04, 01:15 AM
larrylook

"Patrick Markovic" wrote in message
. ..
After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the

specifications
for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

You need to decide how much time you want to put into this hobby. The D70
has a considerable learning curve, but is a camera you can grow into and
eventually make great pics - if you put in the time. P&S have certain
advantages for those who don't want picture shooting to become too
intellectual or technical.

I decided on d70 over olympus 8080, and glad I did. I enjoy learning about
the d70 little by little. 8080 would perhaps have been adequate for many of
my uses, but not a camera you can grow as much with. Turn on time and
shutter lag are part of advantages, interchangable lens are another. Your
first pictures with d70 may not jump out at you and say "I was taken with a
great camera" though. DSLR - can't use the little screen to compose, must
use viewfinder.

Old November 1st 04, 02:48 AM
Billy V

Patrick,

I was using the Nikon 995 for 2.5 years. I loved it. But alas the
camera has a few problems with focusing. I am hard on cameras. I do a
lot of hiking and rock climbing with them. I have a nasty little 6mm
long by .5 mmm wide crack in the body part (that houses the focusing
mechanism) with lots of dings around the crack.

Two weeks ago I just purchased the D70. I love it. It uses all the
great Nikon lenses that I have for my Nikon N90 film camera. Learning
curve is not that hard. But there is some work in setting up the
features the way you want them

My photos cover everything from Mountains, to portraits, to jewelry
and the D70 seems to be the be working out GREAT.

As for shutter lag... none. I was photographing some remote control
airplanes in the air this afternoon and the photos came out great!

Good luck in choosing a camera, but I have been buying Nikon products
for 37 years and I have never had a bum product, (Well I did, but
Nikon and the dealer replaced it immediately)

BillyV

Old November 1st 04, 03:59 PM
Patrick Markovic

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:24:40 -0000, David J Taylor wrote:

I think you need to define what you want to achieve from your use of these
cameras (type of subject etc.) and be aware of the size and cost
differences for a comparable capability (image stabilised lenses for the
D70 are not cheap). One is a point and shoot with great built-in
capabilities, the other could be heart of a system but requires extra
purchases.

Cheers,
David

David --
Good point. Most of my picture taking is of family members and do
document our travels. I do a lot of scenery pictures and some macro
pictures of flowers, etc. Some of the grandchildren are into sports so try
to take action pictures of them participating.
The 8800 seems to have more of the features that I need, the shutter lag
does cause me some concern in trying to take action pictures. I've gotton
fairly good results with the 995 in depressing the shutter half way and
then fully when the action starts. Years ago I used a Pentax Spotomatic
SLR with an exrta 135mm lens and 3x converter. I have that camera
available for sale but doubt that it has much residual value, haven't used
it in some 5-10 years.

Old November 1st 04, 05:06 PM
David J Taylor

Patrick Markovic wrote:
[]
David --
Good point. Most of my picture taking is of family members and do
document our travels. I do a lot of scenery pictures and some macro
pictures of flowers, etc. Some of the grandchildren are into sports
so try to take action pictures of them participating.
The 8800 seems to have more of the features that I need, the shutter
lag does cause me some concern in trying to take action pictures.
I've gotton fairly good results with the 995 in depressing the
shutter half way and then fully when the action starts. Years ago I
used a Pentax Spotomatic SLR with an exrta 135mm lens and 3x
converter. I have that camera available for sale but doubt that it
has much residual value, haven't used it in some 5-10 years.

If the 8800 has most of what you need, you might be able to save yourself
a little money by getting the Panasonic FZ20 instead. For general and
travel photography the lighter weight and more compact size of a
point-and-shoot system is very important to me. If you can compare these
cameras in a shop you may be able to get a feeling for their capabilities.

Most non-SLR cameras will have more delay in taking than the D70, but you
can sometimes allow for this by half-pressing the shutter release before
taking, or using preset focussing (as focussing often takes the most
time).

Perhaps if your Pentax is in good condition it may be bought by a museum
in 30 - 50 years time? G

Chrers,
David