Pentax optio s4i SD card problems

Old September 20th 04, 06:35 PM
Zahid

Default Pentax optio s4i SD card problems

Hi everyone,
Just recently bought a Pentax Optio s4i and SanDisk 256MB SD card.
Upon putting the card into the card reader and attempting to open the
folder to view the pics...I'm faced with an error message

"I:|DCIM is not accessable - The file or directory is corrupted and
unreadable."

The thing is though, I can still view the photos on the camera...and
I've even copied them from the SD card onto the Camera's internal
memory..and then downloaded the pics.

Anyone had similar problems???

Cheers,

Zahid.
Old September 21st 04, 05:06 AM
andre

Zahid wrote:
Hi everyone,
Just recently bought a Pentax Optio s4i and SanDisk 256MB SD card.
Upon putting the card into the card reader and attempting to open the
folder to view the pics...I'm faced with an error message

"I:|DCIM is not accessable - The file or directory is corrupted and
unreadable."

The thing is though, I can still view the photos on the camera...and
I've even copied them from the SD card onto the Camera's internal
memory..and then downloaded the pics.

Anyone had similar problems???

Cheers,

Zahid.

Some card readers do not support SD cards larger than 128. I just
downloaded a firmware update for my reader to enable it to do this.
Check the manufacturers website (mine was Lexar).

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Old September 21st 04, 11:09 AM
What's In A Name?

Be careful with that camera! I have a friend who bought the S4I and within
1 hour of him using it the camera started to smoke! I've also heard other
stories of this with this model, that is why I got the S4 instead.

om...

Old September 26th 04, 04:22 AM
Fred McKenzie

Just recently bought a Pentax Optio s4i and SanDisk 256MB SD card.
Upon putting the card into the card reader and attempting to open the
folder to view the pics...I'm faced with an error message

"I:|DCIM is not accessable - The file or directory is corrupted and
unreadable."

Zahid-

I have not had this problem with my S4i or reading the 256MB card via an
SD-to-USB adapter. Andre's comment about a card reader limit to the card size,
makes a lot of sense. I suggest you follow his suggestion and check for an
update.

If that does not help, try formatting the card in your camera, rather than just
erasing all the pictures. Formatting in the camera should give you a fresh
start, and ensures that the correct format is used, as compared to a format
using your computer.

Fred

Old September 26th 04, 11:02 PM
Zahid

Hi guys, thanks for tyour advice, much appreciated
I ended up buying another SanDisk 256MB card...just to find out
whether it was the card, or the camera at fault...and it turns out its
neither! Used another brand of SD card that I use in my cell
phone...and it works fine when used in the card reader.

So it seems it was the card reader at fault all along...and I'm now
stuck with 2x 256 MB SD cards....argh!

Thanks for your help though

Zah.