Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotationefficiently?

Old May 7th 13, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshotannotation efficiently?

Mayayana wrote:

Actually I chimed in to provide the minority view.
I find Wolfgang's view -- that anyone who doesn't
use a smartphone must not "get it" -- to be surprisingly

That's NOT WHAT I SAID!

I said:
| Well, of course, if you never *had* a smart phone and really
| used it, you're not likely to understand what you might need it
| for;

This is *vastly* different from "if you don't use it, it's
because you don't get it".

Maybe you need a smartphone to have it read texts to you
aloud, at least then it would be just that you're hard of
hearing instead of functional illiteracy stopping you from
understanding what is actually written.

-Wolfgang
Old May 7th 13, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 3 May 2013 01:59:20 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
Tony Cooper wrote:

I am beyond contract with my mobile phone provider, and they keep
sending me letters that I can get a "free" phone if I re-up. I can
get an iPhone4 for 99 cents. However, the minimum data plan required
is 300 mg at $30 a month, or 3 gigs at $40 a month. Nothing in
between.

That's a cute little phone, but - try as I might - I can't see what
I'd do with it. Searching my memory, I can't think of a single
instance in recent months where I would have liked to have a smart
phone.

So you do carry a dedicated navigation system with you all
the time, and never had the need to kill time waiting by e.g.
browsing news or photos, nor ever had to look up a number, an
address or a description of a thing or procedure or find a
doctor or usable eating place while outside town?

No surprise here, but you've misread my post. I said I can't think of
a single instance in recent months where I would have liked to have
smart phone. That doesn't mean that I haven't been in the situations
you describe. It simply means that I don't consider it an
inconvenience to have dealt with those situations without a smart
phone.

Why just last weekend I was in an unfamiliar part of town, remembered
that I needed some glove lace for my grandson's baseball mitt, and
stopped in a 7/11 to use their phonebook to look up location of a
sporting goods store, bought a cup of coffee to go, and used their
bathroom. Now I know a smart phone would have allowed me to look up
the store without stopping, but I don't think smart phones brew coffee
or have toilet facilities.

I know people who are hard of hearing, who think that everybody
should simply talk louder, because they think they don't need
hearing aids.

Obviously you think that because it's possible to be blissfully
unaware of some technology there can't be any advances in
that technology.

Well, of course, if you never *had* a smart phone and really
used it, you're not likely to understand what you might need it
for; just as someone who only ever had a camera phone probably
won't ever understand what a big, bulky DSLR may be useful for.

I carry a very good point-and-shoot in the car at all times.

Obviously one of the people who can't live without their car.
BTW: The Amish don't need cars to be happy. I don't know if
they have point-and-shoots or not. But they are aware of
both.

-Wolfgang
Old May 7th 13, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Poutnik wrote:

If you see anybody jogging in sport shoes,
call the police immediately.

Worse: almost all criminals ate bread in the 24 hours before
the crime. Connect the dots ...

-Wolfgang
Old May 8th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Lower price of the devices will be the crucial prerequisite for the
| expansion of WP models.
|
| at the end of the day, people want android and ios. they don't want
| windows phone, even though it's a decent mobile os. it doesn't offer
| anything special over the other two, it has less third party support
| and it's also not any cheaper.

Yes. Tile City is shaping up to be a total disaster. Good
riddance. I read last week that Windows Store developers
are losing money because Microsoft was the only one
buying in-app ads and the stopped.

| here's another real statistic: for computers over $1000, apple has 90%
| share.
| http://betanews.com/2010/02/01/nine-...ced-pcs-sold-a
| t-us-retail-is-a-mac/
|
| since you're very concerned on doing 'serious work', this is exactly
| the segment that is most relevant to you. i'm sure your system cost
| more than $1000.

Is that a joke? I make my own. Last time I think
I spent a little over $400. Serious work doesn't require
a high-end gaming box. If I were going to buy off the
shelf I'd probably buy one of those $300 Compaqs.
The cheapest these days are very powerful machines.

| apple doesn't fleece anyone.

$29 for a lightning to Western civilization adapter....
We could go on all day.

| wearable computing will eventually follow, but that's only in its
| infancy now.

If you say so, Buck Rogers. All I can say is I
enjoyed the Google Glass skit on SNL last week.

| btw, how would you classify a hybrid? is it a laptop or a tablet?

A hybrid? You mean like a Surface? To my mind the
obvious difference is keyboard, mouse and large screen.
Tablets are limited by design. Bill Gates has been
desperately trying to rationalize Surface this week by
saying that people are unhappy that they can't use
Desktop software on iPads, but anyone who buys a
Surface expecting to use Desktop software is a nut
and a sucker. (They're very expensive.)

| you're in such denial that you can't accept that apple is not the niche
| player it once was.

Oh, you're such a card.

Old May 8th 13, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 5/6/2013 10:37 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 06 May 2013 14:26:21 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| what i said was that if macs really did have the 5%-10% market share
| that the bashers parrot, why is it that there are consistently so many
| more macs in real world use and in a wide variety of places (not just
| planes)?

It's easy enough to look it up, if you're willing to encounter
facts that you may not like.

it's even easier to look at what real people are actually using, if
you're willing to encounter facts that you may not like.

that is *far* more representative of what's going on in the industry
than anything you could look up.

How can you possibly believe that what one person in a limited
capacity observes contradicts industry figures?

i've seen the market share numbers. they don't mean what you think they
mean. in fact, they mean very little.

apple is making more money than
the rest of the industry combined. so much for market share being
important.

Apple's earnings represent the amount of profit that Apple derives
from the market share they obtain. Apple's market share is the number
of units they move, or number of dollars they invoice, (depending on
how market share is determined) they sell in relation to the total
market.

as expected, you are not answering the question i asked, why is there a
huge disconnect between the 'official numbers' and real world usage
which anyone can see with their own eyes?

There is only a "huge disconnect" in what *you* observe. Those who
engage in professional market analyses are observing numbers you
either don't see or don't choose to see.

Here are figures for online use:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...?qprid=10&qpcu
stomd=0

The figures vary by survey company, depending on the
countries and sites they monitor, but I've never seen
notably high stats for Apple.

so what? apple is an insanely profitable company. they're doing quite
well as it is, so much so that other companies try to copy them.

That well may be, but it doesn't negate the market share numbers. They
do well with the share they get.

you're also assuming market share is the sole metric of success and
that one number is represents something meaningful. you are also
assuming all users are equivalent. they aren't.

Who is? The only statement I've seen is that Apple's market share is
somewhere around 8 to 12 percent. No has said that this is the sole
metric.

Apple used to be around 2% years ago and gradually
went up to 7-8%. If you see higher figures they may
be including phones and tablets. The 7%+- figures are
for "desktops" -- PCs, notebooks and laptops.

in other words, apple's growth is strong. that's a good thing.

there are higher numbers that don't include tablets, but it doesn't
matter. tablets cannot be ignored and must be included.

tablets are expected to outsell laptops next year. mobile devices are
unquestionably the future.

tablets are not toys or fashion accessories. they are real computers
with a huge selection of apps and can be used for a wide variety of
tasks. sometimes they are even a better choice than a laptop. pick the
best tool for the job. many people use both and some people even buy a
tablet *instead* of a laptop.

Most businesses use PCs.

nope. most use *both*.

That's a totally unsubstantiated, grab-your-ass statement. In
addition to claiming you have visual proof that the market share
figure are in error, you now claim some mystic's ability to know what
*most* businesses use. Is this another thing you've observed from an
airplane?

He hs an unusual definition of "most," which differs from most
dictionary definitions.

--
PeterN
Old May 8th 13, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
nospam

In article , Wolfgang
Weisselberg wrote:

Why should Photoshop care for simple annotations of screen
shots? It's a very powerful, mighty package for professional
image work, it's --- as far as I can tell --- as unsuitable
for trivial screenshot annotation as the Gimp.

If a you have Photoshop, as I do, it is hardly unsuitable for trivial
tasks. What is unsuitable is *adding* a program to do a trivial task
when it can be performed easily in Photoshop.

The facts:
a) Photoshop is mighty expensive.

the full version is.

however, elements isn't very expensive ($50-60ish) and is more than
sufficient for the task. it also does a lot more than the free stuff
and is well worth its price.

b) The OP's looking for freeware.
c) You don't need any of the power of Photoshop for screenshot
annotations. (You don't need a Saturn V rocket to manage
the 4 miles to the mall, either, even if your car won't
get you to the moon and you happen to have a spare Saturn V
lying about.)

but he might want to do more than *just* annotations.

d) 'easily' is relative. To you, used to complex manipulations
in Photoshop, 'easy' is one thing, To someone who doesn't
even know where to look for anything in the Photoshop menus.
e) The learning curve for 'easy' in Photoshop is way steeper.

to someone who doesn't know where to look is going to have trouble with
any app.

learning photoshop is not very hard. it's easier than the gimp. it's a
very well designed app. plus, there are a *lot* of resources available
for learning photoshop for anyone who needs it, much more than the
gimp. a quick google search and they'll probably find numerous how-tos,
both text and on youtube.

I don't *need* Photoshop to simply crop an image. But, I have
Photoshop, and use it for more complex editing, so it would be
ridiculous to have a program that crops - and not much more - just
because cropping is under-utilizing Photoshop's capability. It's not
like it's using up a resource to use it for simple tasks.

That's not the point, the example is stupid and does not
apply and you KNOW it. Of course, feel free to fire up
Photoshop for JPEGs that come in via email, rotate them
clockwise by 90° and place them in a directory. I'd use
jpegtran --rotate 90

write a script. photoshop isn't ideal for that, but it will certainly
work. or just set the orientation tag to the desired rotation.

let's see you crop all of the jpegs to a 2:3 aspect ratio with a
scripted command line utility, making sure to not cut off anything
important. that should be interesting. or how about retouching out a
tree, again using a command line.

and why would anyone want to rotate all email photos anyway? can you
say contrived scenario?

(which is, unlike Photoshop, lossless) and a tiny bit glue
script, ONCE, and be done with it forever.

photoshop can do lossless jpeg rotate.
Old May 8th 13, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Lower price of the devices will be the crucial prerequisite for the
| expansion of WP models.
|
| at the end of the day, people want android and ios. they don't want
| windows phone, even though it's a decent mobile os. it doesn't offer
| anything special over the other two, it has less third party support
| and it's also not any cheaper.

Yes. Tile City is shaping up to be a total disaster.

on the desktop it is, but microsoft says they're going to address some
of those issues.

however, on a phone, tiles work fairly well. you can tell at a glance
what's going on. tiles is one of the better aspects of windows phone.

Good
riddance. I read last week that Windows Store developers
are losing money because Microsoft was the only one
buying in-app ads and the stopped.

it's a long term strategy.

whether it succeeds or not remains to be seen. it's not off to a
particularly good start, but it's still a little early to write it off
entirely.

| here's another real statistic: for computers over $1000, apple has 90%
| share.
| http://betanews.com/2010/02/01/nine-...ced-pcs-sold-a
| t-us-retail-is-a-mac/
|
| since you're very concerned on doing 'serious work', this is exactly
| the segment that is most relevant to you. i'm sure your system cost
| more than $1000.

Is that a joke? I make my own.

so what? it doesn't matter who makes it. maybe building it yourself
saves you a little money (if your time isn't worth anything), but
that's about it.

Last time I think
I spent a little over $400.

including the display?

or did you conveniently neglect to include your display, because you
'already had one,' one which you paid for at some point.

what other stuff did you reuse?

and as i'm sure you know, the vast majority of people don't build their
own computers.

Serious work doesn't require
a high-end gaming box.

who said anything about a high end gaming box? $1000 is hardly high end.

If I were going to buy off the
shelf I'd probably buy one of those $300 Compaqs.
The cheapest these days are very powerful machines.

for things like email and web surfing, sure.

for things like cad/cam, video encoding, etc., not so much.

you must not be doing real work if a $300 pc is all you need.

| apple doesn't fleece anyone.

$29 for a lightning to Western civilization adapter....
We could go on all day.

a lightning-usb cable is $19 from apple, not $29, and that's not
fleecing either. besides, this was about macs themselves, not cables.

lightning cables have active components in them. they are not direct
cables. they will always cost more than a straight cable. lightning
also does a *lot* more than usb ever could, which is another reason why
it costs more.

plus, cables are typically high markup items anyway. although a bit
extreme, here's a $74 usb cable:
http://www.staples.com/Monster-Digit...ble-7-ft/produ
ct_405952

even a staples house-brand cable is $1 more than a lightning-usb cable:
http://www.staples.com/Staples-6-Sil...ble/product_83
7370

usb cables are available for less (staples is *not* the best place to
buy them), but you can also get lightning cables for less too. third
parties have some for under $10.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-cont...asttech-lightn
ing-accessories.png

| wearable computing will eventually follow, but that's only in its
| infancy now.

If you say so, Buck Rogers. All I can say is I
enjoyed the Google Glass skit on SNL last week.

give it 5 years. right now, it's an expensive technology demo. the
price will eventually come down and probably sooner than you might
think, where it will become more mainstream.

glass isn't the only implementation of wearable computing. there are
several companies working on smar****ches and there are a few fitness
monitors currently available (e.g., fitbit) too.

| btw, how would you classify a hybrid? is it a laptop or a tablet?

A hybrid? You mean like a Surface? To my mind the
obvious difference is keyboard, mouse and large screen.

i was thinking more along the lines of these:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/envy-x2/overview.html

a windows 8 laptop, but the display can be detached to be a tablet.

Tablets are limited by design.

limited in some ways, not limited in others.

a laptop does not have an accelerometer, gyroscope, gps, compass or
always-on internet (even while sleeping).

having any of those (let alone all of them) opens the doors to a whole
slew of apps that are simply not possible on a normal laptop or
desktop.

why are you so anti-tablet, anyway?

Bill Gates has been
desperately trying to rationalize Surface this week by
saying that people are unhappy that they can't use
Desktop software on iPads, but anyone who buys a
Surface expecting to use Desktop software is a nut
and a sucker. (They're very expensive.)

he said ipad users are frustrated because they can't type on an ipad or
create and edit documents, while microsoft tablets have a keyboard and
can run office so they can easily do that.

obviously, he wants to push his own products but comments like that
just make him look foolish.

apparently he neglected to notice all the bluetooth keyboards that are
available for the ipad, some of which are snap-on covers just like
surface has, and that apple's pages (a word processor) along with
numerous other text editing apps, make it very easy to create and edit
text and also embed drawings and/or photos. an external keyboard isn't
really needed, but beyond a paragraph or two, it's handy.

he is also unaware that microsoft is working on office for the ipad.
now why would they bother to do that, if ipad users can't type on one?
Old May 8th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-05-07 18:35:47 -0700, nospam said:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

$29 for a lightning to Western civilization adapter....
We could go on all day.

a lightning-usb cable is $19 from apple, not $29, and that's not
fleecing either. besides, this was about macs themselves, not cables.

The $19 Lightning to USB cable only serves for USB charging and syncing
between iDevice & desktop/laptop.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...cable?fnode=3a

It cannot be used for camera to iPad transfer, for that you need the
$29 Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=3a

Two

completely different things. That said either version of Lightning to
USB cable cannot be compared with a standard USB-USB cable. Just as the
$19 Apple 30-pin to USB cable cannot be compare to a standard USB-USB
cable.

Savageduck

Old May 8th 13, 03:47 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Shadow

On Wed, 8 May 2013 00:05:12 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

In some backward places of the world marriage might also be
a problem with the wrong genders.

But otherwise: Tell me why it matters to you! Do you routinely
treat people different just because their squiggly bits are
this or that way?

Of course. It's my job.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old May 8th 13, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

$29 for a lightning to Western civilization adapter....
We could go on all day.

a lightning-usb cable is $19 from apple, not $29, and that's not
fleecing either. besides, this was about macs themselves, not cables.

The $19 Lightning to USB cable only serves for USB charging and syncing
between iDevice & desktop/laptop.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...cable?fnode=3a

he said 'western civilization adapter' which i took to mean usb.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...era-adapter?fn
ode=3a

Two completely different things.

that's true, but the camera connector is a more specialized item.

*all* current generation idevices need a lightning-usb cable to charge,
which is why one is included with every device.

that cable can also be used for sync, but syncing can also be done
wirelessly so a cable is not required, although it certainly helps.

however, only those who want to use the ipad with a camera need the
camera connector, which is a relatively small subset of ipad users. it
also only works on ipads, not iphones or ipods, making it even more
special purpose.

That said either version of Lightning to
USB cable cannot be compared with a standard USB-USB cable. Just as the
$19 Apple 30-pin to USB cable cannot be compare to a standard USB-USB
cable.

that's true.

however, it can be directly compared to a samsung 30 pin cable (not
compatible with apple's 30 pin, it's for galaxy products), which just
happens to cost the same as apple's cable.
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab-accessories/ECC1DP0UBEGSTA

samsung also has a camera adapter, and not surprisingly, it costs the
same as apple's camera connector.
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab-accessories/EPL-1PLRBEGSTA

as i said, prices are basically the same when you compare like versus
like, and in this case, *exactly* the same.

you might also notice a bit of a resemblance between the samsung parts
and the apple parts. this is just one of many reasons why samsung was
found guilty of copying apple last summer.