Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotationefficiently?

Old May 4th 13, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Shadow

Default [OT] Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotation efficiently?

On Sat, 4 May 2013 12:31:34 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| You must be old. I am, so I agree with this post.

I'm 57. I know lots of older people who are addicted
to smartphones. (And of course there's Wolfgang.)
But I know what you mean. Younger people have grown
up with cellphones and texting, and younger people
like as much peer feedback as possible. It must be
very hard to resist being in constant contact with
one's buddies. But I worry about them. They have almost
no experience of actual solitude, or formless time, or
self-reliance. Their world is an abstraction, more wired
than physical. One can see it walking down city streets.
People seem to be getting more rude and inconsiderate,
but I don't think that's actually what's happening.
Rather, cellphone addicts are radically separated from
their own physical environment. They're not where they
are, and actually don't regard their physical location as
relevant. ...At least not until they get hit by a truck. I
have a blind friend who complains that in recent years
he's had an increasing problem with people walking into
him. And it's not just hitting his elbow as they walk by. It's
full-speed, head-on collision.

My son has friends all over the world. One day I asked him
what their gender was. He replied "I dunno, I only know their nicks.
Does it matter ? ".
He has yet to talk (face to face) to his neighbors.
I worry about him sometimes. Maybe he's worried about me.
Strange world. Phil K. Dick didn't imagine anything like this.
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old May 4th 13, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Shadow

On Sat, 04 May 2013 21:17:29 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (ES)"
wrote:

On Sat, 04 May 2013 11:26:41 -0300, Shadow wrote:

On Sat, 4 May 2013 09:29:26 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

Funny how people try so hard to "kill time" or "pass the time"
....whenever we're not busy frantically worried about not having
enough time.

You must be old. I am, so I agree with this post.

I refuse to own a phone that's smarter than me. I'd always be looking
over my shoulder.

No need. The phones do that for you.

[]'s
Old May 4th 13, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 04 May 2013 09:45:28 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

I was on the Boston subway yesterday, watching perhaps
1/2 the people diddle their tech. In general it seemed to be
one of two things: listening to music with earplugs or checking
Facebook over and over.

you must have done a *lot* more than just watch them to know
specifically what they were doing on their phones.

the only way to know they were 'checking facebook over and over' would
be by looking over their shoulder directly at their phone. not only is
that rude but it's downright creepy.

It's what young mothers refer to as
a "pacifier" -- something to suck on in order to dull anxiety in
an undisciplined mind. Unfortunately, a toddler (of any age)
with a very entertaining, multi-media pacifier is going to have
a very hard time getting weaned off of it. One becomes a slave
to diddling, unconsciously convinced that mere boredom is a
dangerous bogieman that must be avoided, lest one suffer
some dire but undefined fate.

nonsense.

I'm not anti-tech.

yes you are, but a more appropriate description is you're anti-progress.

Haw!!

I write software and do web design on
the side.

for legacy hardware and legacy operating systems.

you aren't writing apps for mobile devices. that much is clear.

And I'm not against cellphones. I have a Tracphone
in case I need to make a call.

i don't think you realize just how funny that is.

On the other hand,
I have maps in my truck and a small notebook when I need
to write things down.

paper maps are not as up to date and much harder to use while driving.

or are you one of those idiots who unfolds a map while trying to steer?

I read news online and in a newspaper.
I don't need to have the latest "breaking news" while I'm
waiting at a red light or sitting in a dentist's waiting room.
And I certainly don't need to spend upward of $100/month
for that.

there's no need to spend $100/mo.

you are so full of misinformation, it's crazy.

If one actually relates to here and now, it turns out that it
doesn't particularly require chocolate sauce and sprinkles. One
doesn't actually need to find a device to kill the time just
because the mobile over one's crib has stopped spinning.

Funny how people try so hard to "kill time" or "pass the time"
....whenever we're not busy frantically worried about not having
enough time.

who are you to say how someone else spends their time?

Who are you to say how Mayayana should prefer to pass his time?

Eric Stevens
Old May 5th 13, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| you must have done a *lot* more than just watch them to know
| specifically what they were doing on their phones.
|
| the only way to know they were 'checking facebook over and over' would
| be by looking over their shoulder directly at their phone.

No. I could easily see everyone around me.

maybe you could easily see the people sitting on either side of you
(which would still require snooping) but you certainly could not see
the phones across the aisle or even those a couple seats away.

I'm not
sure if it was Facebook.

that's funny. first you say it was either music or facebook, now you
admit you don't really know what it was.

I wasn't close enough to
read, but I could see that nearly everyone was
scrolling through a similar list of rectangles with icons
on the left and small amounts of text. I'm guessing
that was probably their Facebook "wall".

that's even funnier.

icons on the left and text on the right is the standard table view
(also known as a list view).

http://developer.apple.com/library/i...experience/con
ceptual/tableview_iphone/Art/tvcellstyle_subtitle.jpg
http://developer.apple.com/library/i...experience/con
ceptual/tableview_iphone/Art/tv_cell_parts_simple.jpg

just about every iphone app that has a scrolling list uses that view,
including several of apple's own apps. most customize it (cell size,
colour, font, etc.), but it's the same underlying view.

in other words, what you claim to have seen could be any of several
thousands of apps that uses lists.

you just assumed it had to be facebook for some reason.
Old May 5th 13, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

If one actually relates to here and now, it turns out that it
doesn't particularly require chocolate sauce and sprinkles. One
doesn't actually need to find a device to kill the time just
because the mobile over one's crib has stopped spinning.

Funny how people try so hard to "kill time" or "pass the time"
....whenever we're not busy frantically worried about not having
enough time.

who are you to say how someone else spends their time?

Who are you to say how Mayayana should prefer to pass his time?

are you actually saying his snooping on what other people are doing on
their phones is acceptable behaviour??

and even if he does 'accidentally' see it, he's making a big deal out
of what isn't any of his business. so what if someone uses facebook.
they have a billion users, which means the chances of seeing someone
use facebook on a subway is not all that low.
Old May 5th 13, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Funny how people try so hard to "kill time" or "pass the time"
| ....whenever we're not busy frantically worried about not having
| enough time.
|
| You must be old. I am, so I agree with this post.

I'm 57. I know lots of older people who are addicted
to smartphones. (And of course there's Wolfgang.)

how do you know they're addicted?

and how is it different than 'being addicted' to a desktop computer,
other than mobility?

But I know what you mean. Younger people have grown
up with cellphones and texting, and younger people
like as much peer feedback as possible. It must be
very hard to resist being in constant contact with
one's buddies. But I worry about them. They have almost
no experience of actual solitude, or formless time, or
self-reliance.

you don't know what their experience may or may not be, and why does
the experiences of total strangers matter to you?

Their world is an abstraction, more wired
than physical.

so what? the world is changing, whether you like it or not.

One can see it walking down city streets.
People seem to be getting more rude and inconsiderate,

especially those who look over people's shoulders to see what they're
doing.

http://improveverywhere.com/2013/04/30/seeing-eye-people/
Old May 5th 13, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
nospam

In article , Shadow
wrote:

My son has friends all over the world. One day I asked him
what their gender was. He replied "I dunno, I only know their nicks.
Does it matter ? ".
He has yet to talk (face to face) to his neighbors.
I worry about him sometimes. Maybe he's worried about me.
Strange world. Phil K. Dick didn't imagine anything like this.

nothing strange about it. it's one of many things that are different
than how it was when you were a kid.

having friends all over the world is a good thing.
Old May 5th 13, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
nospam

In article ,
POKO wrote:

When I design web pages I'm sitting at my desktop. When I'm on a
bus/subway I'm looking not to miss my stop. I've survived 66 years
without a smartphone and fully intend to punch out without one - I don't
need apps.

then you'd better be planning to punch out in the next couple of years,
because beyond that, it will be difficult to *not* have a smartphone.

If someone tries to call me and I'm on a subway my answering
machine takes the call. I prefer it that way - when I'm not sitting near
a phone I'm free from all the crap that follows it.

who said anything about voice calls? a smartphone can do *so* much more.

I got my wife a
phone (unsmart) to take with her in case her car breaks down. If my
truck breaks down I hoof it to a phone booth - works for me,

that won't work for you when you can't find a phone booth. phone booths
are being removed because just about everyone has a cellphone.

and good luck if you break down on a highway, miles from anything.
that's going to be a *really* long walk.
Old May 5th 13, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| icons on the left and text on the right is the standard table view
| (also known as a list view).

Rectangles, with text, and a small image on the left.
It could be something other than Facebook, but it looked
like Facebook wall boxes, which do not look like a listview.
Whatever it was, nearly everyone was scrolling through
a long line of such rectangles.

Old May 5th 13, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Mayayana

| Who are you to say how Mayayana should prefer to pass his time?
|
| are you actually saying his snooping on what other people are doing on
| their phones is acceptable behaviour??

Somehow my observation about cellphone addicts
on the subway has turned into me being a pervert/peeping
Tom spying on peoples' private lives. Methinks the
closet Facebookie doth protest too much.

Actually I chimed in to provide the minority view.
I find Wolfgang's view -- that anyone who doesn't
use a smartphone must not "get it" -- to be surprisingly
common. It's one thing to find cellphones and GPS
useful. It's quite another to find them constantly
indispensible and to think that maps are outdated and
"hard to use".