Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotationefficiently?

Old April 26th 13, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotation efficiently?

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| pc makers do quite a bit more than build cases,

Yes, they do marketing, warranty support, etc.
But they don't do much of anything else in terms of
hardware.

some might, but definitely not all of them.

| you (incorrectly) claim below that macs are just pcs with an apple logo
| on them.

I said no such thing.

yes you did.

In article , Mayayana
wrote:
But in general Apple is not making hardware any more
than Microsoft or Dell are. They design cases and have them
built at places like Foxconn. Those cases get assembled with
CPUs from Intel, screens from Samsung, etc.

those are your words.

I said PCs (and Macs, too, but
less obviously) are mainly assemblies of components made
by hardware companies, and the builders (Apple, Dell, HP,
Lenovo, etc.) for the most part don't actually make the
hardware. ...You don't have to take my word for it. Look
in the box.

you're the one who needs to look in the box. you're wrong.

you are *so* out of touch with the industry, and in particular, apple.

As you said, "users don't care about individual parts", but
it's useful to understand how the system works.

no it isn't.

people want to get work done, whether it's a spreadsheet, writing a
book, retouching photos, buying stuff at amazon, messaging their
friends or whatever else they like to do. none of that requires knowing
about what goes on inside the box. users do *not* need to know about
cpus, gpus, etc. and how it all fits together to do their work.

same with cars. one need not understand engine design or how to fix a
car to drive to the grocery store or take a weekend trip to the
mountains. if the car breaks down, they call aaa or another roadside
service. some cars can even do this automatically, such as with onstar.

If Danny D.
had understood he wouldn't have lost Windows when his
hard disk failed. If you had understood you wouldn't have
attacked him for letting that happen. (Well, I'm sure you
would have attacked him, but you would have cooked up
another reason.

i didn't attack anyone.
Old April 26th 13, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

In any case, my only real point was to clear
up the misconception that nospam had (and
perhaps many others?) that people with Windows
PCs necessarily have the option to recover
from a failed hard disk.

no misconception. they do have that option.

The rest of my post was
only explaining why it's like that and how the
whole thing works.

except you got so much wrong and continue to get so much wrong.

(With any luck maybe this
thread will convince a few people to make disk
image backups, or at least restore DVDs.)

that would be good.

make multiple backups with at least one off site.
Old April 26th 13, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Where is the Apple hardware company located?

you repeatedly demonstrate your ignorance. do you really not know where
apple is located?? seriously?

here's a clue: apple's main headquarters is cupertino, california. it's
been in cupertino since the late 1970s.

have you been living in a cave for the last 35 years?

They design cases and have them
built at places like Foxconn. Those cases get assembled with
CPUs from Intel, screens from Samsung, etc.

apple does significantly more than that.

True, but again you miss his point.

given that he got so much wrong, what point might that be?

...snip..

In the Windows world there are numerous companies
that buy hardware, put it into a box, and buy Windows OEM
licenses to install Windows on those boxes. Microsoft exert
a lot of control in the sense that they spec general hardware
requirements for a given Windows version and they define
licensing requirements, but Microsoft has no hand in the
hardware. Any company can make processors, drives, RAM,
etc. that are compatible with Windows (as AMD did) and that
hardware can be used by any company to make Windows
PCs. I could open a Windows PC business myself if I wanted
to, building my own boxes, putting my logo on them, and
selling PCs retail.

you could, but it would be a very dumb move.

Another whoosh!

there is no whoosh, except within the void of your head.

opening a pc shop in a declining pc market is stupid. mobile devices
are the future, not legacy desktop pcs.

laptops have long outsold desktops and the pc market is declining. it's
being eaten alive by mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets.

Explain "long" as you used it, in terms of years.

since at least 2005:

http://news.cnet.com/PC-milestone--n...tops/2100-1047
_3-5731417.html

If I am spending time with a nice woman, the term "long" may be
meaningless. OTOH If my hand is touching a hot stove, a fraction of a
second can be an eternity. (With apologies to Einstein.)

what does that have to do with anything?
Old April 26th 13, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| (With any luck maybe this
|
| thread will convince a few people to make disk
|
| image backups, or at least restore DVDs.)
|
| Nice idea but I doubt it.
| How does one do this with windows7 , I've got clones on my Mac HD.

First, I have to say that I have no experience with
VMs and little experience with Macs. My understanding
is that Apple requires you to buy a Full Version DVD of
Windows and oversees the install. In that case you might
be out of luck. On the other hand, if you partitioned
your Mac and installed Windows yourself you should be
able to make a disk image. Sorry I can't tell you more
about the Mac aspect, but maybe a straight Windows
explanation can be useful:

One issue to know about is the licensing. OEM comes on
PCs. It can also be bought online Full Version is what one
usually sees in stores. They're basically the same thing,
except that OEM version is locked to the first PC it gets
installed to, while Full Version can be reinstalled to any
number of PCs, as long as it's one at a time. (The prices
are typically somewhere around $100+ for OEM and
$200-300 for Full.)

I use something called BootIt to do disk imaging,
partitioning, booting, etc. (A very nice little program,
but not free. It's $35.) There are other programs
with more frills, for more money. I always keep disk
images on disk and on CDs so that I can quickly
recover if necessary. The image has most of my
software and setup on it. I just need to back up
data.
That approach also allows me to multi-boot with
Linux, different versions of Windows, etc.

With XP a disk image fits on a CD. Windows Vista/7
is a bloated mess that starts out at 7-9 GB and grows
from there. So it's sloppy for making a disk image.
(Microsoft basically forces people to put a copy of
the whole install DVD into a folder called winsxs. The
result is that Win7 easily deals with most new hardware,
without requiring one to insert the Windows disk, which
is nice. But the price of that convenience is a very big
install that can't be shrunk down without destabilizing
it. Unfortunately, one doesn't get to choose whether
to install the driver collection.)

Nevertheless, if you don't mind using 2 or more DVDs
you can make a Win7 disk image. It's still an NT OS,
just like XP.

Though there are some gotchas. For instance, if you
reinstall to a different partition with XP you need to edit
a text file called boot.ini in order to boot a re-installed
backup. With Vista/7 a similar situation holds true, but
MS has made the job more awkward. (NT allows for
multi-booting. So when you boot a particular OS it checks
it's config. file to see which *partition* you want to boot.
If Windows is on partition 1 and boot.ini says it's on
partition 2 then boot will fail.)
Also, if you want to re-install to a different machine
altogether you may need to uninstall IDE and chipset
drivers before making a disk image.
Likewise, if you move between single and dual-core
processors there's a tricky method to deal with that.

So the disk image is fairly easy, but when you add in
hardware changes and Product Activation issues it can
get tricky. (OEM Windows will not activate on a new
motherboard. With Full Version Windows you'd probably
need to call Microsoft to get a new activation code.)

Those are the kinds of details I was thinking of when I
said that Microsoft has covered all the angles. They
created a system ostensibly to protect themselves from
theft, but given the way it's designed they've managed
to arrange it so that they get people to pay over and over
for the same Windows license, because most people either
don't know the situation or are just too overwhelmed by
the idea of figuring out backup options. Someone like
Danny D. who wants to reinstall Windows will usually end
up at Staples or Best Buy to get a new disk, even though
they've already paid the license fee for Windows. ...Then
they'll get stuck buying a Full Version disk... Then they'll
throw that away when they get another PC because they
don't know any better.

Another option: I haven't done this, but it's my
understanding that Win7 OEM PCs have a function to
create a restore DVD, which is essentially a factory disk
image plus software to install it. A restore disk used to
come with new PCs, but these days they usually only
come with a restore partition on the hard disk. That
option may not be of any use to you on a Mac. Restore
disks are designed to only work with a particular brand
and model PC.

The other option I mentioned is to borrow a copy of the
same Windows license install disk (e.g. a copy of Win7 Full
Version to reinstall Win7 Full Version) and use that with
one's own product key to reinstall to a PC when necessary.
I don't know if that helps you on a Mac. I would think it
should work. The trick would be finding someone with a
Full Version disk.

Old April 26th 13, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/26/2013 10:03 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Where is the Apple hardware company located?

you repeatedly demonstrate your ignorance. do you really not know where
apple is located?? seriously?

here's a clue: apple's main headquarters is cupertino, california. it's
been in cupertino since the late 1970s.

have you been living in a cave for the last 35 years?

So you are saying that Apple does the bulk of its hardware manufacturing
in Cuppertino?

--
PeterN
Old April 26th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| (With any luck maybe this
| thread will convince a few people to make disk
| image backups, or at least restore DVDs.)
|
| Nice idea but I doubt it.
| How does one do this with windows7 , I've got clones on my Mac HD.

First, I have to say that I have no experience with
VMs and little experience with Macs.

that much is very clear.

My understanding
is that Apple requires you to buy a Full Version DVD of
Windows and oversees the install.

your understanding is incorrect, as usual.

all apple's boot camp does is partition the hard drive and install any
necessary windows drivers for the mac hardware. the rest is a standard
windows install. it doesn't matter if it's oem windows or not. boot
camp doesn't know nor care.

the only issue is boot camp no longer supports windows xp, but if you
use an older mac you might still be able to install xp.

virtual machines on a mac support xp and later, along with many other
oses too, including linux and os x itself.

In that case you might
be out of luck.

even if that were true, why would he be out of luck?

On the other hand, if you partitioned
your Mac and installed Windows yourself you should be
able to make a disk image. Sorry I can't tell you more
about the Mac aspect, but maybe a straight Windows
explanation can be useful:

for those who use boot camp, use whatever windows backup software you
would normally use. it's a standard windows install.

for a virtual machine, it's just a big file on the mac hard drive
(really a bundle, but that doesn't matter to users). back it up like
any other file.
Old April 26th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Where is the Apple hardware company located?

you repeatedly demonstrate your ignorance. do you really not know where
apple is located?? seriously?

here's a clue: apple's main headquarters is cupertino, california. it's
been in cupertino since the late 1970s.

have you been living in a cave for the last 35 years?

So you are saying that Apple does the bulk of its hardware manufacturing
in Cuppertino?

i didn't say anything about manufacturing.

look at the back of apple hardware. it says: 'designed by apple in
california'.
Old April 26th 13, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/26/2013 2:52 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Where is the Apple hardware company located?

you repeatedly demonstrate your ignorance. do you really not know where
apple is located?? seriously?

here's a clue: apple's main headquarters is cupertino, california. it's
been in cupertino since the late 1970s.

have you been living in a cave for the last 35 years?

So you are saying that Apple does the bulk of its hardware manufacturing
in Cuppertino?

i didn't say anything about manufacturing.

Last time I looked "hardware" is manufactured. But when you get caught
in a BS statement, you try to attack.

look at the back of apple hardware. it says: 'designed by apple in
california'.

Again, where is it manufactured.
Have children been abused, so you can enjoy your iPad, or Macbook, or
whatever Apple products you use.
That doesn't bother you?

--
PeterN
Old April 26th 13, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Where is the Apple hardware company located?

you repeatedly demonstrate your ignorance. do you really not know where
apple is located?? seriously?

here's a clue: apple's main headquarters is cupertino, california. it's
been in cupertino since the late 1970s.

have you been living in a cave for the last 35 years?

So you are saying that Apple does the bulk of its hardware manufacturing
in Cuppertino?

i didn't say anything about manufacturing.

Last time I looked "hardware" is manufactured. But when you get caught
in a BS statement, you try to attack.

this isn't about manufacturing and nothing i said was bs, nor am i
attacking. three strikes, you're out.

the fact is that apple is a hardware company as well as a software
company, no matter how much you try to twist things.

it's you who is doing the attacking.

look at the back of apple hardware. it says: 'designed by apple in
california'.

Again, where is it manufactured.

irrelevant.

the hardware is designed in california, just the like it says on the
box, by a company that makes a wide range of hardware.

if you think that label is false, file a claim with the federal trade
commission.

Have children been abused, so you can enjoy your iPad, or Macbook, or
whatever Apple products you use.
That doesn't bother you?

the computers you use come from the same factories. doesn't that bother
you?

not surprisingly, you are ignoring that apple is one of the only
companies, if not the only company, that's actually doing something to
improve working conditions.

that means by *not* buying apple, you're actually contributing to the
problem. you're a hypocrite.

but when have facts mattered to you.
Old April 27th 13, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:04:20 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| pc makers do quite a bit more than build cases,

Yes, they do marketing, warranty support, etc.
But they don't do much of anything else in terms of
hardware.

| you (incorrectly) claim below that macs are just pcs with an apple logo
| on them.

I said no such thing. I said PCs (and Macs, too, but
less obviously) are mainly assemblies of components made
by hardware companies, and the builders (Apple, Dell, HP,
Lenovo, etc.) for the most part don't actually make the
hardware. ...You don't have to take my word for it. Look
in the box.

But all the major manufacturers design their own hardware within the
constraints (usually) imposed by industry standards.

As you said, "users don't care about individual parts", but
it's useful to understand how the system works. If Danny D.