Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotationefficiently?

Old April 25th 13, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
Poutnik[_3_]

Default Does any other program (windows or linux) do screenshot annotation efficiently?

nospam posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:02:48 -0400

In article , Poutnik
wrote:

Since you're experienced with freeware, you're aware that the goal
is to have as few programs as possible that get the job done.

I'm not "aware" of that, in fact I disagree. I would far rather
have a larger number of dedicated programs, than a single
jack of all trades.

I suppose the goal is not to have a single program,
tha is able to do everything.....

the goal is to get whatever is necessary to do what the user needs to
do, not meet some goal of having the most or the fewest apps.

This should be obvious.

--
Poutnik
Old April 25th 13, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/25/2013 5:06 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:58:05 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 4/24/2013 4:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

it matters if your time is worth something.

Everyones tinme is worth something, which is one of the reasons for fast
food, it's more expensive too, you pays yuor money and takes yuor choice.

fast food is not always more expensive. compare the price of mcdonalds
to that of a fancy burger place. i've heard of $20 burgers at some
places.

Fast food is neither.

If you want a cardboard taste, just grind up paper, and cover it with
ketchup, cheaper than a big Mac. Less calories too.

When a fast-food place is appropriate for me, I have the Crispy
Chicken Sandwich ( 99 cents ) at Wendy's. It's not bad at all.

HOrses for courses.
Actually the coffee at MacDonald s is not bad, The baked potatoes at
Wendy's are edible. But for me the most important function of fast food
places is that they usually have clean rest rooms.

--
PeterN
Old April 26th 13, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Apple is really just the sole OEM company for MacOS.
|
| And microsoft is the sole OEM for windows.....

In the Windows world OEM (original equipment manufacturer)
refers to the companies that make Windows PCs: Dell, HP,
Levovo, Acer, etc. Microsoft is not an OEM, unless you want
to count the new Win8 Surface.

| They don't make the hardware any
|
| more than Dell does. They just design the package.
|
| And made in their spec'd factories, or are yoyu saying that the dell boxes
are produced in the same plant as the iMac, minis or towers, as I don't
think that's true.

| Dell and Acer all manage to create the illusion
| that they built the hardware,
|
| So if they don;t who does build the harware ?
|
| If you buy a sony hard disc, and a motherboard from Asus, a CD/dvd drive
from poineer, memory from cossair a monitor from LG, Graphics cards might
come from Nvidai and put it together who would you say built the computer ?

I'd say I built it. But I built it in the sense that I
chose and assembled the ten or so parts. I didn't
manufacture it. A PC is an assemblage of
interchangeable components. Dell and Acer are
only building the cases with their logo on them.
The only difference between their PC and the one
I build is that they make the case and I buy the
case.

| companies there's no "Microsoft computer" in the same way
|
| that there's an "Apple computer". (Apple lovers often refer
|
| to "Wintel" because they've been trained to view Macs as
|
| appliances with embedded software, but there was never
|
| such a monolithic Windows hardware brand.)
|
| that's where wintel name came from the MS windows (software) and intel
(hardware), well the processors.

Yes, but what I was getting at is that it's a mistaken view.
Apple people are used to seeing computers as appliances
with embedded software because that's how Apple sells
them. (I wasn't aware that Apple makes their own A4. Though
it's not clear what's meant by them making it. When I looked
it up I found that the processor is essentially a Samsung
design.) But in general Apple is not making hardware any more
than Microsoft or Dell are. They design cases and have them
built at places like Foxconn. Those cases get assembled with
CPUs from Intel, screens from Samsung, etc.

In the Windows world there are numerous companies
that buy hardware, put it into a box, and buy Windows OEM
licenses to install Windows on those boxes. Microsoft exert
a lot of control in the sense that they spec general hardware
requirements for a given Windows version and they define
licensing requirements, but Microsoft has no hand in the
hardware. Any company can make processors, drives, RAM,
etc. that are compatible with Windows (as AMD did) and that
hardware can be used by any company to make Windows
PCs. I could open a Windows PC business myself if I wanted
to, building my own boxes, putting my logo on them, and
selling PCs retail. The only difference between that and
Apple is that Apple maintains control over the whole process.

Old April 26th 13, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Apple is really just the sole OEM company for MacOS.
|
| And microsoft is the sole OEM for windows.....

In the Windows world OEM (original equipment manufacturer)
refers to the companies that make Windows PCs: Dell, HP,
Levovo, Acer, etc. Microsoft is not an OEM, unless you want
to count the new Win8 Surface.

his point is that microsoft is the only company that makes windows,
just as apple is the only company that makes mac os.

| If you buy a sony hard disc, and a motherboard from Asus, a CD/dvd drive
from poineer, memory from cossair a monitor from LG, Graphics cards might
come from Nvidai and put it together who would you say built the computer ?

I'd say I built it. But I built it in the sense that I
chose and assembled the ten or so parts. I didn't
manufacture it. A PC is an assemblage of
interchangeable components. Dell and Acer are
only building the cases with their logo on them.
The only difference between their PC and the one
I build is that they make the case and I buy the
case.

pc makers do quite a bit more than build cases, and the vast majority
of people don't build their own computers anyway.

| companies there's no "Microsoft computer" in the same way
| that there's an "Apple computer". (Apple lovers often refer
| to "Wintel" because they've been trained to view Macs as
| appliances with embedded software, but there was never
| such a monolithic Windows hardware brand.)
|
| that's where wintel name came from the MS windows (software) and intel
(hardware), well the processors.

Yes, but what I was getting at is that it's a mistaken view.
Apple people are used to seeing computers as appliances
with embedded software because that's how Apple sells
them.

you (incorrectly) claim below that macs are just pcs with an apple logo
on them. if you consider a mac to be an appliance, then an equivalent
pc would have to be an appliance too. if you don't consider a pc to be
an appliance, then a mac can't be one either. you can't have it both
ways.

(I wasn't aware that Apple makes their own A4. Though
it's not clear what's meant by them making it.

it's very clear to anyone who pays even a little bit of attention to
the tech industry.

When I looked
it up I found that the processor is essentially a Samsung
design.)

totally wrong. i don't know where you looked but it's definitely not a
samsung design.

the a-series processors are apple's own design, based on an arm core
and currently manufactured by samsung. however, that's changing. future
a-processors are expected to be made by tsmc.

But in general Apple is not making hardware any more
than Microsoft or Dell are.

yes they are.

They design cases and have them
built at places like Foxconn. Those cases get assembled with
CPUs from Intel, screens from Samsung, etc.

apple does significantly more than that.

In the Windows world there are numerous companies
that buy hardware, put it into a box, and buy Windows OEM
licenses to install Windows on those boxes. Microsoft exert
a lot of control in the sense that they spec general hardware
requirements for a given Windows version and they define
licensing requirements, but Microsoft has no hand in the
hardware. Any company can make processors, drives, RAM,
etc. that are compatible with Windows (as AMD did) and that
hardware can be used by any company to make Windows
PCs. I could open a Windows PC business myself if I wanted
to, building my own boxes, putting my logo on them, and
selling PCs retail.

you could, but it would be a very dumb move.

laptops have long outsold desktops and the pc market is declining. it's
being eaten alive by mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets.

The only difference between that and
Apple is that Apple maintains control over the whole process.

wrong again.
Old April 26th 13, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/25/2013 11:04 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| Apple is really just the sole OEM company for MacOS.
|
| And microsoft is the sole OEM for windows.....

In the Windows world OEM (original equipment manufacturer)
refers to the companies that make Windows PCs: Dell, HP,
Levovo, Acer, etc. Microsoft is not an OEM, unless you want
to count the new Win8 Surface.

| They don't make the hardware any
|
| more than Dell does. They just design the package.
|
| And made in their spec'd factories, or are yoyu saying that the dell boxes
are produced in the same plant as the iMac, minis or towers, as I don't
think that's true.

| Dell and Acer all manage to create the illusion
| that they built the hardware,
|
| So if they don;t who does build the harware ?
|
| If you buy a sony hard disc, and a motherboard from Asus, a CD/dvd drive
from poineer, memory from cossair a monitor from LG, Graphics cards might
come from Nvidai and put it together who would you say built the computer ?

I'd say I built it. But I built it in the sense that I
chose and assembled the ten or so parts. I didn't
manufacture it. A PC is an assemblage of
interchangeable components. Dell and Acer are
only building the cases with their logo on them.
The only difference between their PC and the one
I build is that they make the case and I buy the
case.

There is another difference. Dell will use whatever parts they can get
cheaper that week.

--
PeterN
Old April 26th 13, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| So a stupid little battle of words.

Perhaps. Clarity seems to be elusive in this
discussion.

In any case, my only real point was to clear
up the misconception that nospam had (and
perhaps many others?) that people with Windows
PCs necessarily have the option to recover
from a failed hard disk. The rest of my post was
only explaining why it's like that and how the
whole thing works. (With any luck maybe this
thread will convince a few people to make disk
image backups, or at least restore DVDs.)

Old April 26th 13, 01:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/26/2013 1:06 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Apple is really just the sole OEM company for MacOS.
|
| And microsoft is the sole OEM for windows.....

In the Windows world OEM (original equipment manufacturer)
refers to the companies that make Windows PCs: Dell, HP,
Levovo, Acer, etc. Microsoft is not an OEM, unless you want
to count the new Win8 Surface.

his point is that microsoft is the only company that makes windows,
just as apple is the only company that makes mac os.

| If you buy a sony hard disc, and a motherboard from Asus, a CD/dvd drive
from poineer, memory from cossair a monitor from LG, Graphics cards might
come from Nvidai and put it together who would you say built the computer ?

I'd say I built it. But I built it in the sense that I
chose and assembled the ten or so parts. I didn't
manufacture it. A PC is an assemblage of
interchangeable components. Dell and Acer are
only building the cases with their logo on them.
The only difference between their PC and the one
I build is that they make the case and I buy the
case.

pc makers do quite a bit more than build cases, and the vast majority
of people don't build their own computers anyway.

Whoosh!

| companies there's no "Microsoft computer" in the same way
| that there's an "Apple computer". (Apple lovers often refer
| to "Wintel" because they've been trained to view Macs as
| appliances with embedded software, but there was never
| such a monolithic Windows hardware brand.)
|
| that's where wintel name came from the MS windows (software) and intel
(hardware), well the processors.

Yes, but what I was getting at is that it's a mistaken view.
Apple people are used to seeing computers as appliances
with embedded software because that's how Apple sells
them.

you (incorrectly) claim below that macs are just pcs with an apple logo
on them. if you consider a mac to be an appliance, then an equivalent
pc would have to be an appliance too. if you don't consider a pc to be
an appliance, then a mac can't be one either. you can't have it both
ways.

Another Whoosh!

(I wasn't aware that Apple makes their own A4. Though
it's not clear what's meant by them making it.

it's very clear to anyone who pays even a little bit of attention to
the tech industry.

When I looked
it up I found that the processor is essentially a Samsung
design.)

totally wrong. i don't know where you looked but it's definitely not a
samsung design.

the a-series processors are apple's own design, based on an arm core
and currently manufactured by samsung. however, that's changing. future
a-processors are expected to be made by tsmc.

But in general Apple is not making hardware any more
than Microsoft or Dell are.

yes they are.

Where is the Apple hardware company located?

They design cases and have them
built at places like Foxconn. Those cases get assembled with
CPUs from Intel, screens from Samsung, etc.

apple does significantly more than that.

True, but again you miss his point.

In the Windows world there are numerous companies
that buy hardware, put it into a box, and buy Windows OEM
licenses to install Windows on those boxes. Microsoft exert
a lot of control in the sense that they spec general hardware
requirements for a given Windows version and they define
licensing requirements, but Microsoft has no hand in the
hardware. Any company can make processors, drives, RAM,
etc. that are compatible with Windows (as AMD did) and that
hardware can be used by any company to make Windows
PCs. I could open a Windows PC business myself if I wanted
to, building my own boxes, putting my logo on them, and
selling PCs retail.

you could, but it would be a very dumb move.

Another whoosh!

laptops have long outsold desktops and the pc market is declining. it's
being eaten alive by mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets.

Explain "long" as you used it, in terms of years.
If I am spending time with a nice woman, the term "long" may be
meaningless. OTOH If my hand is touching a hot stove, a fraction of a
second can be an eternity. (With apologies to Einstein.)

--
PeterN
Old April 26th 13, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| There is another difference. Dell will use whatever
| parts they can get cheaper that week.

They have developed a bad reputation in recent
years. They also seem to use a lot of custom spec
stuff. While the other companies usually have pretty
much off-the-shelf hardware in their boxes, Dell
sometimes has quirky hardware that can't be reused
elsewhere. And they repackage drivers so that one has
to get them from the Dell site. They're taking an extra
step to make it look like they actually made the hardware.
Their system can work pretty well. Anyone with a Dell
can easily find out what's in their box and download
Dell drivers for it. But that also locks people with Dells
into Dell support unnecessarily. I'd never buy one of
their PCs for that reason.

Old April 26th 13, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| pc makers do quite a bit more than build cases,

Yes, they do marketing, warranty support, etc.
But they don't do much of anything else in terms of
hardware.

| you (incorrectly) claim below that macs are just pcs with an apple logo
| on them.

I said no such thing. I said PCs (and Macs, too, but
less obviously) are mainly assemblies of components made
by hardware companies, and the builders (Apple, Dell, HP,
Lenovo, etc.) for the most part don't actually make the
hardware. ...You don't have to take my word for it. Look
in the box.

As you said, "users don't care about individual parts", but
it's useful to understand how the system works. If Danny D.
had understood he wouldn't have lost Windows when his
hard disk failed. If you had understood you wouldn't have
attacked him for letting that happen. (Well, I'm sure you
would have attacked him, but you would have cooked up
another reason.

Old April 26th 13, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/26/2013 8:50 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| There is another difference. Dell will use whatever
| parts they can get cheaper that week.

They have developed a bad reputation in recent
years. They also seem to use a lot of custom spec
stuff. While the other companies usually have pretty
much off-the-shelf hardware in their boxes, Dell
sometimes has quirky hardware that can't be reused
elsewhere. And they repackage drivers so that one has
to get them from the Dell site. They're taking an extra
step to make it look like they actually made the hardware.
Their system can work pretty well. Anyone with a Dell
can easily find out what's in their box and download
Dell drivers for it. But that also locks people with Dells
into Dell support unnecessarily. I'd never buy one of
their PCs for that reason.

Yet it blows my mind that they have such a large commercial base.

--
PeterN