Boycott Panasonic cameras - forced proprietary battery use in firmware

Old June 20th 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default Boycott Panasonic cameras - forced proprietary battery use in firmware

Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware

Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...vicenotice.asp

What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 20th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware

Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify genuine
Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party battery
packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety of its
users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal heating
or short circuit in third-party batteries.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...vicenotice.asp

What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

Before screaming "boycott" like some 1970's shop steward you might like to
consider that fake batteries could be a problem.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Old June 20th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 20-06-09 16:48, Charles E Hardwidge wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware

Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify genuine
Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party battery
packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety of its
users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal heating
or short circuit in third-party batteries.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...vicenotice.asp

What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

Before screaming "boycott" like some 1970's shop steward you might like to
consider that fake batteries could be a problem.

As I use 3rd party batteries (at 1/3 the Sony price) and have had no
issues, why not? Most of these 3rd party batteries, esp. Li-ion, have
the protection circuit built in and this is stated on their product
sheets. And that is what I checked (via the re-seller) when I bought them.

All this is is a ploy to force OEM battery purchases.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 20th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
daveFaktor

Alan Browne wrote:
Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware

Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...vicenotice.asp

What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

So what's new? Fuji have been doing that - a little differently for
years with the s5 Pro. That doesn't stop me using cheap Chinese
batteries in it. I just have to reset a chip. No different than using
knock-off inks in your Epson printer.

Get a life Alan. Panasonic have as much right to make their cameras out
of whatever they feel like as the company you worked for does to use
proprietor gear in their radar - you can only get from them. Or is it
different when it affects you personally?

--
You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop laughing!

Old June 20th 09, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

[...]

Sure, I accept there can be a forced OEM purchase angle as well as it being
a way to head off iffy third-party sweatshop parts. Those are the extremes
of control and greed, and you get it in the pharmaceutical, IT, and print
industries. It's dumb but there you go.

Personally, I'd favour third-party parts going through an independent and
none discriminatory quality assurance process. Chips could help verify parts
meet acceptable criterion and help push fake and potentially damaging parts
off the board. Everyone's a winner.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Old June 20th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

"daveFaktor" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I wanted to make babies with this 10 tentacled alien that dropped down
in my back garden last night but the DNA lock in was a bitch.

Actually, one thing that does irritate me is the way manufacturers dick with
stuff so an upgrade becomes a downgrade. Canon stripped all the manual
features from their Ax000 range forcing new customers to buy S series
cameras at twice the price. Bit naughty, that.

It's going off topic but I plan on keeping my A590 IS forever even when I do
jump for a mid-range or dSLR sometime.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Old June 20th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 20-06-09 17:46, Charles E Hardwidge wrote:
[...]

Which would drive up the price. There is no reason to be suspicious of
suppliers who put up all their data and who have a good rep.

I found a deal, looked up the supplier, spec, phoned the distributor and
checked out the batts before buying.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 21st 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
ray

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:34:57 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware

Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...vicenotice.asp

What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

I doubt Sony would worry themselves over such an issue - after all many
of their cameras already require proprietary memory cards!
Old June 21st 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On 20-06-09 17:46, Charles E Hardwidge wrote:

Personally, I'd favour third-party parts going through an independent and
none discriminatory quality assurance process. Chips could help verify
parts meet acceptable criterion and help push fake and potentially
damaging parts off the board. Everyone's a winner.

Which would drive up the price. There is no reason to be suspicious of
suppliers who put up all their data and who have a good rep.

I found a deal, looked up the supplier, spec, phoned the distributor and
checked out the batts before buying.

That's possible but fakes aren't cost free in terms of policing, employment
conditions, preserving trade marks, and consumer safety. Fake car brake pads
used to be a favourite. Now, I hear, memory on EBay is another.

There's a big ding-dong over banking regulation in the UK. The generic
arguments are similar. Loose regulation can work but it falls down when
banks are run by shysters. Then, you have the knee-jerk problem of too much
regulation which falls down when *sigh* banks are run by shysters.

Quality and trust are important so, yes, I agree that credible specs and a
good reputation are important. After last weeks fiasco, I'd like to see a
bit more of that in the hardware calibration industry. Reviews seem based
more on the colour of the box and what everyone else is doing rather than
giving hard meaningful numbers for calibrator and software accuracy.

This is tipping in to Zen (which I'm never more than half a step away from
talking about) but I find the aims and values of Peter F Drucker and David
Ogilvy on management and advertising, respectively, to be better than the
bull**** and balls path many have gone down over the past few years.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Old June 21st 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

:
: Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
: including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
: genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
: battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
: of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
: heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
:
: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...vicenotice.asp
:
: What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

Surely you jest. Sony is the company that once sneaked operating system
changes into users' computers to prevent them from "stealing" content from
Sony CDs.

A few years ago laptop batteries sold by Dell and several other manufacturers
started exploding and starting fires. Some of the manufacturers had to issue
recalls. Who actually made the offending batteries for those manufacturers?
Sony.

I think it's fair to say that if there's a way to make an extra buck, it has
already occurred to Sony.

Bob