light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

Old June 18th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

Default light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
(pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000 tripod
weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
least 5 ft tall.

Old June 18th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
simon steel

Velbon CX-mini.
http://www.jessops.com/Store/s25338/...d/details.aspx
I took one of these to peru... ideal for lightweight occasional use.
Small enough and light enought that you'll actually carry it.. rather than
leaving it back in the hotel..

SS

Old June 19th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John[_17_]

simon steel wrote:
Velbon CX-mini.
http://www.jessops.com/Store/s25338/...d/details.aspx
I took one of these to peru... ideal for lightweight occasional use.
Small enough and light enought that you'll actually carry it.. rather than
leaving it back in the hotel..

SS

Since when did 64cm equate to a height of 5ft?

John.

Old June 19th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"peter" wrote

I'm traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
(pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
tripod weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in
a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be
at least 5 ft tall.

Have a look on eBay. If your version is anything like the Aussie one, there
will be at least a couple of sellers offering (repeatedly) lightweight
Chinese tripods which, although junk, are adequate for a trip away, and
extend to over my head height (170 cm). And if one of the legs falls off
after a week or two, you've only lost $10-15 including postage.

I use mine with both a Coolpix 995 and a D8 video camera (although it really
is too flimsy for something that heavy.)

Paul

Old June 19th 08, 08:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood[_4_]

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:59:38 +0000, peter wrote:

I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
(pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
tripod weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g.
in a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to
be at least 5 ft tall.

A light camera needs a heavy tripod for the inertia.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old June 19th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

peter wrote:
I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
(pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000 tripod
weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
least 5 ft tall.

Are you sure? I've got tremendous mileage out of a table top tripod.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nik_tripod.jpg

I can *normally* find something to stand it on (I've often
used chairs in churches).

I've also used the tripod held against a wall for a long-ish exposure
with no trouble

Mundane examples:

Station: 6 second exposure, of the parapet of the bridge crossing the line

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ch/station.jpg

Park: 13 second exposure, tripod on top of waste bin

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2..._tech/park.jpg

BugBear
Old June 19th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:25:15 +0100, bugbear
wrote:

peter wrote:
[...]

Inventiveness has always been useful in photography. When a relative
was visiting from Ireland, and wanted some group pictures that
included everyone, we were at the beach with no one around to take the
picture. The only object around tall enough to place the camera on
was a waste receptacle with a round top.

I took a bag that was part of a folding beach chair set, filled it
with sand from the beach, and draped it over the waste receptacle.
That provided a steady platform for the camera set with the
self-timer.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 19th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

tony cooper wrote:

Inventiveness has always been useful in photography. When a relative
was visiting from Ireland, and wanted some group pictures that
included everyone, we were at the beach with no one around to take the
picture. The only object around tall enough to place the camera on
was a waste receptacle with a round top.

I took a bag that was part of a folding beach chair set, filled it
with sand from the beach, and draped it over the waste receptacle.
That provided a steady platform for the camera set with the
self-timer.

Yeah; it seems a shame to have a compact (easy to carry)
camera, and then conclude you need a big tripod :-(

BugBear
Old June 20th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Joseph Meehan wrote:
"peter" wrote in message
I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
(pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
tripod weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in
a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be
at least 5 ft tall.

If you want something five foot tall, no matter what the camera size is,
you need something sturdy and solid, or you should not bother at all since
it will not hold it steady.

If you're indoors and the floor is solid and you use a remote shutter
release a light flimsy tripod will hold your camera as steady as
anything else.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old June 20th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Morton

peter wrote:
I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
(pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000 tripod
weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
least 5 ft tall.

Hi,

If you are taking pix of stationary things, e.g. a cathedral, try using
the self-timer instead of the shutter release. This prevents the slight
camera movement caused by a finger pressing the shutter release. A
beanbag or sandbag is also helpful.

Morton