video: Photosynth + Seadragon = "All your photos are belong to us"

Old June 9th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
AnonGoo

Default video: Photosynth + Seadragon = "All your photos are belong to us"

A presentation at the TED2007 (Technology, Entertainment, Design)
Conference demoing integration with Seadragon (acquired by M$ in Feb
2007), now Photosynth is one step closer to rulez all our photos... At
http://geekvideo.blogspot.com/2007/0...ur-photos.html

Old June 11th 07, 08:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Noah Stevens

Holy Christ! That's amazing. I don't know if I am shocked or awed or both.
The ramifications of this software in our personal and private and public
lives will be absolutely astounding.

Take for instance, the recent hullaballoo about the google earth photos of
peoples' streets and communities in cities. "Webcams" (webbed cameras?)
watching your street? How about some software bot putting together a model
of your backyard from the various and sundry photos you may post on flickr.
That sound appealing to you?

On the other hand, the demonstration of the Notre Dame pictures just floored
me. Do you know how many photos have been taken of the Eiffel Tower, for
instance? How about Times Square? Speaking of which, I wonder how the
software would handle non-static images in its computations of a model of a
place... Would flickering billboards and people standing in the way of
landmarks give it pause? Judging by the demonstration, it doesn't look like
it stuttered too much.

What a wonderful and scary time we live in. I think I'll just go and take
all the pictures of my friends off of myspace and photobucket, and close my
windows. Turn on my computer and wait to virtually visit some street cafe
in Amsterdam.

oups.com...

Old June 11th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
No One[_2_]

AnonGoo wrote:
A presentation at the TED2007 (Technology, Entertainment, Design)
Conference demoing integration with Seadragon (acquired by M$ in Feb
2007), now Photosynth is one step closer to rulez all our photos... At
http://geekvideo.blogspot.com/2007/0...ur-photos.html

My god, can that guy slow down a bit? His voice sounds like IT is
computer generated.
Old June 11th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Dave[_7_]

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:25:51 -0400, No One
wrote:

AnonGoo wrote:
Holy Christ!

My god,

Idiots - who do you think you are talking to:-(

Old June 12th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
KatWoman[_2_]

"Noah Stevens" wrote in message
[...]

"AnonGoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
A presentation at the TED2007 (Technology, Entertainment, Design)
Conference demoing integration with Seadragon (acquired by M$ in Feb
2007), now Photosynth is one step closer to rulez all our photos... At
http://geekvideo.blogspot.com/2007/0...ur-photos.html

wonder if they are paying royalties on all that intellectual property they
are using???
MS sure want their royalties for music, movies, etc
they are not very sharing in reverse of their stuff
will they ask our permission to "bot search" all our web shots?

the software is mind boggling
and very incredible
I am sure we will all have fun using it
BUT it is very big brother

Having software to eliminate having to tag images with words will be useful
I was wondering if it will be any use on portrait pictures
or maybe it will do face recognition?
and reconstruct us humans from bits of photos too??
o so weird

Old June 12th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
=\(8\)

Copyright issues aside. Personally I was impressed enough that if they used
any of my images the wow factor they created with that was enough I would
let it slide. Frankly, I haven't been that impressed in quite sometime. What
most companies call ground breaking lately has been more of a yawn that wow.
Kind of like the Shock and Awe of the Iraq war. Well, I guess it was shock
and awe. Socked it was so poorly planed and awed that it still isn't any
better planned.

Anyways it will be interesting to see what if anything this technology comes
to for the consumer. If it going to be limited to only services like
Flicker, Google, etc. then I am much less impressed. However, if Microsoft
puts out software for the rest of us that lets us use this on our computers
and our own web sites then I will be even more wowed.

=(8)

Old June 13th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Aaron

And lo, =(8) emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
Copyright issues aside. Personally I was impressed enough that if they used
any of my images the wow factor they created with that was enough I would
let it slide. Frankly, I haven't been that impressed in quite sometime. What
most companies call ground breaking lately has been more of a yawn that wow.
Kind of like the Shock and Awe of the Iraq war. Well, I guess it was shock
and awe. Socked it was so poorly planed and awed that it still isn't any
better planned.

Anyways it will be interesting to see what if anything this technology comes
to for the consumer. If it going to be limited to only services like
Flicker, Google, etc. then I am much less impressed. However, if Microsoft
puts out software for the rest of us that lets us use this on our computers
and our own web sites then I will be even more wowed.

=(8)

Just remember that every time you give up a right in the name of wow
factor, security, or anything else, you'll be hard pressed to ever get
it back.

That said, I think Microsoft will be cognizant of copyright issues.
Certainly Flickr provides internal support for copyright and if
PhotoSynth uses their API, that data will be right there. As for
scraping the web... Isn't that the risk you take by placing any image
on the web? Another reason to either watermark or stop caring or both.

You can't have exposure without risking... You know, exposure. If you
only want people to look, have gallery shows and nothing else. It's
not unheard of. Or post ridiculously small images. Or my least
favorite option, plaster them with watermarks like you're a stock
agency.

--
Aaron
http://www.fisheyegallery.com

Old June 13th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
=\(8\)

"Aaron" wrote in message
[...]

You are of course correct as the Bush administration has proven. You give
the a rights inch and they go and take a mile behind your back. However, in
this case in the computer world these days especially there really is so
little that wows that I don't think we are in much danger. Nothing Apple,
Intel, AMD, Adobe or any other company has done for the last 10 years has
been wow. Sure the updates are fine, but not oh my god wow type things. If
this technology from MS is ever released for the consumer it would be a wow
type thing on a major scale. If it is released for use by Google, and
companies like that then not so much.

=(8)

Old June 13th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Aaron

"Aaron" wrote in message
[...]

I thought that OS X was "wow."

Old June 26th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.video.desktop,alt.graphics.photoshop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Noah Stevens

Dear Dave,

I am sorry if I gave offense with my opening, and I am not trolling for a
flame war or anything, but calling anyone an idiot offhand is not
appropriate or courteous, I think. I will be wary of pseudoreligious
exclamations in the future. Thanks for your forbearance and understanding
in these matters, and for the lively discussion you brought to the group. I
hope to hear from you in the future and will try to keep from offending you
or others down the road.

Yours,

Noah