Battery question before I tear a new one into a camera company.

Old May 11th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Battery question before I tear a new one into a camera company.

Hey got a quick question on batteries. I was 'offered' a deal on what
even as he spoke I assumed to be a bait a switch tactic from a internet
company called 'prestige camera'.

Needed to phone in to confirm mailing address. Once on I got nailed
with buy this, buy that, do you want extended warrenty etc. I of course
said no to all, then he stated, we have a 2800mah replacement battery
that will last 4x longer then the 720mah standard kodak klic-7001.
Without any additional information in front of me nor a part number for
the battery, went sure.. cost $50.

Package arrives today, camera is as stated a kodak v570 complete
package. BUUUUTT.. battery is a db-7001 rated for 800mah not 2800mah. A
battery which in about 30 seconds online now that I have a part number
is worth $20.

Is there any reason to feel at all that the replacement battery would
last longer then the 720 other then the slightly higher mah rating?

Either way he nailed me with a $30 bonus charge.

Shoulda known better as I got a 2gig sd stick at $110 from bestbuy
already knowing their site charges well over $300 for the 1gig.

And invoice shows $354.99 for camera, no price for battery.

I will state that the camera was at the lowest price out there, $302.
But I how no doubt I just got nailed for the bait and switch scam.

Back to the topic at hand, is there any reason to beleive that battery
will last any longe rthen the standard kodak?

I consider myself pretty tech savy at least on the computer side. I
must have blinked. At least I only blinked for $30 and the final tally
is only about the bestbuy price after mail in rebate. Yes Im ranting
too haha.

Old May 11th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 11 May 2006 13:18:24 -0700, pauly wrote:

I will state that the camera was at the lowest price out there, $302.
But I how no doubt I just got nailed for the bait and switch scam.

Back to the topic at hand, is there any reason to beleive that battery
will last any longe rthen the standard kodak?

I consider myself pretty tech savy at least on the computer side. I
must have blinked. At least I only blinked for $30 and the final tally
is only about the bestbuy price after mail in rebate. Yes Im ranting
too haha.

As you already noted, 720 mAh is less than 800 mAh, so the
replacement battery should last longer. But there's no guarantee
that it will. If you really want to compare battery capacities, use
both similarly (don't use flash with one battery but not with the
other) until they can no longer keep the camera powered on. Measure
the time the batteries take to reach full charge, and the one that
takes longer should have the *real* higher capacity. The batteries
should weigh approximately the same amount. If the genuine Kodak
battery is noticeably heavier and you want to get another battery,
you'll probably want to look elsewhere for replacements.

If the camera arrived with all of the normally included bits, and
is in good condition, then despite the annoyance, you actually came
out ahead, since you could have paid about the same amount from
BestBuy, but you'd have to wait for the rebate to arrive (and
sometimes they don't) and you would have had to pay taxes on the
rebate amount, and whether the spare battery turns out to be a good
one or only fair, it was essentially free, based on BestBuy's price.
This wasn't the kind of deal that warrants a rant, even thought it
was heading in that direction.

Old May 12th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

OMG I consider myself computer savy, have bought $1000's over the years
online but ive never been scammed until now.

There are thousands and thousands of bad reviews for this and their
clone companies.

I consider myself lucky if all I lost was the $30. From what Ive read
many have items 'stolen in shipment', empty boxes arrive or credit card
charges far beyond the invoiced purchase. Checked mine and no on that
one.

What I cant tell and trying to research is if I received a 'refurbished
item' ie no warranty if it is was to stop working. (appears to be
working on my first initial tests though).

I mean the real warranty is only 90 days anyways and my old dc290 is
still running fine 5 years later.

I kid you not 'prestige camera' as stated by many online goes out of
their way to scam. To the point where they must expend more money and
time scamming then if they ran a legitimate buisness. A company
incapable of telling the truth even if the truth is actually in there
own interest and profit.

Old May 12th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

pauly wrote:
[...]

Chalk it up to 'a learning experience'. Next time, go ahead and buy
from a local dealer. At least if you feel cheated there, you have
someone to look in the eye. Now what do you need with a 2Gb card for a
camera like that???
Old May 12th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

pauly wrote:
[...]

You might want to pay more attention to the company rating in the future
than the price...
Old May 12th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I dont remember there being a company rating on the site that listed it
at $302. That or I was blind.

2gigs, why thats barely enough. You can only take a total of 57 mins of
video on the 2gig card, which apparently is about as long as a fully
charged klic-7001 battery will last.

But I will be buying a external charger and another battery or 2 (at
$20 haha).

I got faint dreams of creating a inexpensive tourist info video in
south east asia. When I do that I will buy a hdtv camcorder. But on my
first trip ill just use the video on the v570 which will give me a feel
for recording. That and a lot of practice and maybe a class or 2 on the
hdtv camcorder before flying over.

A manila-subic-cebu-baguio dvd for $20, probably with a proper voice
over with a canadian that still maintains a philippino accent.

Old May 13th 06, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

pauly wrote:
I dont remember there being a company rating on the site that listed it
at $302. That or I was blind.

2gigs, why thats barely enough. You can only take a total of 57 mins of
video on the 2gig card, which apparently is about as long as a fully
charged klic-7001 battery will last.

But I will be buying a external charger and another battery or 2 (at
$20 haha).

I got faint dreams of creating a inexpensive tourist info video in
south east asia. When I do that I will buy a hdtv camcorder. But on my
first trip ill just use the video on the v570 which will give me a feel
for recording. That and a lot of practice and maybe a class or 2 on the
hdtv camcorder before flying over.

A manila-subic-cebu-baguio dvd for $20, probably with a proper voice
over with a canadian that still maintains a philippino accent.

You would do much better to buy a good video camera instead of using a
screwdriver to drive nails.
BTW, 2GB SD cards go fro about $60 around here.....
Old May 17th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

On 11 May 2006 13:18:24 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "pauly"
wrote:

Hey got a quick question on batteries. I was 'offered' a deal on what
even as he spoke I assumed to be a bait a switch tactic from a internet
company called 'prestige camera'.

says it all.
--
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
http://EdwardGRuf.com

For future reference, if it's not B&H or someone that you've done business
with before, check resellerratings. If there are really bad ratings, walk
away. If there are _no_ ratings, walk away.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate