Nikon D100 flash photography

Old July 4th 04, 05:13 AM

Default Nikon D100 flash photography

Ever since I bought my D100 a year ago, whenever I wanted to use the
pop-up flash, I simply popped it up and took the picture. I was
recently re-reading the manual (I gave it a quick scan last year
without a thorough reading) and see that I should be flash-synching
the camera before using the pop-up flash. Is this correct? Have I been
doing this wrong all along? I know reading the manual is a must, but
it was a crash course before my Daughter's wedding last year. Thanks.

Old July 5th 04, 03:02 AM

Thanks. But so I'm sure about this, I'm not making any selections,
just popping the flash up and taking the picture. Is there a built-in
default that you're referring to? I can see the choices: front curtain
synch; red-eye reduction; red-eye reduction with slow synch; slow
synch and rear curtain synch. Those I seem to have to actually choose
using the flash synch mode button and command dial. But am I alright
99.99% of the time if I don't use that button and dial? Thanks again.

You do have choices in sync, but the default you're using is right 99.99% of
the time.

Tom
.. .

Old July 5th 04, 11:04 AM
Tom Scales

Well, I just fired up my D100. The default seems to be 'standard' (just the
box with the little flash squiggly). Your best bet is to read that section
of your manual to learn the others, but leave it alone and you'll be OK.

Tom
wrote in message
Thanks. But so I'm sure about this, I'm not making any selections,
just popping the flash up and taking the picture. Is there a built-in
default that you're referring to? I can see the choices: front curtain
synch; red-eye reduction; red-eye reduction with slow synch; slow
synch and rear curtain synch. Those I seem to have to actually choose
using the flash synch mode button and command dial. But am I alright
99.99% of the time if I don't use that button and dial? Thanks again.

You do have choices in sync, but the default you're using is right 99.99%

of
the time.

Tom
.. .

Old July 5th 04, 01:40 PM

Okay, thanks. I guess I still have to adjust the white balance to the
little flash icon that's across the bottom along with flourescent,
incandescent, sunlight, shade etc? I shouldn't just be flipping the
flash up and shooting a picture? Also, while I want to one day get a
good flash, like a speedlight, I can't afford one right now. But I do
have a older Vivitar flash (Model 253 if that means anything, it's
really old). The flash mounts and fires on the camera. I wonder how
effective this would be while I wait to buy a new flash? Reading the
flash manual, I might have to go manual with the camera, as I have to
use the dial on the back of the flash. Any thoughts? Thanks again. By
the way, I read the D100 manual, but a lot of stuff goes over my head
since I'm only an amatuer, and some of the terminology I just don't
understand. That's why the questions here.

Well, I just fired up my D100. The default seems to be 'standard' (just the
box with the little flash squiggly). Your best bet is to read that section
of your manual to learn the others, but leave it alone and you'll be OK.

Tom
wrote in message
.. .
Thanks. But so I'm sure about this, I'm not making any selections,
just popping the flash up and taking the picture. Is there a built-in
default that you're referring to? I can see the choices: front curtain
synch; red-eye reduction; red-eye reduction with slow synch; slow
synch and rear curtain synch. Those I seem to have to actually choose
using the flash synch mode button and command dial. But am I alright
99.99% of the time if I don't use that button and dial? Thanks again.

You do have choices in sync, but the default you're using is right 99.99%

of
the time.

Tom
.. .