Photographing the sea

Old May 1st 05, 10:29 PM
RS

Default Photographing the sea

Any tips for photographing the sea?

RS

Old May 2nd 05, 03:43 AM
photo35744

Yes, keep dry.
"RS" wrote in message
Any tips for photographing the sea?

RS

Old May 2nd 05, 03:43 AM
photo35744

Yes, keep dry.
"RS" wrote in message
Any tips for photographing the sea?

RS

Old May 2nd 05, 06:00 AM
Gregory Blank

"RS" wrote:

Any tips for photographing the sea?

RS

Use a camera!!!!! :-D

Seriously it:

Depends on the desired effect,..... what do you want?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old May 2nd 05, 03:28 PM
RS

The photo I am looking for is a seascape such as on www.hillswick.com. (I am
not promoting this site as there is nothing on it, just a photo, takes a
moment to load)

How can I shoot this exact photo and what can make it better? What mistakes
have been made?

Thank you for your help
RS

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old May 2nd 05, 04:20 PM
Bill Hilton

The photo I am looking for is a seascape such as on www.hillswick.com.

How can I shoot this exact photo and what can make it better?

I would try to shoot it in better light ... from the shadow it looks
like this was shot around mid-day when the sun is high and the light
contrasty ... I'd personally try to shoot it before sunrise or after
sunset when the light is softer, also try to shoot with early (within
an hour or two after sunrise) or late light (last hours before sunset)
if there's any color in the sky reflecting down on the water, ideally
with ripples on the water. Typically you get this color after windy
days since the wind kicks up particles in the atmosphere which filters
out the blue rays, leaving the colors more red or pink, or shortly
after storms.

Also, maybe you cannot position yourself any other way but it bugs me
that the top of the rock is right on the horizon at the line where the
sea meets the sky ... if you can get lower (down by water's edge?) it
would be better, or if you can get higher (I doubt this is possible,
but ...) the top of the rock would be silhoutted against the water,
which I would prefer. Ideally you could do both.

Not meant to criticize, just my suggestions ... I don't like this harsh
light and lack of color myself

Bill

Old May 2nd 05, 05:11 PM
RSD99

All of what Bill Hilton posted, plus

(1) The example is 'back light,' look for a time of day, or time of year,
when you can get at least a little light on the front of the rock.

(2) Also try using a polarizing filter.

oups.com...

Old May 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
Bill Hilton

Typically you get this (red or pink) color ... shortly after storms.

To add on to my own post, here's an image I took in Mexico a few years
ago. A small hurricane was hitting the other side of the Sea of Cortez
near Mazatlan, we were near the tip of Baja fishing for marlin, with I
think about 150 miles of open water between us and the storm on the
mainland. I could see the lightning at night and figured the light
might be special the next AM so I got up very early (maybe an hour
before sunrise, in the dark) and walked down the beach about a mile to
line up this single boat. I was able to shoot nice pinkish pastels
early and then as the sun rose the sky went nuts, the reddest sky I've
seen down there on many fishing trips. Here's a shot which shows how
red it got ... then the sun came up and it was still very good for
about 30 minutes. I missed breakfast so I could catch the boat on time
(and my wife caught her first blue marlin that day, a 300 lb-er) but it
was worth it. This is what I mean about trying to catch a storm, all
the moisture in the air filtered out the blues ... this is what it
REALLY looked like, no saturation boost or anything ...
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/baja_storm.jpg

Bill