zoom lens Nikkor vs. Sigma vs. Tamron??

Old June 18th 04, 03:11 AM
Nick J

Default zoom lens Nikkor vs. Sigma vs. Tamron??

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
"W Chan" wrote in message...

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

snip
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee

snip
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho

STOP! STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

but Michael, what's better Ha, Hee or Ho ;-)

Nick
Old June 18th 04, 06:11 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Doug Payne writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

"Only with it"??? If you're referring to the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, it's
available all over the place, at least in the US and Canada. All by
itself, no camera attached. And yes, it's a good buy, whether or not
you buy a D70.

Oops; I appear to have been misinformed. Was it initially advertised
as only available bundled, or something?
Old June 18th 04, 02:33 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Nick J wrote in message ...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:
"W Chan" wrote in message...

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

snip
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee

snip
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho

STOP! STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

but Michael, what's better Ha, Hee or Ho ;-)

Nick

Moe, Larry, Shemp, or Curl(e)y?
Old June 19th 04, 08:37 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no,
"W Chan" wrote:

hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
yrs.
i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

Tamron lenses are good for making 4x6 prints but they're way too low-end
for anything better. Blurry regions will become painfully obvious in
larger prints.
Old June 20th 04, 02:11 PM
Wayne Moses

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
"W Chan" writes:

Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

He said he already had the D70 body.

I agree that the 18-70 lens is a great lens, and well matched to this body.
It would be the 'main lens' for this camera ... the one that stays on the
camera most fo the time.

This is a very interesting thread since I too would like to especially know
which of the aftermarket lenses come out on top. Nikkors are the best as far
as image quality go, but they are expensive. Having a lens that is much
cheaper and that gives almost as good results is, in my mind, sound
thinking, especially when there is so much that can be done with talented
post-processing.

The D70 also is capable of a lot of post-processing in the camera as well,
so all you really need is a lens that is fast enough and sharp enough to get
a great starting image. The rest can be done on the computer.

Wayne
Nikon D70
18-70 Nikkor
70-300 Nikkor

Old June 20th 04, 09:51 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"W Chan" writes:

Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

He said he already had the D70 body.

I agree that the 18-70 lens is a great lens, and well matched to this body.
It would be the 'main lens' for this camera ... the one that stays on the
camera most fo the time.

This is a very interesting thread since I too would like to especially know
which of the aftermarket lenses come out on top.

ZERO

Nikkors are the best as far
as image quality go, but they are expensive.

No, they're cheap, actually.

Having a lens that is much
cheaper and that gives almost as good results is, in my mind, sound
thinking, especially when there is so much that can be done with talented
post-processing.

It's poor thinking, actually.

The D70 also is capable of a lot of post-processing in the camera as well,
so all you really need is a lens that is fast enough and sharp enough to get
a great starting image. The rest can be done on the computer.

No, it can't. Your deluded.
Old June 21st 04, 12:54 PM
brian

"W Chan" writes:

[...]

Making the most of affordable equipment is not something you are well
known for. If you stop down any photographic lens sufficiently then
the only remaining aberrations will be distortion, lateral color, and
chromatic variation of distortion. These last two combined are
normally called color fringing. All three of these aberrations can be
reduced to vanishingly small levels by simple post processing
techniques using free softwa

http://www.caldwellphotographic.com/...rFringing.html

Brian
www.caldwellphotographic.com
Old June 21st 04, 09:27 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"W Chan" writes:

[...]

You CANNOT replace the qualities of an image there were never there to begin with.