Warning do not use Lee solar filters

Old August 18th 17, 02:32 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Warning do not use Lee solar filters

Amazon is giving refunds to all purchasers of Lee Solar filters. Under
this recall you do not have to return the filters. While there is some
confusion about this, I think it best not to use the Lee filter, unless
you want to risk damaging your eyes, and/or your sensor.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/amazon-refunding-lee-solar-eclipse-filter-buyers-warning-use/

--
PeterN
Old August 18th 17, 04:27 AM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Amazon is giving refunds to all purchasers of Lee Solar filters. Under
this recall you do not have to return the filters. While there is some
confusion about this, I think it best not to use the Lee filter, unless
you want to risk damaging your eyes, and/or your sensor.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/ama...ipse-filter-bu
yers-warning-use/

I had decided to let all the other enthusiasts and NASA deal with the eclipse
photography. We will get about 68% partial out here.

Something tells me that Amazon screwed the pooch on this deal.

That bulletin, and the way the warning is written seems to imply that Amazon
is getting its Lee filters from a supplier who is unable to confirm their
source as a “recommended manufacturer”. That seems strange to me since
Lee is among the most reputable of filter manufacturers, and the panic
hasn’t spread to B&H.

Does thios mean that Lee filters sold by Amazon might be counterfeit?
Amazon’s refunding program seems to hint that there is something very
wrong, and they are prepared to absorb any loss, and costs. If so, I see a
Lee Filters vs Amazon court date in the future. Either that or a settlement.
Lee being a British company, and Amazon, a US corporation, if it comes to
that, there is no telling where any such litigation might take place.

BTW: DO NOT TRY TO USE AN ND10, or even stacked optical filters!
That is not going to stop damaging UV, or IR.
If you insist on doing this hunt for the Sun, use a legitimate solar filter.
At this point I would defer any advice on this matter to our resident
stargazer, Davoud.

Savageduck

Old August 18th 17, 04:41 AM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 17, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Aug 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/ama...clipse-filter-
[...]

It seems that Lee had this to say:
"Amazon has incorrectly identified our filter as a viewing apparatus. The LEE
Filters Solar Eclipse filter is NOT intended for viewing the eclipse but
rather to photograph the phases of the eclipse, as clearly stated on our
website."
http://leefilters.tumblr.com/post/16...an-eclipse-is-
near-weve-got

Savageduck

Old August 18th 17, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:27:06 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Amazon is giving refunds to all purchasers of Lee Solar filters. Under
this recall you do not have to return the filters. While there is some
confusion about this, I think it best not to use the Lee filter, unless
you want to risk damaging your eyes, and/or your sensor.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/ama...ipse-filter-bu
yers-warning-use/

I had decided to let all the other enthusiasts and NASA deal with the eclipse
photography. We will get about 68% partial out here.

Same here. I figure there will be about 3 trillion photos taken that
day. I doubt I can do anything special. I did the last one here, and
it was oddly boring.
Old August 18th 17, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 17, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:27:06 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/ama...eclipse-filter
-bu
yers-warning-use/

I had decided to let all the other enthusiasts and NASA deal with the
eclipse
photography. We will get about 68% partial out here.

Same here. I figure there will be about 3 trillion photos taken that
day. I doubt I can do anything special. I did the last one here, and
it was oddly boring.

I believe that NatGeo/NASA is supposed to have an airborne project where they
will be making a transcontinental chase to have an extended totality period
of several hours rather than a few minutes. Out here the 68% partial will
start at 09:02:44, Max 68% at 10:17:02, and will be over at 11:39:36.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...solar-eclipse-
anywhere/

Savageduck

Old August 18th 17, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 17, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Aug 17, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:27:06 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

It looks like the Science Channel is going to have some interesting
programing on Monday:
https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/great-american-eclipse/
https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-sh...videos/flying-
jets-into-the-shadow-of-an-eclipse
http://tinyurl.com/ydy7wryu

Savageduck

Old August 18th 17, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 18/08/2017 04:42, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:27:06 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Amazon is giving refunds to all purchasers of Lee Solar filters. Under
this recall you do not have to return the filters. While there is some
confusion about this, I think it best not to use the Lee filter, unless
you want to risk damaging your eyes, and/or your sensor.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/ama...ipse-filter-bu
yers-warning-use/

I had decided to let all the other enthusiasts and NASA deal with the eclipse
photography. We will get about 68% partial out here.

Same here. I figure there will be about 3 trillion photos taken that
day. I doubt I can do anything special. I did the last one here, and
it was oddly boring.

I find them to be incredible experiences. Feels like the air has been
sucked away and the strangest silence and light. Last thing I'd want to
be doing is faffing about with a camera!

--
Cheers, Rob
Old August 18th 17, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

RJH:
I find [solar eclipses] to be incredible experiences. Feels like the air has been
sucked away and the strangest silence and light. Last thing I'd want to
be doing is faffing about with a camera!

There are two equally valid points of view on the matter. I'm an
astrophotographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7345511818.
Our viewing team my wife and a Royal Air Force Officer who arrived on
Thursday from the Persian Gulf for the event will drive from
Annapolis, MD, to Hendersonville, TN, tomorrow.

We'll be carrying two robotic telescope mounts, four Canon cameras, and
two MacBook Pros, among other kit. We all have quite a few years of
experience in solar photography. With the advent of computer control of
DSLRs and telescope mounts, eclipse photography is easier than it was
in the film days. We'll be watching the eclipse while the Macs do the
grunt work. We've been practicing for months, and have well tuned
scripts for the cameras to follow. Setup will require about 1/2 hour,
beginning one hour before the eclipse. It should be easy as pie after
that. My only concern is getting the right exposure for the corona
during the 2 m 32 s of totality, where I have no direct experience, but
I expect to find the magic settings within the first couple of seconds.

If the weather cooperates. We don't have to have "perfect" weather; see
above link.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 18th 17, 01:57 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/17/2017 11:27 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I will not be dong any shooting of the Sun. If the weather cooperates, I
will try to gind a place and shoot people experiencing the event.

--
PeterN
Old August 18th 17, 03:34 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Savageduck:
At this point I would defer any advice on this matter to our resident
stargazer, Davoud.

OMG, the pressure is on! I have bought many pairs of safe solar glasses
from https://www.rainbowsymphony.com. It might be a bit late to get
them, however. I haven't shopped locally, but it must be possible to
buy them from Target or CVS or the like. Try to look for made in USA. I
bought 200 pair about six months ago; donated 100 pair to the local
community college for their public event, distributed another 50 pair
to various people, and I'm taking 50 pair with me to our observing site
in Tennessee for those who might arrive unprepared.