Flipping out at the 2013 Monterey Motorsports Reunion

Old August 22nd 13, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

Default Flipping out at the 2013 Monterey Motorsports Reunion

I had the good fortune of not only being up at the corkscrew for the
F-1 race, but also to be shooting cars coming into the corkscrew when
this incident happened on the next to last lap of the next to last
race on Sunday. Thankfully, the driver escaped unhurt, although two
other drivers had to help pick the side of the car up a bit so they
could extract themselves from the cockpit.

http://edwardgruf.com/Flipping_out_at_2013_MMR/

Did you make the event Savageduck?
Old August 22nd 13, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-21 18:17:30 -0700, me said:

I had the good fortune of not only being up at the corkscrew for the
F-1 race, but also to be shooting cars coming into the corkscrew when
this incident happened on the next to last lap of the next to last
race on Sunday. Thankfully, the driver escaped unhurt, although two
other drivers had to help pick the side of the car up a bit so they
could extract themselves from the cockpit.

http://edwardgruf.com/Flipping_out_at_2013_MMR/

Damn! How did he manage to do that? That first blind dip into the
corkscrew can surprise them, but to flip an F-1 like that... At least
the Williams following him didn't get involved.

Did you make the event Savageduck?

Unfortunately not this year I had some other stuff happening. When I do
get up there, I usually spend the early morning in the paddock for a
few hours, and a bit of time way up on the bleachers at turn #4. Then I
make the climb up the hill to the corkscrew for the rest of the day.
Where were you traveling from to get to our neighborhood?

Here are some of mine at the corkscrew;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DNC4944Aw.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DNC4947Aw.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DNC4996Aw.jpg

....and one just below the foot bridge.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DNC5067Aw.jpg

Savageduck

Old August 22nd 13, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:47:15 -0700, wtrplnet wrote:

On 8/21/2013 6:17 PM, me wrote:
I had the good fortune of not only being up at the corkscrew for the
F-1 race, but also to be shooting cars coming into the corkscrew when
this incident happened on the next to last lap of the next to last
race on Sunday. Thankfully, the driver escaped unhurt, although two
other drivers had to help pick the side of the car up a bit so they
could extract themselves from the cockpit.

http://edwardgruf.com/Flipping_out_at_2013_MMR/

Did you make the event Savageduck?

Nice sequence. I was there Sunday but left before the F1 event. I
listened in on a driver's meeting earlier in the week where the steward
made clear that this is a "gentleman's event" and that aggressive
driving would be frowned upon. Looks like someone didn't get the word.
Of course, with old cars like this mechanical problems are always
likely, such as a stuck throttle, which may be what happened here.

I believe back when I last attended in '05 (or maybe an earlier event)
there was enough of a collision in the Can-Am race for the instigator
to draw a penalty. IIRC, it happened diving into turn 5 before going
up the hill. The recipient had fairly good damage to the left front if
memory serves.

In this case the word was one ran over the others wheel. Not a good
scenario entering the corkscrew as the photos detail. I didn't hear
who might have been at fault.
Old August 22nd 13, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:57:14 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-08-21 18:17:30 -0700, me said:

I had the good fortune of not only being up at the corkscrew for the
F-1 race, but also to be shooting cars coming into the corkscrew when
this incident happened on the next to last lap of the next to last
race on Sunday. Thankfully, the driver escaped unhurt, although two
other drivers had to help pick the side of the car up a bit so they
could extract themselves from the cockpit.

http://edwardgruf.com/Flipping_out_at_2013_MMR/

Damn! How did he manage to do that? That first blind dip into the
corkscrew can surprise them, but to flip an F-1 like that... At least
the Williams following him didn't get involved.

One supposedly ran over the others wheel according to the announcer.
Never heard who the one at fault was.

Did you make the event Savageduck?

Unfortunately not this year I had some other stuff happening. When I do
get up there, I usually spend the early morning in the paddock for a
few hours, and a bit of time way up on the bleachers at turn #4. Then I
make the climb up the hill to the corkscrew for the rest of the day.
Where were you traveling from to get to our neighborhood?

Close to my modus operandi. I traveled from the east coast, near
Yorktown, VA to be precise.I met some friends in LA from my SoCal
aerospace employment days in the mid/late '80s. We drove up the coast
reaching the track mid afternoon on Fri. Here are some pics I posted
during the trip:

http://edwardgruf.com/2013-08-16_snaps

I'm sure you recognize McWay Falls.

http://edwardgruf.com/2013-08-17_Mon...Reunion_snaps/

Here are some of mine at the corkscrew;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DNC4944Aw.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DNC4947Aw.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DNC4996Aw.jpg

...and one just below the foot bridge.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DNC5067Aw.jpg

Nice!
Old August 22nd 13, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-21 18:17:30 -0700, me said:

[...]

Close to my modus operandi.

Yup! I see you were at turn #4.

I traveled from the east coast, near
Yorktown, VA to be precise.I met some friends in LA from my SoCal
aerospace employment days in the mid/late '80s. We drove up the coast
reaching the track mid afternoon on Fri. Here are some pics I posted
during the trip:

http://edwardgruf.com/2013-08-16_snaps

I'm sure you recognize McWay Falls.

Hwy 1, Cambria through Big Sur, to Monterey. You will find me on that
road quite often. I live at Lake Nacimiento between Cambria & Paso
Robles.
It looks like you had a pit stop at Ragged Point then on up past Big
Creek Bridge to the falls at Julia Pfeiffer SP. Great drive. I am glad
the marine layer fog lifted for your drive, it has been socking ing the
coast from Pismo up to Monterey in the mornings for the last few weeks.

http://edwardgruf.com/2013-08-17_Mon...Reunion_snaps/

Nice stuff. I would have loved to have seen the 330 LM in #6 (that is a
rare beast) and the Alfa in #14.