Wide Angle Lens - Minolta X-700

Old September 6th 04, 07:46 PM
Jeffrey Zajac

Default Wide Angle Lens - Minolta X-700

I am a beginner with a Minolta X-700, and am considering the purchase
of a 24mm wide angle lens. Can anyone give me advice as to which lens
in this category would be a wise purchase? Thank you.
Old September 6th 04, 09:04 PM
Alan Browne

Jeffrey Zajac wrote:

I am a beginner with a Minolta X-700, and am considering the purchase
of a 24mm wide angle lens. Can anyone give me advice as to which lens
in this category would be a wise purchase? Thank you.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/boritz/photo/mdlenses.html is a list
of lenses. There are two 24mm versions.

Others will tell you more ... google too.

Old September 7th 04, 08:55 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"Jeffrey Zajac" wrote in message
om...
I am a beginner with a Minolta X-700, and am considering the purchase
of a 24mm wide angle lens. Can anyone give me advice as to which lens
in this category would be a wise purchase? Thank you.

I've owned and used both of Minolta's 24mm lenses. The simpler 24 f2.8 was
either badly put together or out of calibration, aperture wise. It took 2
visits to the Minolta service centre before my complaints about
over-exposure were taken seriously, and the lens then performed in line with
my other MC & MD lenses. I bought the more expensive VCF (Variable Field
Curvature) version out of curiosity and used it once or twice in this
(unique?) mode. Exposure (aperture) wise it was spot on against my other
lenses, and seemed very well built. I sold it when I went to an EOS AF
system.
If you do buy a 24mm or even a 28mm, do check out whether its infinity
register is correct. There's not much depth of focus* with a 24mm, and you
do need to have confidence that when set against the infinity stop that it
really is focusing optimally on objects at infinity.
* and in my experience this is why 35mm users tend not to get the results
they hope for...
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK