Old January 23rd 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Default |GG| Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digitalcamera?

Twibil wrote:
I'm about to retire my old Nikon film cameras and go digital for all
the obvious reasons, but I can't seem to get a straight answer to the
question of whether or not I can use my collection of old Nikon SLR
lenses on one of the new digitals.

There isn't a simple answer, list your lenses and we can categorize them
in a meaningful way.

If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess. That's doable with trial
& error looking at the LCD on back but pretty crummy. Generally that
means you'll want a D200 or above to meter with old manual focus lenses.
If you have AF lenses, those will meter on any new camera but not AF on
less than a D80, D70, D50.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old January 23rd 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

"Twibil" wrote in message ...
On Jan 22, 8:49 pm, Paul Furman wrote:

If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess.

Well, no, that's why they invented primitive stone hand-held light
meters many eons ago. };-P

My old Gossen Luna Pro still works just fine, and will even do a
couple of things that in-camera light meters won't.

--My 1939 Weston also works well in this digital age, and it
--is easy with it to introduce exposure compensations while
--taking the readings, an often useful advantage with snow,
--backlight, etc.
--DR

Old January 23rd 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Paul Furman wrote:
If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess. That's doable with trial
& error looking at the LCD on back but pretty crummy.

Or check the exposure histogram. You need to learn how to read them and
they don't help with snap shots, but it won't get more precise than
that.

BTW: what on earth is that |GG| in the subject line for?

jue
Old January 24th 09, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Jürgen Exner wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess. That's doable with trial
& error looking at the LCD on back but pretty crummy.

Or check the exposure histogram. You need to learn how to read them and
they don't help with snap shots, but it won't get more precise than
that.

After a while of using an in-camera meter, it gets tedious to go back.
But I never used an 'external' light meter so what do I know g.

BTW: what on earth is that |GG| in the subject line for?

Sorry, that's my google groups filter. It marks messages as read in
thunderbird but I can see them in the thread if someone replies. A lot
of discount tennis shoe spam goes away with that. I try to remember to
delete in the title.

Old January 24th 09, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Paul Furman wrote:

Jürgen Exner wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look
at the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess. That's doable with
trial & error looking at the LCD on back but pretty crummy.

Or check the exposure histogram. You need to learn how to read them and
they don't help with snap shots, but it won't get more precise than
that.

After a while of using an in-camera meter, it gets tedious to go back. But
I never used an 'external' light meter so what do I know g.

BTW: what on earth is that |GG| in the subject line for?

Sorry, that's my google groups filter. It marks messages as read in
thunderbird but I can see them in the thread if someone replies. A lot of
discount tennis shoe spam goes away with that. I try to remember to delete
in the title.

Filter on string googlegroups in the Message-ID header, and that kind of
make-work isn't nececssary.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Old January 24th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:07:04 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

BTW: what on earth is that |GG| in the subject line for?

Sorry, that's my google groups filter. It marks messages as read in
thunderbird but I can see them in the thread if someone replies. A lot
of discount tennis shoe spam goes away with that. I try to remember to
delete in the title.

It does more than just mark messages. It splits threads, making
it more difficult to review previous replies in what should have
been the same thread. Are you saying that you occasionally forget
to remove the "|GG|" before posting your replies?