Finally Bought My Digital SLR

Old December 25th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steven Green[_2_]

Default Finally Bought My Digital SLR

Well I would like to thank those that commented on my camera purchase
intentions. To D300 or not to D300. In the end, although I really wanted
a D300, I decided not to get one.

I decided to go the good lens route and worry about the camera later. I
purchased a D40 kit from Adorama and a nice 70-200 mm lens instead. I
figure the D40 is almost a throw away. Later this year I hope to get
another lens and maybe next year get another nice lens.

The reasons I wanted a D300 or better in the end didn't make much sense.
I wanted to be able to handle a variety of scenarios that the D300
was good for, but I was not going to be able to afford what I wanted it
for if I got it. So in the end I will build my collection of lenses and
see what Nikon delivers camera-wise down the road.

Thanks for your input and happy holidays.

Steve G.
Old December 26th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA[_3_]

"Steven Green" wrote in message
Well I would like to thank those that commented on my camera purchase
intentions. To D300 or not to D300. In the end, although I really wanted a
D300, I decided not to get one.

I decided to go the good lens route and worry about the camera later. I
purchased a D40 kit from Adorama and a nice 70-200 mm lens instead. I
figure the D40 is almost a throw away. Later this year I hope to get
another lens and maybe next year get another nice lens.

The reasons I wanted a D300 or better in the end didn't make much sense. I
wanted to be able to handle a variety of scenarios that the D300 was good
for, but I was not going to be able to afford what I wanted it for if I
got it. So in the end I will build my collection of lenses and see what
Nikon delivers camera-wise down the road.

Thanks for your input and happy holidays.

Steve G.

As long as the lens gets you what you want, you made the right choice. The
disposibility factor of a camera is up in the air. It likely won't be worth
fixing if something major happens after warranty, but there are DLSRs still
working today that came to market 8 years ago or more.

Old December 26th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Steven Green wrote:
Well I would like to thank those that commented on my camera purchase
intentions. To D300 or not to D300. In the end, although I really wanted
a D300, I decided not to get one.

I decided to go the good lens route and worry about the camera later. I
purchased a D40 kit from Adorama and a nice 70-200 mm lens instead. I
figure the D40 is almost a throw away. Later this year I hope to get
another lens and maybe next year get another nice lens.

The reasons I wanted a D300 or better in the end didn't make much sense.
I wanted to be able to handle a variety of scenarios that the D300 was
good for, but I was not going to be able to afford what I wanted it for
if I got it. So in the end I will build my collection of lenses and see
what Nikon delivers camera-wise down the road.

Thanks for your input and happy holidays.

Congrats & enjoy, that's a nice kit!

In a few years you can get the new D700z with 48mp for $300 :-)
-with 3D holographic re-positioning off the raw files g

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old December 26th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Paul Furman wrote:

In a few years you can get the new D700z with 48mp for $300 :-) -with 3D
holographic re-positioning off the raw files g

Hey, I have that now with my D90. Granted, I have fewer pixels.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old December 26th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

In a few years you can get the new D700z with 48mp for $300 :-) -with 3D
holographic re-positioning off the raw files g

Hey, I have that now with my D90. Granted, I have fewer pixels.

I wouldn't complain, that's about 278MP/sec g.

1280x576 = .92MPx30fps = 278,000,000MP/sec

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old December 26th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA[_4_]

Paul Furman wrote in
:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

In a few years you can get the new D700z with 48mp for $300 :-)
-with 3D holographic re-positioning off the raw files g

Hey, I have that now with my D90. Granted, I have fewer pixels.

I wouldn't complain, that's about 278MP/sec g.

1280x576 = .92MPx30fps = 278,000,000MP/sec

The only people rejoicing will be the soccer moms with money and the memory
card makers.
Old December 26th 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Paul Furman wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

In a few years you can get the new D700z with 48mp for $300 :-) -with
3D holographic re-positioning off the raw files g

Hey, I have that now with my D90. Granted, I have fewer pixels.

I wouldn't complain, that's about 278MP/sec g.

1280x576 = .92MPx30fps = 278,000,000MP/sec

No problem; I'm running Linux.