I brought some 35mm film into a local camera store and ...

Old August 3rd 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

Default I brought some 35mm film into a local camera store and ...

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:34:52 -0500, dickr2
wrote:

Another "to do" item on my list of things to do one of these days.
:-)
Dick

I have one of those, but it keeps getting bigger.
Old August 3rd 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:21:43 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 8/2/2010 11:34 AM dickr2 spake thus:

rwalker wrote:

snip

I fairly regularly slit 35 mm film down to 110 to reload cassettes to
use in my Pentax Auto110.

Are you foolin' us?

No; it isn't easy, but film can be slit at home. People do it. (I'm
curious how the person does it, specifically.)

I bought a nifty little Plexiglas slitter on e-bay, I think. It's got
a slot on top the width of 35 mm. film, and two razor blades that
protrude slightly about 16 mm. apart. It then has a Plexiglas lid.
You pull out a little 35 mm from the canister, press it down and then
put the lid on and pull the film through it. Luckily, I have access
to a darkroom at work, or otherwise I'd be doing this in my basement
with the basketball-sized spiders. You just pull the film through
the slitter, and snip off the end at the 35 mm canister. The hardest
part was prying open some 110 cassettes to be reloaded without
breaking them, and to be able to put them back together without light
leaks. Then it's fairly simple to make sure you have the emulsion side
facing toward the cassette opening, and wrapping the film tightly in
the feeder chamber and taping the other end to the takeup spool. Some
people reuse old backing papers, but I just close off the little hole
in the cassette where you could read the exposure number. You get
about 24 useable frames from a typical 24 exposure roll of 35 mm.
film. I love that little Pentax 110 SLR and couldn't stand the idea
of retiring it just because they've now stopped manufacturing 110
film.
Old August 3rd 10, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"rwalker" wrote in message
snip
[...]

Doesn't the camera require a 'framing hole'- a little hole every frame that
the camera senses and stops the film advancing?
Actually, years and years ago, I took a little Kodak Tele-Instamatic to a
night high school football game. I submitted my photos to the local
newspaper as usual, and they couldn't tell them from my usual work. Of
course, I limited the shots to mostly sideline action, but still...
The camera is a machine, and if you understand how the machine works and
it's capabilities, you get the shot.

Old August 3rd 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

wrote:

Another "to do" item on my list of things to do one of these days.
:-)
Dick

I have one of those, but it keeps getting bigger.

God have the grace to permit me to finish my "to do" project list
before I die.

w..

Old August 3rd 10, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:43:12 -0400, "K W Hart"
wrote:

Doesn't the camera require a 'framing hole'- a little hole every frame that
the camera senses and stops the film advancing?
Actually, years and years ago, I took a little Kodak Tele-Instamatic to a
night high school football game. I submitted my photos to the local
newspaper as usual, and they couldn't tell them from my usual work. Of
course, I limited the shots to mostly sideline action, but still...
The camera is a machine, and if you understand how the machine works and
it's capabilities, you get the shot.

The Pentax Auto110 doesn't require the sprocket holes. Most 110s do,
but the Pentax and Minolta 110 SLRs don't need them.

I enjoy trying to get a nice image from that fingernail sized
negative. Like you say, the camera is just a machine.
Old August 8th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 18:37:25 -0400, "K W Hart" wrote:
:
: "David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
: .com...
: On 8/2/2010 11:34 AM dickr2 spake thus:
:
: rwalker wrote:
:
: snip
:
: I fairly regularly slit 35 mm film down to 110 to reload cassettes to
: use in my Pentax Auto110.
:
: Are you foolin' us?
:
: No; it isn't easy, but film can be slit at home. People do it. (I'm
: curious how the person does it, specifically.)
:
: On a serious note, I still have 8 mm movies taken in the 1940s along
: with a Revere projector that still works and a Cinemaster 8 mm camera.
: As I recall, the camera was loaded with 16 mm film with sprocket holes
: on both edges. When the film was processed, it was split into two
: 8 mm strips with sprocket holes on one edge.
:
: That makes no sense.
:
: How would that even work? Either you'd have to expose the full 16mm frame,
: therefore getting two half-frame films as a result, which makes no sense,
: or you'd have to have some ultra-complicated scheme which would expose
: first one side of the film, then run it backwards (and move the lens) to
: expose the other side.
:
: I think your memory is playing tricks on you here.
:
:
: No, it works very well. Or at least many years ago it did. You ran the 25'
: 16mm wide film through once, shooting along on edge of the film. Then you
: flipped over the spool and ran the film through again, shooting along the
: other edge of the film. After processing, the film was slit lengthwise and
: spliced end to end, into a 50' length, running about four minutes.
:
: As for the lengthwise slitters, I've seen such devices on eBay. Basically a
: plastic block with razor blade(s) embedded.

Which, presumably, you have to use in the dark. :^|

Bob
Old August 8th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:53:56 -0400, Walter Banks wrote:
:
:
: rwalker wrote:
:
: On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:34:52 -0500, dickr2
: wrote:
:
: Another "to do" item on my list of things to do one of these days.
: :-)
: Dick
:
: I have one of those, but it keeps getting bigger.
:
: God have the grace to permit me to finish my "to do" project list
: before I die.

Actually finishing the projects or just finishing the list? The most I could
possibly aspire to is the latter.

Bob
Old August 9th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

wrote:

Another "to do" item on my list of things to do one of these
days. :-)
Dick

I have one of those, but it keeps getting bigger.

God have the grace to permit me to finish my "to do" project list
before I die.

Actually finishing the projects or just finishing the list? The
most I could possibly aspire to is the latter.

Bob

"I'm going to be dead before I read the
books I'm going to read"
-Tom Stoppard