A little nostalgia this morning

Old July 3rd 10, 10:08 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Allen[_3_]

Default A little nostalgia this morning

Savageduck wrote:
snip
Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor wanted
the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect example
of ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not impressed
with, and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.
Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and America.
...but that is not you is it?

snip
Sounds like my son. He went to Disneyland when he was seven years old.
Looked around at a lot of things. When he left he said to his mother
"Everything in there is plastic". That's the only thing he said about
it. A few days later we went to Yosemite and then the Grand Canyon, both
of which he talked about at length (very favorably). I share your
sentiments.
Allen
Old July 3rd 10, 10:12 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
J. Clarke

On 2010-07-03 11:15:21 -0700, tony cooper
said:

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 10:33:40 -0700, "John Sisker"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:06:41 -0700, Savageduck

On 2010-07-02 19:47:41 -0700, tony cooper

said:

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 19:38:20 -0700, "John Sisker"

wrote:

"Savageduck" wrote in message
For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this
morning.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg

Savageduck

Interesting picture of the car itself, but the photo looks like
nothing
more
than my typical travel snapshots. A slightly different angle
would have
been
much better, plus some serious cropping for a better
composition, and
if you
actually intended that reflection, that could have been done much
better as
well. In this particular case, I would assume that you did have
amply
time
in taking the picture, even with the possibility of using
different
lenses
and/or special effects.

Interesting critique, John. Feel free to offer a critique on my
recent photograph of an automobile. Note that there are no
distracting reflections.

No special effects were used. While I could have used my Bondo
or my
Turtle Wax filter, I didn't.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...5_6YMQ7-XL.jpg

I'm

thankful

you

took care of those annoying reflections there Tony. A fine
capture of American iron.
Thinking of a full restoration are you?

Naw, the car I saw that day that I would like to restore was this
one:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...4_RcCHu-XL.jpg

Being

Hoosier by birth, I've always had a soft spot for Studebakers.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Since we're off the subject of photography itself and on to cars
instead,
for what it is worth, here is a photo of my favorate car.

http://www.tinplatedesign.com/Cars.jpg

Yes, it figures you would like one with advertising on it.

Well it is just a short drive from Huntington Beach to Anaheim, and
all that Disney fun, and fine examples of classic vehicles John loves

BTW, I was almost tempted to rework my original image in this post to
crop, remove reflection, and blur the background, and then I
remembered who prompted that thought bubble.
--
Regards, Savageduck

There's classic vehicles at Disneyland - where?

Now that was sarcasm, but I quess you missed it.

It must have been a long time since you have been there, if you were
ever there at all.

Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor wanted
the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect example
of ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not impressed
with, and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.

The last time I was at Disneyland, there were many vehicles in the
parking lot that are now considered classics. Back then though they
were just "late model sedans".

Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and America.
...but that is not you is it?

Actually, a trip to Disney would not hurt you, it is indeed fun, and
fun is definitely something you seem to need. It appears that you are
taking everything way too serious.

John Sisker - Huntington Beach, California

I gave up on serious 2 1/2 years ago. I have had my fill of serious
...and I don't have to regress to some sort of 8 year old, or support an
organization like Disney to have fun.

Old July 3rd 10, 10:38 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Too bad.

Disney is fun, not because of Disney, but because of what people who
go there take in with them and rediscover while there. It's a good
environment for not only enriching the "D" empire, but the lives of
thousands who might never find the joy and sweet sentiments within.

It's OK to be soft at times, to be other than savage. I was at
Disneyland the day it opened, but the last of a dozen or visits was
thirty years ago when we took our crew of fifteen delinquent kids who
had never been north of Mission Valley. They were 100% non-delinquent
within the park, and for a few weeks thereafter.

They worked hard to get "matching funds" from the County so they could
go. They earned admission and a decent pocketful of walking-around
money by washing cars and yardwork. They had fun at the park. They
treated each other and everyone else with respect while there and for
a few weeks more. Definitely an enhancement to their lives, and ours,
and the people around them.

I do have some knowledge of the meanness underlying much of the Disney
empire, but as in every feature of the world, there is a balance
between cost and income, and for my part, the cost is much less than
the payoff.

And I'd guess your definition of "fun" is a bit different from many,
or you wouln't feel driven to respond so aggressively to every post in
your fiefdom.

Too bad.

Very respectfully,

--
Frank ess

Old July 3rd 10, 11:31 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-07-03 14:38:46 -0700, "Frank ess" said:

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

That is laudable of you, and I am sure a great escape for the kids who
benefited

I do have some knowledge of the meanness underlying much of the Disney
empire, but as in every feature of the world, there is a balance
between cost and income, and for my part, the cost is much less than
the payoff.

Agreed, however once I out grew my comic book youth in the early 60's
the Disney artificiality was no escape from my reality. If it thrill
rides for the kids there are other options. If it is a different
educational experience there are other options, if it is exposure to
the overwhelming grandeur of the country there are options. A trip to
Yosemite, or Sequoia would have opened the eyes of those kids to a
different World to what they faced in the City or in the "Valley."
After Dineyland all there is, is a return to what they escaped with
nothing but fantasy to inspire them. There are other options.

And I'd guess your definition of "fun" is a bit different from many, or
you wouln't feel driven to respond so aggressively to every post in
your fiefdom.

Too bad.

Very respectfully,

My fiefdom? This is an open forum and I responded to John and his
shallow promotional mindset.
I am not going through some mid-life crisis searching for some lost
childhood fantasy, I am quite content with reality. I enjoy traveling
both in the US and overseas, and somehow I manage to have reality based
fun.
Care to do a little fishing sometime. Some think that can be fun. It is
one of the things I do which bring a smile to my face from time to
time. There are others, but a sweaty, 3-fingered Mickey isn't going to
do it for me.

Savageduck

Old July 4th 10, 01:37 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:59:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor
wanted the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect
example of ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not
impressed with, and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.
Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and
America.
...but that is not you is it?

I have only been to Disney World (Orlando's park) with small children
in tow. I didn't pay any attention to the plasticity or the
artificialness of the place because I was watching the absolute, pure
joy of the kids. What you call "corporate greed" is what I call an
exchange of value for money. Every time I've been to Disney with the
kids the value of the good time they had was more than the money I
exchanged for the day.

In most of the national parks you mention, corporate greed displaced
the native peoples who originally inhabited that area. We have
Yosemite because greedy gold miners discovered the area, the railroad
barons opened up travel to that area, and California troops (the
Mariposa Battalion) cleaned out the Miwoks, the Chowchillas, and the
Ahwahneechee Indians.

It was a Savage - James Savage - who led the Mariposa Battalion. He
was a gold miner who wanted the Indians out because they bothered his
greedy plans to take gold from the Merced River.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 4th 10, 02:30 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter[_7_]

"Allen" wrote in message
Savageduck wrote:
[...]

As do my wife and I. the last time we went, my wife commented that she would
have liked to hear just one person say "F--- you." I will not discuss going
on Space Mountain stoned.

OTOH I really enjoyed EPCOT, I went with some business associates who got us
some kind of VIP pass. We never waited in line for anything..

--
Peter

Old July 4th 10, 02:40 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

We have treated the native American people in a disgustingly shameful
manner. Technically there is a lot of land that has been stolen from them,
in addition to those lands we forced them to cede at the point of a gun. Now
many tribes are using land claims as a lever to extract gaming rights. How
sad to see the rich culture of these people so reduced.

--
Peter

Old July 4th 10, 03:19 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Peter wrote:
"Allen" wrote in message
Savageduck wrote:
[...]

My wife never liked to hear that. What a wonderful wife you have!

OTOH I really enjoyed EPCOT, I went with some business associates who
got us some kind of VIP pass. We never waited in line for anything..

Same here, though didn't wait 'cause it was brand new. First Imax I saw,
and it was hot air balloons rising over a few different chateaux, with
St. Saens' organ concerto blasting from all sides. Son et lumiere in
FLA!. What a treat.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 4th 10, 03:21 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. "Progress". I don't know of a single piece of land discovered by
any nation and then occupied by them where it was much different. There
must be some, somewhere, and I'd like to hear about them.

--
John McWilliams

Old July 4th 10, 03:34 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter[_7_]

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Peter wrote:
"Allen" wrote in message
Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Thank you.
Like me she grew up as a street from NYC and both of us call thigs pretty
much as we see them. She always had a sense of humor. (she once shot a cop
with a water pistol.) though the dumbest thing she ever did as stick with me
all these years. When we met she was just 15. this year will be our 50th
anniversy. We plan to go the the Panama Canal to celebrate.

--
Peter