Just bought a Nikon D40! Now what?

Old December 19th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr Microphone

Default Just bought a Nikon D40! Now what?

Ken Rockwell convinced me to buy the D40. After a week of playing with it I
can see why. It does everything I want plus wash my socks, feed the dog and
tell the wife I need more camera gear.

Old December 19th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Humm

I bought a D40 this time last year. I also bought the 55-200mm VR lens and
SB400 flash.
I have had a bunch of P&S cameras over the years and decided to move the
DSLR.
Its a great camera and good value for money. The only problem I find is that
if you take a lot of pictures you will find that you will grow out of it. I
am looking to move up to the D90 I need more of the features that the D90
offers.
The price I paid for the D40 was so reasonable that I will keep it for a
chuck around camera.

Old December 19th 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr Microphone

"Humm" wrote in message

I bought a D40 this time last year. I also bought the 55-200mm VR lens and
SB400 flash.
I have had a bunch of P&S cameras over the years and decided to move the
DSLR.
Its a great camera and good value for money. The only problem I find is
that
if you take a lot of pictures you will find that you will grow out of it.
am looking to move up to the D90 I need more of the features that the D90
offers.
The price I paid for the D40 was so reasonable that I will keep it for a
chuck around camera.

I paid $650 for my D50 in 2006 and $409 for the D40 from Amazon.com and I'm
really liking it a lot. I told my wife I found it in the back seat of a
Greyhound bus that was about to be crushed in a wrecking yard. It's a
completely different animal compared to the D50. And yeah, I really wanted a
D90 but with the money I saved I bought some new shoes a nifty fedora for
noggin.

http://artofmanliness.com/wp-content.../03/fedora.jpg

Old December 19th 08, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Mr Microphone wrote:

Ken Rockwell convinced me to buy the D40. After a week of playing with it
I can see why. It does everything I want plus wash my socks, feed the dog
and tell the wife I need more camera gear.

You're kidding me! My backup is a D60, and if it will do my socks I've
never seen that feature; they *dropped* it between the D40 and the D60?
What menu is it in?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old December 19th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SteveG

Mr Microphone wrote:
Ken Rockwell convinced me to buy the D40. After a week of playing with
it I can see why. It does everything I want plus wash my socks, feed the
dog and tell the wife I need more camera gear.

Yeah, mine tells the wife I need more gear all the time but she's
developed a deaf ear to it ... says she can't hear it over the din the
Land Rover is making about new tyres, respray, replacement engine :-)

Regards

Steve G
Old December 19th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Father Guido Sarducci wrote:

In message , "Humm"
said:

I will keep it for a
chuck around camera.

A Nerf football is cheaper. And more aerodynamic.

But provides much less incentive to make those tough catches.

Old December 20th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr Microphone

"Mike" wrote in message

I paid $650 for my D50 in 2006 and $409 for the D40 from Amazon.com and
I'm
really liking it a lot. I told my wife I found it in the back seat of a
Greyhound bus that was about to be crushed in a wrecking yard. It's a
completely different animal compared to the D50. And yeah, I really wanted
D90 but with the money I saved I bought some new shoes a nifty fedora for
noggin.

http://artofmanliness.com/wp-content.../03/fedora.jpg

How does the D40 compare with the D50?
I've still got my D50 with 18-55 & 55-200 and can see no reason to
change just yet.....

Change? I still have my D50, got my telephoto hanging off it for quick
shots of the 600 foot triangle shaped UFO with all the blinking and buzzing
lights. Sometimes it doesn't work but neither does the toaster, electric
toothbrush or talking Barbie for that matter.

Old December 20th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Peirce

In article , "Humm"
wrote:

Its a great camera and good value for money. The only problem I find is that
if you take a lot of pictures you will find that you will grow out of it. I
am looking to move up to the D90 I need more of the features that the D90
offers.

Like what?

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

Old December 20th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Humm

What's a like what??

"Robert Peirce" wrote in message
]...

Old December 21st 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Peirce

wrote:

Its a great camera and good value for money. The only problem I find is
that
if you take a lot of pictures you will find that you will grow out of it.
am looking to move up to the D90 I need more of the features that the D90
offers.

Like what?

Like what features does the D90 have that are not on the D40 that people
taking a lot of pictures must have? I don't have a D90. I'd like to
know.