Do you still sharpen?

Old May 28th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

Default Do you still sharpen?

In article ,
"Bruce." wrote:

I know sharpening had a big place in photography due to low resolution
digital cameras. The pictures were just too soft without a touch of
sharpening. Even so the recommendation was to sharpen only just prior to
printing.

Well, a couple of things have happened. We're doing less and less printing
due to costs, and the convenience of just viewing the files on our computer
monitor. Emailing, posting on Flickr, etc. At least with me, actually
printing is getting rarer and rarer. And anything over 1024x768 (my monitor
setting) has to be resized downward to be viewed.

The other thing that happened is the MPixel race is now up to huge numbers,
8MP, 10MP, etc. The detail level is now so much higher than it used to be,
so less sharpening would seem to be needed.

With my 8MP camera, even slight sharpening makes it look over-sharpened on
my monitor. About all even slight sharpening does is amplify sensor noise.

So is it time to retire sharpening?

My knives still need it from time to time though...
Old May 28th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article ,
"Bruce." wrote:

[...]

Sorry about my previous flippant comment...

I often use an R72 infrared filter for those photo excursions on still
and bright sunny days when 'normal' photography has problems with harsh
shadows. Infrared often produces slightly 'soft' images with an increase
in noise due to the higher ISO. I usually tweek the sharpening sometimes
even though I risk adding even more noise to make leaf outlines and the
dark tree trunks less soft.
Old May 28th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 23 May 2008 14:59:53 -0500, Allen wrote:

I used Rodinal with PanX and got amazingly sharp results. Not extra fine
grain, but sharp.

I primarily used Agfa's 'one shot' Rodinal developer and to a
lesser degree, Acufine. I never really thought about Rodinal as far
as sharpening is concerned, but based on how it worked (very dilute
solution used with minimal agitation and a relatively long
processing time) it would seem to be good for edge sharpening. The
highly exposed areas of the film would deplete the film's 'local'
developer, but the relatively unexposed areas ('shadows') would not
only continue developing, but could also supply a bit more of the
unused developer to the nearby more highly exposed parts of the
film, allowing the edges to develop a bit more than the 'developer
depleted' portions of the more highly exposed parts. B&H still
sells it, but due to shipping restrictions, you can only buy it in
the store.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Developer.html

I wonder if it is still being manufactured--a moot point as my
daughter now has my last film camera.

The last time I used my remaining Nikon SLR was about 10 years
ago, but if I ever shoot film again it might be with an old Nikon
TeleTouch Deluxe still stashed in my parent's home. If it still
works, that is.

Old May 28th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:03:19 -0500, Allen wrote:

Back when I was doing BW Rodinal was sold in glass bottles in a smaller
size that the one B&W lists.

Same here, and those small bottles lasted a loooong time. It may
have come in brown bottles (IIRC) but they should have been green,
since you used only what was needed - no wastage.