D300 handheld: 1/4 sec !!!

Old April 13th 08, 12:53 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

Default D300 handheld: 1/4 sec !!!

"Stewy" wrote in message
"Focus" wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
http://atlantic-diesel.com/Church.jpg

Interesting church wall---looks like fired tile. Where is it?

It's in Portugal, I think it was around Obidos (see Google maps). These
kind
of tiles are very popular here. They're all hand made and are like the
famous Dutch Delft Blue, but the Portuguese discovered it 2 centuries
before
and often use more colors then just blue and white.

You see them everywhere you go. Many cities and villages have their names
made of it. Like this one:
http://atlantic-diesel.com/DSC_0753_0794.jpg

I left it in original size. Shot with the D40.

It says: New Pinetree greets you (they have some funky names here, like "
Kill those Dogs", "From the two Brothers-in-Law").
The picture on the top reminds me of how the Portuguese really a they
*will* make a road around a tree instead of cutting it down. Even if it
means it narrows the road to one lane. The same you see with old houses.
think it's adorable and unique! Truly the best country I've ever seen...

If you're interested in patterned tiles, try visiting your local mosque,
or better still, Cairo or Istanbul or perhaps Grenada in Spain.

Muslims are forbidden to depict people or animals within their church as
this would be idolatry. The Catholics are somewhat less zealous.

Considering the fact that Muslim religion is 500 years younger than
Christianity, they're stuck in the medieval times compared to Christianity.
They are doing now what Christians did 500 years ago: convert people to
their believe thru force.
To me they're all idiots...
Luckily there are not that many of them in Portugal, which is 99,99%
Catholic ;-)

--
Focus

Old April 13th 08, 01:09 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
OldBoy[_2_]

"Focus" wrote in message

"Stewy" wrote in message
"Focus" wrote:

"
[...]

One dutchman is more than enough :-)

Old April 13th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_4_]

Default OT: was D300 handheld: 1/4 sec !!!

Allen wrote:
Focus wrote:
snip

Considering the fact that Muslim religion is 500 years younger than
Christianity, they're stuck in the medieval times compared to
Christianity. They are doing now what Christians did 500 years ago:
convert people to their believe thru force.
To me they're all idiots...
Luckily there are not that many of them in Portugal, which is 99,99%
Catholic ;-)

Focus, I'm glad that someone else realizes the historical similarity.
The Catholic church more than 500 years ago was very busy destroying any
sign of their idea of heresy, both against large groups and against
individuals. The world would be a much better place if we could somehow
abolish the mob mentality that seems to motivate people to attack those
whose ideas or skin color or language or any other characteristic they
can think of. Apparently this trait isn't limited just to humans, e. g.,
the title of Kozinski's novel "The Painted Bird".

Why do people assume that there should be a similar linear progression
across various belief systems? Was Buddhism in a "forceful conversion"
period in the 1100s-1200s? Will Mormonism be in one around the year
3400? Are there no Christian groups who are currently in a "forced
conversion" period? In the United States, they're still doing it, but
through politics.

It's more important that we don't mistake outliers and radicals for a
belief system as a whole. And also that we remove aus.photo from the
threads Rita's touched in this NG, which is actually the point of my
posting this.
Old April 13th 08, 05:57 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Deep Reset

"Stewy" wrote in message
"Focus" wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
[...]

Last time I was there, Grenada was in the Caribbean.

Deep

Old April 13th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Deep Reset wrote:
"Stewy" wrote in message

[]
If you're interested in patterned tiles, try visiting your local
mosque, or better still, Cairo or Istanbul or perhaps Grenada in
Spain.

Last time I was there, Grenada was in the Caribbean.

Deep

Indeed:

http://www.andalucia.com/cities/granada.htm

David

Old April 13th 08, 11:16 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

Default was D300 handheld: 1/4 sec !!!

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Cynicor wrote:

It's more important that we don't mistake outliers and radicals for a
belief system as a whole. And also that we remove aus.photo from the
threads Rita's touched in this NG, which is actually the point of my
posting this.

We all know you have a hardon for me, but at least get your facts straight.

97% on the irony meter.

I did *NOT* start this thread nor did I put aus.photo into it. Don't get me
wrong, just because the Aussies have toilets where the water spins backwards

They don't.

than the rest of the civilized world is no excuse for your petty prejudice
against them.

Looks more like a rational prejudice against you.

Now go learn how to set your WB to get proper exposure.

Learn about RAW.

--
Ray Fischer

Old April 19th 08, 03:30 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Stewy

In article ,
"Deep Reset" wrote:

"Stewy" wrote in message
"Focus" wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
[...]

Musta been blow a heck of a long way off course...