D300 handheld: 1/4 sec !!!

Old April 7th 08, 07:58 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

Default D300 handheld: 1/4 sec !!!

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Church.jpg

--
Focus

Old April 7th 08, 11:57 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve[_12_]

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:58:55 +0100, "Focus" wrote:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Church.jpg

Are you just starting to use VR? Pretty amazing isn't it. I have
lots of sharp shots like that at 1/4 sec or even less, especially at
only 18mm.

Since you have a D300, why didn't you bump the ISO above 1000? That
shot looks like something I would have done with my D200 because I
wouldn't want to go much higher than ISO 1000 and because my 18mm VR
lens performs better at f/7 (where that shot was taken) than the f/3.5
max.

Steve
Old April 8th 08, 10:14 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

"Steve" wrote in message
news

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:58:55 +0100, "Focus" wrote:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Church.jpg

Are you just starting to use VR? Pretty amazing isn't it. I have
lots of sharp shots like that at 1/4 sec or even less, especially at
only 18mm.

No. It's done with a 18-135 mm without VR. Ihad the ISO already set and was
so amazed by the beauty of this simple looking church, I completely forgot
about it. So I shot it by accident that low. After looking at it, it seemed
OK ;-)
The D300 is very stable and the "trigger" works very smooth. The BG I have
attached all the time, gives it even more stability.

Since you have a D300, why didn't you bump the ISO above 1000? That
shot looks like something I would have done with my D200 because I
wouldn't want to go much higher than ISO 1000 and because my 18mm VR
lens performs better at f/7 (where that shot was taken) than the f/3.5
max.

Explained above. But in general I prefer the lowest possible ISO always. As
long as it gives me sharp pictures of course.

--
Focus

Old April 8th 08, 10:38 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

"Allen" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
http://atlantic-diesel.com/Church.jpg

Interesting church wall---looks like fired tile. Where is it?

It's in Portugal, I think it was around Obidos (see Google maps). These kind
of tiles are very popular here. They're all hand made and are like the
famous Dutch Delft Blue, but the Portuguese discovered it 2 centuries before
and often use more colors then just blue and white.

You see them everywhere you go. Many cities and villages have their names
made of it. Like this one:
http://atlantic-diesel.com/DSC_0753_0794.jpg

I left it in original size. Shot with the D40.

It says: New Pinetree greets you (they have some funky names here, like "
Kill those Dogs", "From the two Brothers-in-Law").
The picture on the top reminds me of how the Portuguese really a they
*will* make a road around a tree instead of cutting it down. Even if it
means it narrows the road to one lane. The same you see with old houses. I
think it's adorable and unique! Truly the best country I've ever seen...

--
Focus

Old April 8th 08, 01:05 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve[_12_]

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:14:24 +0100, "Focus" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
news

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:58:55 +0100, "Focus" wrote:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Church.jpg

Are you just starting to use VR? Pretty amazing isn't it. I have
lots of sharp shots like that at 1/4 sec or even less, especially at
only 18mm.

No. It's done with a 18-135 mm without VR. Ihad the ISO already set and was
so amazed by the beauty of this simple looking church, I completely forgot
about it. So I shot it by accident that low. After looking at it, it seemed
OK ;-)

Ah, ok. Without VR, 1/4 sec is a little more impressive even at 18mm.
With VR, you'd be getting handheld shots like that all the time.

Steve
Old April 8th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
[]
Not at 18mm since VR is totally ineffective at focal lengths of 50mm
and wider.

Rita

Rita, that does not agree with my own experience, nor that of many others.

[Cross-posting removed]

David

Old April 8th 08, 02:29 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve[_12_]

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:35:22 -0400, "Rita Berkowitz"
wrote:

Steve wrote:

No. It's done with a 18-135 mm without VR. Ihad the ISO already set
and was so amazed by the beauty of this simple looking church, I
completely forgot about it. So I shot it by accident that low. After
looking at it, it seemed OK ;-)

Ah, ok. Without VR, 1/4 sec is a little more impressive even at 18mm.
With VR, you'd be getting handheld shots like that all the time.

Not at 18mm since VR is totally ineffective at focal lengths of 50mm and
wider.

Not mine. It works great at focal lengths less than 50mm. Yours must
be broken.

In fact, when I was taking pictures at the auto show in dim available
light handheld at 1/20, 1/10, 1/8, even 1/4 sec shutter and using
pretty much 30mm down to 18mm for everything, I was wondering why so
many shots were not as sharp as I was used to when I zoomed in on the
LCD screen. Then I noticed I had left the VR off from the day before
when I was using a tripod. I turned it on and presto, nice sharp
images. Big improvement in the percentage of sharp shots even well
less than 50mm.

Steve
Old April 8th 08, 05:13 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

"Allen" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
"Allen" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
[...]

Portugal never even entered my mind, although it is right there in your
ID. It looked Eastern Orthodox to me except for the paintings. We see a
large quantity of gorgeous decorated earthenware from Portugal in the US,
but I've never encountered any flat tiles. Perhaps the Portuguese
manufacturers aren't marketing aggressively across the Atlantic. I've
never been to Portugal, nor anywhere in Europe; "thanks" to mobility
issues that have come up in the past few years I doubt that I will ever
get there. However, my respect for Portugal as a beautiful and interesting
place (as well as a great place to eat) has been increasing rapidly over
the past few years.

Portugal never entered my mind either before I came here and I'm from
Holland. But I never regret the moment I decided to live here.
I think the Portuguese are too modest on one hand, on the other they really
are not very business minded. Many stores here have no clue what logistics
means.
But maybe it's an idea to find out. There could be a market for it.

--
Focus

Old April 13th 08, 04:46 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Stewy

In article ,
"Focus" wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
[...]

If you're interested in patterned tiles, try visiting your local mosque,
or better still, Cairo or Istanbul or perhaps Grenada in Spain.

Muslims are forbidden to depict people or animals within their church as
this would be idolatry. The Catholics are somewhat less zealous.