Nikon D40

Old June 20th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
robert w fischer

Default Nikon D40

I have read a lot in regard to the Nikon D40 both pro and con, after
playing around with it at Circuit City, I found that I was somewhat
pleased with what they have offered (I now have a P and S camera about
two years old Cannon A610 which is still taking great shots, most of the
time however I feel that it is time to move up a bit The price at
Circuit City is $549.00 with the kit lens, I also have a $35.00 credit
to use against any thing brought in the store which would bring the
price down to $514.00 plus added Tax is this in your opinion a good
deal or should I go a bit higher in price (I am on a somewhat limted
income) and cannot see spending a really large amount of money but
still would like a camera that takes really great shots any help
would be most appreciated
Thank you

Old June 20th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:47:38 -0400, robert w fischer wrote:

I have read a lot in regard to the Nikon D40 both pro and con, after
playing around with it at Circuit City, I found that I was somewhat
pleased with what they have offered (I now have a P and S camera about
two years old Cannon A610 which is still taking great shots, most of the
time however I feel that it is time to move up a bit The price at
Circuit City is $549.00 with the kit lens, I also have a $35.00 credit
to use against any thing brought in the store which would bring the
price down to $514.00 plus added Tax is this in your opinion a good
deal or should I go a bit higher in price (I am on a somewhat limted
income) and cannot see spending a really large amount of money but
still would like a camera that takes really great shots any help
would be most appreciated

The D40 is a very nice camera that is capable of producing
excellent images. It's virtually the same as my D50 which it
replaced, and it also is one of the better cameras for taking
pictures in low light conditions. I have the A620, so we have two
similar cameras, and if you're like me, you'll still use both. For
enthusiastic reviews, see the two URLs below for the D40 and its kit
lens. KR, btw, prefers the D40 over the more expensive D40x, and in
that I agree. The price is very good - even if you pay twice as
much for a D80 with a more expensive lens, it's unlikely that you'd
notice any difference in the prints unless you make extremely large
prints, and even then the differences would be very subtle. If you
have to spend more money, I think you'd have a *much* better kit if
you added Nikon's new 55-200mm VR lens (which makes an excellent
companion for the 18-55mm kit lens) vs. getting a D80 instead of the
D40, and you'd save a good deal of money with the 2 lens combo. But
for a starter package, the D40 with its kit lens is hard to beat.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55-ii.htm

Old June 20th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

robert w fischer wrote:
I have read a lot in regard to the Nikon D40 both pro and con, after
playing around with it at Circuit City, I found that I was somewhat
pleased with what they have offered (I now have a P and S camera
about two years old Cannon A610 which is still taking great shots,
most of the time however I feel that it is time to move up a bit The
price at Circuit City is $549.00 with the kit lens,

Costco.com also 549,-, B&H Video and Photo only 525,-, see
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
Opposite to many scum bags out there B&H are very respectable dealers. With
shipping and handling you are probably in the same ballpark except you save
the taxes.

I also have a
$35.00 credit to use against any thing brought in the store which
would bring the price down to $514.00 plus added Tax is this in your
opinion a good deal or should I go a bit higher in price (I am on a
somewhat limted income) and cannot see spending a really large
amount of money but still would like a camera that takes really great
shots

Well, you did your research and you know of the shortcomings of the D40. You
must decide if they are acceptable for you or not.
When I was facing the same decision a few months ago the deciding factor was
actually the small size of the D40. It just didn't feel right and my fingers
would always get in the way. Therefore I went for the D80. I am quite happy
with this camera and even bought a 50mm f/1.8 which would not autofocus on a
D40.

But when making the decision of what camera to buy you should always
remember that the most important piece of equipment is the one that is
looking through the viewfinder and releasing the shutter.

jue

Old June 20th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
babaloo

A dSLR is a very capable machine. However in actual use they are overkill
for most people who do not want to pursue photography further technically
with different lenses and, hopefully, software processing of their images.
If it is your intent to pursue photography further then see if you can get
the d40x. The larger sensor will pay off down the line if you become more
knowledgeable about what you are doing.
After decades pursuing photography, primarily with SLRs and the occasional
Leica RF, I think most people would be happier with the long zoom/image
stabilized cameras than lugging around a dSLR.
If I did not have an arsenal of lenses and an addiction to raw images I
would seriously consider ditching the format entirely.
While the dSLR sensor is better, the optical performance (and limited zoom
range) of the kit Canon/Nikon et al 18-55 lens is such that these lenses,
which may be all most new dSLR users ever have, more or less negates the
advantages of the dSLR sensor. The 55-200s (particularly the non image
stabilized Nikon) are of equally dubious quality.
The jpeg in-camera processing algorithms of dSLRs reduce images to the same
mini-lab quality you can get from any good quality digital camera. Why lug
around a heavier, more expensive, more limited zoom range camera?
Its your pain in the neck . . .

Old June 20th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Stumbles

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:47:38 -0400, robert w fischer wrote:

I have read a lot in regard to the Nikon D40 both pro and con ...

The direct competition is the Pentax K100D. imaging-resource has good
reviews of both (and more).

--
John Stumbles

I'm less competitive than you
Old June 21st 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jun 19, 10:47 pm, (robert w fischer) wrote:
I have read a lot in regard to the Nikon D40 both pro and con, after
playing around with it at Circuit City, I found that I was somewhat
pleased with what they have offered (I now have a P and S camera about
two years old Cannon A610 which is still taking great shots, most of the
time however I feel that it is time to move up a bit The price at
Circuit City is $549.00 with the kit lens, I also have a $35.00 credit
to use against any thing brought in the store which would bring the
price down to $514.00 plus added Tax is this in your opinion a good
deal or should I go a bit higher in price (I am on a somewhat limted
income) and cannot see spending a really large amount of money but
still would like a camera that takes really great shots any help
would be most appreciated
Thank you

Hi Robert,

I would classify myself as more of a beginner in the photography
field, but I have to tell you that I have been absolutely amazed at
what my d40 can do. I have owned it for a little less than a month
now, and purchased the standard kit and opted for the 55-200mm vr to
supplement the 18-55 that came with the kit. I find myself doing
mainly action shots (races at Road Atlanta) and the occasional macro
or portrait. This kit with both of these lenses has proven to be more
than I could ever ask for. I have borrowed a friend's d80 paired up
with Nikon's 70-200mm vr f/2.8 and used it in the same situations that
I am using my d40 at races and to my eye, the pictures I have taken
look equally good with my kit costing approximately $1500 less than
the d80 i was using. My suggestion is to go ahead and buy the d40 - it
will not dissapoint!

-CJ Johns

Old June 21st 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Malcolm Hoar

In article , (robert w fischer) wrote:
I have read a lot in regard to the Nikon D40 both pro and con, after
playing around with it at Circuit City, I found that I was somewhat
pleased with what they have offered (I now have a P and S camera about
two years old Cannon A610 which is still taking great shots, most of the
time however I feel that it is time to move up a bit The price at
Circuit City is $549.00 with the kit lens, I also have a $35.00 credit
to use against any thing brought in the store which would bring the
price down to $514.00 plus added Tax is this in your opinion a good
deal or should I go a bit higher in price (I am on a somewhat limted
income) and cannot see spending a really large amount of money but
still would like a camera that takes really great shots any help
would be most appreciated

The D40 is a great little camera and the prices you mentioned
are very reasonable. Obviously, it does have some limitations
compared to the much more costly D80 and D200. Check the specs
*very* carefully. If the D40 does what you need, this is a
great deal for you.

But if you really need (for example) 5 frames/sec it simply
isn't going to do the job for you and you'll need to pony
up for a D200.

You might find this article interesting and useful:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2007-05-what-camera.htm

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Old June 22nd 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jun 20, 12:47 pm, (robert w fischer) wrote:
I have read a lot in regard to the Nikon D40 both pro and con, after
playing around with it at Circuit City, I found that I was somewhat
pleased with what they have offered (I now have a P and S camera about
two years old Cannon A610 which is still taking great shots, most of the
time however I feel that it is time to move up a bit The price at
Circuit City is $549.00 with the kit lens, I also have a $35.00 credit
to use against any thing brought in the store which would bring the
price down to $514.00 plus added Tax is this in your opinion a good
deal or should I go a bit higher in price (I am on a somewhat limted
income) and cannot see spending a really large amount of money but
still would like a camera that takes really great shots any help
would be most appreciated
Thank you

I have one on 21 day trial, will be going back

Dont like [thats just me though] the following:

Not enough zoom [larger optional zooms are more exp. than the camera]
HATE taking photos through the viewfinder, its old hat.
To complicated/complex
To many different choices and settings
To big, to heavy
Wants to fire the flash all the time
Does not have a anti-dust setting like other DSLR's, can see dust
already.
Hard to use one handed

It does fire and focus real fast, but its not for me.

Will be returned

AUS

Old June 22nd 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

wrote:
On Jun 20, 12:47 pm, (robert w fischer) wrote:
I have read a lot in regard to the Nikon D40 both pro and con, after

I have one on 21 day trial, will be going back

Dont like [thats just me though] the following:

Not enough zoom [larger optional zooms are more exp. than the camera]

The D40 has _no_ zoom at all, you must be talking about the lens

HATE taking photos through the viewfinder, its old hat.
To complicated/complex
To many different choices and settings

Well, for a SLR the options are actually limited compared to a professional
SLR.

To big, to heavy

ROTFL.
The D40 is the smallest and lightest DSLR available. So small in fact, that
it didn't feel right for me and I bought the larger D80 instead.

Wants to fire the flash all the time

You must have used the wrong configuration/settings/options.

Does not have a anti-dust setting like other DSLR's, can see dust
already.

Dust after 21 days? What on earth were you doing? Changing lenses in the
middle of a sand storm?

Hard to use one handed

SLRs are not meant to be used single-handed (although to some degree you can
if needed).

It does fire and focus real fast, but its not for me.

Well, I would say good call. SLRs are certainly not the right choice for
your preferences.

jue

Old June 22nd 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jun 22, 1:51 pm, "Jürgen Exner" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Its a well made and performing camera, and does quality photos, the
real thing is i am not ready for a DSLR i needed to try one and now
can confirm that, a superzoom perhaps [Panny FZ8?] besides
i have better things to spend AUS$899 on.

Its not for me, does not suit me, but it may suit him/her?

I was refering to the kit lens supplied 55mm as for the zoom.

FYI the smallest DSLR is now made by Olympus, also the Olympus has the
live-view which i would prefer, taking photos with the screen not the
tiny little viewfinder.Oh and the anti-dust thingo.For mine its a
better DSLR camera but its around 50% more, soon as Oly have them on
try_b4_you_buy i will grab one and report.

I have a SLR has the name of Minolta Maxxum 7000 on it:-)

Like i said its a quality product, but it aint for me

Cheers

AUS