Educating customers

Old December 16th 05, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Educating customers

Hi,

I have a business related question -

My wife sends me potential photography clients all the time. A great
many of them think that my photography is a hobby and I'd basically be
willing to do what they want for free.

(This is not true, the photography is very much a part of my web design
business, and I have to charge for my services.)

I have found the following phrases useful "What's your budget for
this?" and "How would you like to pay for that?" - but sometimes people
appear shocked that I would consider charging them at all.

I was curious as to how other photographers have "educated" their
potential customers to expect that payment will be required for
services.

Dave

Old December 16th 05, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Instead of saying "My husband can do that for you" your wife should be
saying "My husband's business can do that for you." If the folks are a
non profit (church, foodbank etc) you can always do services for a tax
deduction, with the proper paper work of course. IRS can be sticky
about that.

Tom

Old December 16th 05, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

She has said "I don't know how much that would cost" but they don't
seem to be listening...

Old December 17th 05, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
oups.com...
She has said "I don't know how much that would cost" but they don't
seem to be listening...

It must (somehow) be coming out like "I don't know how much that would cost
you but I have a free alternative for you." Maybe, if she handed out a
business card to potential clients that listed the photography on it as one
of your services, it would come across as another of your business
services???? And, if they weren't listening, it'd give them a written
reminder...

George

Old December 17th 05, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

george wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
She has said "I don't know how much that would cost" but they don't
seem to be listening...

It must (somehow) be coming out like "I don't know how much that
would cost you but I have a free alternative for you." Maybe, if
she
handed out a business card to potential clients that listed the
photography on it as one of your services, it would come across as
another of your business services???? And, if they weren't
listening, it'd give them a written reminder...

George

Like, "Here's his card; call him for pricing."

Sounds good.

--
Frank ess

Old December 17th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:07:18 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

I was curious as to how other photographers have "educated" their
potential customers to expect that payment will be required for
services.

Probably you should tell your wife that if she wants to refer people to
you, she should tell them that there WILL be a charge as you can't do
these services for free.

Or make sure that the wife knows enough about the business so that
she can tell the client precisely what the costs will be, and for
that she should earn at least a referral fee. The potential clients
have obviously been given the wrong impression by the wife about her
husband's photo services. Unless she is first educated in how to
deal with the potential customers, they won't be.