Are Canadian retailers "Brooklyn scumbags" too??

Old April 29th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Are Canadian retailers "Brooklyn scumbags" too??

The Canadian dollar is worth about $0.87 of the American. The Canadian
price for this card is $129 plus tax, so $148.00 in total.

http://www.henrys.com/...
....epartmentId=10404&itemID=170903&categoryId=109 54

Meanwhile, the American price is around $55.00 so even converted to
Can. with Can tax added, it comes out to only $72.00.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/... .../search=sandisk%20extreme%20III
%20sd

So, camera pricing is almost on par, but it seems accessory pricing is
WAY out of line in some cases.

Old April 29th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Canadian dollar is worth about $0.87 of the American. The Canadian
price for this card is $129 plus tax, so $148.00 in total.

http://www.henrys.com/...
...epartmentId=10404&itemID=170903&categoryId=1095 4

Meanwhile, the American price is around $55.00 so even converted to
Can. with Can tax added, it comes out to only $72.00.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/... .../search=sandisk%20extreme%20III
%20sd

So, camera pricing is almost on par, but it seems accessory pricing is
WAY out of line in some cases.

As usual, Rich, you have nothing to say and you resort to sensationalism ;-(
First: What card are you talking about? CF? XD? SD? etc... I gig? 2gig?,
etc. What speed?
Second: Give us the link: http://tinyurl.com/2mw9kn
Let us judge by ourselves without resorting to "cry wolf" tactics.
In general, you're right in saying we pay more for mem cards in Canada than
in USA, but this is equally true at different stores, including Costco!
Why hone in on one particular store? I see the same thing at Vistek:
http://www.vistek.ca/camerastore/MemoryCards.aspx or
http://tinyurl.com/2tt844
Really, you must have an empty life..... sigh
Marcel

Old April 29th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Apr 29, 7:27 am, "Celcius" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

oups.com... The Canadian dollar is worth about $0.87 of the American. The Canadian
price for this card is $129 plus tax, so $148.00 in total.

http://www.henrys.com/...
...epartmentId=10404&itemID=170903&categoryId=1095 4

Meanwhile, the American price is around $55.00 so even converted to
Can. with Can tax added, it comes out to only $72.00.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/... .../search=sandisk%20extreme%20III
%20sd

So, camera pricing is almost on par, but it seems accessory pricing is
WAY out of line in some cases.

As usual, Rich, you have nothing to say and you resort to sensationalism ;-(
First: What card are you talking about? CF? XD? SD? etc... I gig? 2gig?,
etc. What speed?

2gig, Extreme III SD cards from Sandisk.

Second: Give us the link:http://tinyurl.com/2mw9kn
Let us judge by ourselves without resorting to "cry wolf" tactics.
In general, you're right in saying we pay more for mem cards in Canada than
in USA, but this is equally true at different stores, including Costco!

The only cards that are cheap in Canada are "no names" that don't
specify things like speed.

Why hone in on one particular store? I see the same thing at Vistek:http://www.vistek.ca/camerastore/Mem...url.com/2tt844
Really, you must have an empty life..... sigh
Marcel

No, just pointing out why you can still get taken when you buy in
Canada, despite progress made at being at parity with U.S. pricing.
20 years ago, everything in Canada was 100% more costly than in the
U.S. Thanks to competition from across the border, the internet, this
is no longer the case with some things. However, you have to be aware
as things like cars (which are difficult to buy cross border) are
still way more expensive in Canada.
Some Canadian retailers still operate under the "European" idea of
selling a little for a lot, instead of selling a lot for a little. No
point in letting someone get a good deal on a camera then get hammered
by accessory costs.

Old April 30th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
loopy livernose

ups.com...
"RichA" wrote in message

oups.com... The
Canadian dollar is worth about $0.87 of the American. The Canadian
price for this card is $129 plus tax, so $148.00 in total.

http://www.henrys.com/...
...epartmentId=10404&itemID=170903&categoryId=1095 4

Meanwhile, the American price is around $55.00 so even converted to
Can. with Can tax added, it comes out to only $72.00.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/... .../search=sandisk%20extreme%20III
%20sd

So, camera pricing is almost on par, but it seems accessory pricing is
WAY out of line in some cases.

As usual, Rich, you have nothing to say and you resort to sensationalism
;-(
[...]

its been working for game system manufacturers like sony, the original PS
never made a cent on sales but they made up for it with extortionate game
prices, so did Nintendo with some consoles, the dreamcast they never made
a profit on the consoles and barely broke even on the games!

ok I know thats not camera's.. but its the same logic..

and that was globally, not just European?

Loopy

Old April 30th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 29 Apr, 12:27, "Celcius" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

[...]

So stop replying to him then it'll be even more empty, eh?

Doc