upload to usb jump drive

Old January 14th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default upload to usb jump drive

Are usb jump drives a good reliable temporary storage device and if so what
brand do you recommend.
Mark_

Old January 14th 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

mark_digital© wrote:
Are usb jump drives a good reliable temporary storage device and if so what
brand do you recommend.
Mark_

I imagine that they are all pretty much the same
I have a Sony 1GB, a Lexar 256MB and a PNY 128MB.
All work flawlessly in my computers.
My Lexar failed at a Costco Kiosk but worked at a WalMart Kiosk..
My Sony worked at the Costco Kiosk where the Lexar failed.
Must be a site specific problem, I suspect poor contact at the
Lexar/Costco Kiosk USB port.
Bob Williams

Old January 14th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

mark_digital© wrote:
Are usb jump drives a good reliable temporary storage device and if
so what brand do you recommend.
Mark_

Very reliable.
I like the Micro Mini from Iomega...mainly because it is FAR smaller than
any other I've seen, and carries in the pocket without much of a bump:
http://tinyurl.com/8j2sq
However, I've now taken to carrying the even-smaller, flat, amazing little
SD "Plus" card from SanDisk.
He
http://sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1096)-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_Cards.aspx
This little beauty is a full-speed, standard-size Secure Digital card (a
fast Ultra II version, BTW), but it **folds in the middle** to reveal a
built-in usb 2.0 connection, complete with ultra tiny blue led light to
indicate when it's properly connected(!). Due to it's flatness and tiny
size, it fits into my wallet without me even noticing that it's there. I
like this, since I'm much more likely to misplace my keys than I am my
wallet.

About security:
One thing few people consider is the relative lack of security these USB
drives have.
If you lose your keys...with your drive on the key-ring...then anyone who
finds your keys also finds your precious files. I don't know about you, but
if the file is important enough to keep with me, or move around...it's
probably something I don't want in a finders-keepers-person's hands...
....For this reason, you might want to look at Lexar's recent drive version
that comes with built-in password protection--an aspect long over-due in USB
drives.
He
http://lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd_secureII.html

Heck...Lexar even has one with a (believe it or not) built-in finger-print
reader!!
He http://lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd_touchguard.html

Amazing.

-Mark

Old January 14th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Mark˛" mjmorgan(lowest even number writes:
I like the Micro Mini from Iomega...mainly because it is FAR smaller than
any other I've seen, and carries in the pocket without much of a bump:
http://tinyurl.com/8j2sq

PQI also has an extremely small, flat one:

http://www.pqi1st.com/products/istick.asp

However, I've now taken to carrying the even-smaller, flat, amazing little
SD "Plus" card from SanDisk.

How do you like it? Reviews have been mixed, and I've heard the USB
transfer speed is rather slow.

...For this reason, you might want to look at Lexar's recent drive version
that comes with built-in password protection--an aspect long over-due in USB
drives. He http://lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd_secureII.html

Be careful, the security of those things are not very good:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...ghouse_le.html

Better use separate file encryption, e.g. www.gnupg.org.
Old January 14th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have a Lexar 1 Gig that I have carried in my pocket for a year. It has
always worked for me.

Old January 15th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Mark?" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

[...]

Don't keep your USB drive on your keychain.

---- Paul J. Gans

Old January 15th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul J Gans wrote:
[...]

That's my point.
People do, and are likely to lose data when they lose those keys...

That's why I like the SD Plus card...which stays in my wallet.
I haven't lost a wallet in over 20 years. Even if you don't *lose* your
keys, they are more likely to be set down at work, etc. Your wallet (as a
guy, anyway) stays in your pocket.

Old January 15th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

mark_digital© wrote:
Are usb jump drives a good reliable temporary storage device and if so what
brand do you recommend.
Mark_

Any brand. These are quite reliable for temporary storage.