Fuji S5000 -- Jump to S5200?

Old October 26th 05, 12:33 PM
Desdinova

Default Fuji S5000 -- Jump to S5200?

Hey all, first post here.

I was just given an S5000 in like new condition.
This is the first digital camera that I have owned. I have, in the
past, used Canon A-series, Nikon CP990 and some sony jobber.

It seems like kind of a toilet but I do like the control layout better
than other cameras I've used, even if it comes at the expense of fine
control. (white balance, sharpening, jpeg compression, etc)

I come from the late 70s/early 80s Nikons where everything is pretty
much just there. My bodies were usually the FE or F3HP, falling back on
an FT2 for bad and/or cold weather situations.

Are there other cameras out there that have similar control layouts? I
noticed that fuji recently released the S5200(5600) with rather
impressive spec for its price point. I'm wondering if I should look
into getting one of those.

I haven't really looked into DSLRs because they're generally out of my
price range and none of my glass would, to my knowledge, play nice with
them. NAI and AI, none chipped.

Any insight on the 5200/5600 would be appreciated. If you've got one,
how do you like it so far?

Take care,
Des
Old October 26th 05, 01:07 PM
ASAAR

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:33:50 GMT, Desdinova wrote:

I was just given an S5000 in like new condition.
This is the first digital camera that I have owned. I have, in the
past, used Canon A-series, Nikon CP990 and some sony jobber.

It seems like kind of a toilet but I do like the control layout better
than other cameras I've used, even if it comes at the expense of fine
control. (white balance, sharpening, jpeg compression, etc)

I'm not very familiar with the S5000, but the S5100 was a nice
improvement based on forum reports I read last December. It allows
for control of white balance, choice of compression level (at least
in the highest resolution) and also can capture RAW images. I've
been very happy with the S5100, and I like the fact that it uses
inexpensive AA batteries. While I generally use NiMH batteries in
it, I tested it with alkalines and it performed exceptionally well.
Using the method mentioned in the manual (lots of flash, frequent
zooming, etc.) over 200 shots per set of batteries. If flash isn't
needed, over 800. NiMH should provide about twice that. I assume
that the S5200 will provide the same battery life.

I haven't really looked into DSLRs because they're generally
out of my price range and none of my glass would, to my knowledge,
play nice with them. NAI and AI, none chipped.

I'll eventually get a DSLR body, which should put several of my
AI-s lenses back into service. Someone just identified in another
message a person that can add chips to older lenses. It's in the
thread " Nikon D50 & Older Lenses" and offered this URL:

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

Old October 27th 05, 06:23 AM
Desdinova

ASAAR wrote:

I'm not very familiar with the S5000, but the S5100 was a nice
improvement based on forum reports I read last December. It allows
for control of white balance, choice of compression level (at least
in the highest resolution) and also can capture RAW images. I've
been very happy with the S5100, and I like the fact that it uses
inexpensive AA batteries. While I generally use NiMH batteries in
it, I tested it with alkalines and it performed exceptionally well.
Using the method mentioned in the manual (lots of flash, frequent
zooming, etc.) over 200 shots per set of batteries. If flash isn't
needed, over 800. NiMH should provide about twice that. I assume
that the S5200 will provide the same battery life.

I've been using 1700mAh NiMHs and I am VERY surprised at the battery
life with this camera. I spent a couple hours hiking and shooting with
and without flash and it worked swimingly. Even had plenty of juice
left over to transfer the images to my computer via USB.

I'll eventually get a DSLR body, which should put several of my
AI-s lenses back into service. Someone just identified in another
message a person that can add chips to older lenses. It's in the
thread " Nikon D50 & Older Lenses" and offered this URL:

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

Nice, thanks for the link.

Take care,
Des