Damn Troll

Old February 12th 05, 05:25 PM
Mij Adyaw

Default Damn Troll

Why doesn't someone report the damn troll to his ISP so that they can
terminate his Internet access. This seems to be the best solution.

Thanks,

-mij

Old February 12th 05, 05:43 PM
Roland Karlsson

"Mij Adyaw" wrote in news:h_qPd.65659$bu.16275
@fed1read06:

Why doesn't someone report the damn troll to his ISP so that they can
terminate his Internet access. This seems to be the best solution.

It is probably reported lots of times by now.
And if you can tell us who the troll is and
also what ISP he/she uses, then maybe the
reporting may have some effect.

/Roland
Old February 12th 05, 07:02 PM
Gaderian

Mij Adyaw wrote:
Why doesn't someone report the damn troll to his ISP so that they can
terminate his Internet access. This seems to be the best solution.

Thanks,

-mij

Here's the reverse searchh on the troll's ISP.

Search results for: 211.92.108.205

OrgName: Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
OrgID: APNIC
Address: PO Box 2131
City: Milton
StateProv: QLD
PostalCode: 4064
Country: AU

ReferralServer: whois://whois.apnic.net

NetRange: 210.0.0.0 - 211.255.255.255
CIDR: 210.0.0.0/7
NetName: APNIC-CIDR-BLK2
NetHandle: NET-210-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Allocated to APNIC
NameServer: NS1.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS3.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS4.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS.RIPE.NET
NameServer: TINNIE.ARIN.NET
NameServer: DNS1.TELSTRA.NET

Old February 12th 05, 08:14 PM
True211

"Gaderian" wrote in message
Mij Adyaw wrote:
[...]

Interesting. It looks like the idiot's proxy wasn't working. I think the
troll may have just outed himself by accident.

Old February 12th 05, 08:30 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Gaderian wrote:
Here's the reverse searchh on the troll's ISP.

Search results for: 211.92.108.205

OrgName: Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
OrgID: APNIC
Address: PO Box 2131
City: Milton
StateProv: QLD
PostalCode: 4064
Country: AU

That info is incorrect. Here's the correct info:
Old February 12th 05, 08:33 PM
True211

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gaderian wrote:
[...]

That's more like it.

Goodluck communicating with the Chinese in English language.

Even if you could, it wouldn't do much good. That is not the troll's ISP
.... it is a relay proxy. At best, if you spoke Chinese, you *might* be able
to get them to close the proxy. Then the troll could just find a new one.

It is up to Google to stop this. All they need to do is temporarily disable
manual followup headers.

Old February 12th 05, 09:01 PM
Siddhartha Jain

True211 wrote:
It is up to Google to stop this. All they need to do is temporarily

disable
manual followup headers.

Google doesn't need a million dollar filter to stop this. Its pretty
simple, to me. Here's what Google needs to do:
1. Disable manual followup headers. Why is it needed in the first
place? Did they take the code from an email client?
2. Track open free and commercial proxies and ban postings from them.
Several message boards already do this so it shouldn't be rocket
science to Google.
3. Now, the troll will be forced to use the ISP's IP address to post.
Google can send an email to the ISP reporting abuse and informing the
ISP that its netblock will be blocked from accessing Google if the
abuse continues. Other than VERY large ISPs like AOL, others will act
immiediately because loss of access to Google will create panic amongst
the ISP's network/system admins itself if you know what I mean

For the ISP, if the offending IP is static then its easy to warn the
customer. If its dynamic then you have the time of posting from the
headers and you can correlate that with the RAS logs to determine which
customer used that IP address. A polite mail to the customer alongwith
the offending post's copy should be sufficient to stop the troll from
posting again.

Given Google's crack R&D and engineering team, I am very surprised that
Google doesn't already have such a mechanism in place.

- Siddhartha

Old February 12th 05, 09:59 PM
Charles Schuler

If you report abusive posts to Google, you'll get this:

"Thank you for your note. Google does not regularly monitor or censor
postings sent to Google Groups, but we do try to prevent wide-scale spam
and other forms of Usenet abuse. Please be assured that the information
you sent to us is being collected and taken into account. While we
understand how annoying off-topic posts can be, we aren't able to pursue
most complaints we receive about them. We are using the information you
provide to make large-scale improvements in preventing abuse. We
appreciate your help in our efforts to increase the quality of Google
Groups.

Replies to this email address will not be received. If you have a general
Google Groups question or wish to report a post that you suspect is
illegal, please write to us at

Regards,
The Google Team"

And here is what the Google folks say at
http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/posting_faq.html

"I don't want my email address to be published on the web, but I still want
to post. How can I hide my email address?

We require a valid email address to post to Google Groups. If you don't want
your normal email address to be listed, we encourage you to sign up for an
anonymous account with one of the many free email services available on the
web and to post from that account. You can find a list of such services by
conducting a Google search, or just clicking here."

So, in a nutshell, Google does not give a rodent's behind and goes even
farther by supporting anonymous posts.

Old February 12th 05, 10:04 PM
True211

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

So, in a nutshell, Google does not give a rodent's behind and goes even
farther by supporting anonymous posts.

Essentially.

Old February 12th 05, 10:56 PM
Scharf-DCA

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

Given Google's crack R&D and engineering team, I am very surprised

that
Google doesn't already have such a mechanism in place.

Google Groups doesn't generate any revenue so they won't spend money on
doing things right.

I only see any of the crap when I try to read using Google Groups. In
Outlook I have extensive filters set-up, and almost none of the spam
gets through them. First I filter by subject, including massive numbers
of mis-spellings, thousands of filtered words and phrases.

Second, I immediately kill-file anyone that follows-up to the posts
with mis-directed follow-ups.

I wouldn't have seen this post in Outlook, since both "damn" and
"troll" are filtered subject words.

There will always be disturbed people in the world, you just have to
find ways to automatically ignore them.