Sony uses "pellicle" approach in new EVF "SLT"cameras (a33 and a55).

Old August 25th 10, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Sony uses "pellicle" approach in new EVF "SLT"cameras (a33 and a55).

Sony call it "Translucent Mirror Technology".

It allows phase detection AF in both still and video shooting
(continuous AF in video based on phase detect).

... in the a55 there is also a GPS (yea!) for geotagging images.
Hopefully that will bleed up into the next FF version.

For the video, it's a hair underwhelming (I guess they don't want to
steal thunder from the VG-10?):

• AVCHD: 1920 x 1080, 59.94i (from 29.97fps sensor output)
• Motion JPEG: 1440 x 1080, 29.97p or 25p, depending on region

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10...yslta55a33.asp

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.

Old August 26th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:36:59 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Sony call it "Translucent Mirror Technology".

It allows phase detection AF in both still and video shooting
(continuous AF in video based on phase detect).

... in the a55 there is also a GPS (yea!) for geotagging images.
Hopefully that will bleed up into the next FF version.

For the video, it's a hair underwhelming (I guess they don't want to
steal thunder from the VG-10?):

• AVCHD: 1920 x 1080, 59.94i (from 29.97fps sensor output)
• Motion JPEG: 1440 x 1080, 29.97p or 25p, depending on region

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10...yslta55a33.asp

Looks promising, but we'll see about IQ, real usability of the EVF
during high speed shooting, etc. It will be interesting to see if
Sony's approach is better in the long run than the contrast detect
method used by the m4/3 cams.

Long live the Canon Pellix!
Old August 26th 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:

Sony call it "Translucent Mirror Technology".

It allows phase detection AF in both still and video shooting
(continuous AF in video based on phase detect).

... in the a55 there is also a GPS (yea!) for geotagging images.
Hopefully that will bleed up into the next FF version.

For the video, it's a hair underwhelming (I guess they don't want to
steal thunder from the VG-10?):

• AVCHD: 1920 x 1080, 59.94i (from 29.97fps sensor output)
• Motion JPEG: 1440 x 1080, 29.97p or 25p, depending on region

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10...yslta55a33.asp

Looks promising, but we'll see about IQ, real usability of the EVF
during high speed shooting, etc. It will be interesting to see if
Sony's approach is better in the long run than the contrast detect
method used by the m4/3 cams.

I think phase detect has demonstrated its superiority, so that's a
non-issue.

The IQ is an issue. I haven't been very impressed with the Sony 14 Mpix
APS-C camera images. The 16 Mpix would be even more challenged. Unless
Sony have improved their sauce, this is the weakest area, IMO.

As to "high speed shooting", this camera is aimed at casual users who
won't be focusing on any particular kind of shooting - they will esp.
like the video mode (which is very good, per spec).

This camera may find its niche amongst people who use one high ratio
zoom for travel shooting. Sony should come out with a _really_ good
16-100mm zoom that is reasonably fast, not too much distortion. It
would find quite a following on the a55, I think.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.

Old August 26th 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

wrote:

[...]

Don't they already have a 16-105? Is it a dog?
Old August 26th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:

[...]

There is a Sony/Carl Zeiss 16-80 that is quite good without being great
(nor full frame, but that's okay for the intended market).

I haven't heard anything great about the 16-105. They (Minolta) used to
have a very nice 28-135 and I guess that's the class of lens I'd wish
them to come out with.

I guess I'm thinking a "beercan" (Minolta 70-210 f/4) level of quality.
The beercan was a very good zoom lens for its price (though not as
good as its legend, still very good).

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.

Old August 27th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

wrote:

[...]

I was wondering about this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._16_105mm.html