Insure your cameras and lenses like your phone?

Old April 14th 21, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Insure your cameras and lenses like your phone?

I’ll start by saying that I know that insurance in general is a bad bet.
But I got a pretty good deal on an expensive new phone, and decided to look
into a protection plan. Akko (https://app.getakko.com/) offers a plan for
$9/month, but that’s not the important thing. You can get another plan for
$14/month if paid annually, and it will insure your phone *plus* 24 other
items of your choosing. The insurance is generally for theft, damage, and
some failures (usually with $100 deductible), but you can see more on their
website.

So I figured that I could insure all of my expensive stuff that is often in
my car, which includes the iPad, and expensive cameras and lenses, and my
MacBook. But I can also add expensive music gear, even if it is never going
to be in my car.

I’m posting this for a couple of reasons: first to sort of recommend
looking into this, especially if you tend to carry pricey camera gear in your
car, but also to ask if anyone has an opinion on this, or is familiar with
this company. They have been around only since around 2018, so there are
certainly some risks. It would seem that they are opening themselves up to
endless scamming, but they also seem to have protections in place. You pretty
much have to prove that everything you insure is yours, and that it is in
good condition, and they are stricter with some things than others (MacBook
for instance).

And it’s not limited to camera gear or certain electronics. And I’m
assuming that drones would be included.

Old April 15th 21, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Incubus wrote:

Bill W:
[...]

As part of my household contents insurance policy, I have declared
certain items that I take outside of the house including my laptop,
camera and lenses. The extra premium is negligible. It won't cover
items left in a car, however. Doing that is asking for trouble.

Surely it covers it if its left in the trunk or glove compartment?

--
Sandman
Old April 15th 21, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Incubus wrote:

Incubus:
As part of my household contents insurance policy, I have
declared certain items that I take outside of the house
including my laptop, camera and lenses. The extra premium is
negligible. It won't cover items left in a car, however. Doing
that is asking for trouble.

Sandman:
Surely it covers it if its left in the trunk or glove compartment?

They are classed as personal possessions that are with me and not
left unattended. Other policies might be different but there's no
way I'd leave anything of mine in a car in the first instance.

Home insurance in Sweden always covers theft of personal possessions,
regardless of their whereabouts. They can deny compensation if you've left
your laptop on the seat of your car of course, you have to at least try to
make it inaccessible.

I mean, if you bring your camera to a party and when not using it you stow it
away in your camera bag in the closet with your clothes, and it gets stolen -
surely your home insurance would cover that?

It's not just your camera, if you bring your a change of clothes to a
masquerade and someone steals them, you should be covered. I just find it odd
that an insurance wouldn't cover your belongings just because they weren't
physically in your house. I can think of a number of scenarios where you
would bring items that are usually stationary in your house to somewhere else
and I would hate the feeling of my insurance not covering it just because I
took it out of the house.

--
Sandman

Old April 15th 21, 01:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Home insurance in Sweden always covers theft of personal possessions,
regardless of their whereabouts. They can deny compensation if you've left
your laptop on the seat of your car of course, you have to at least try to
make it inaccessible.

home insurance does not normally cover what's in a vehicle. that's why
it's called home insurance and not vehicle insurance, which is a
separate policy.

the norm for vehicle insurance are for items permanently attached to
the vehicle. items on the seat or in the trunk are not covered.

I mean, if you bring your camera to a party and when not using it you stow it
away in your camera bag in the closet with your clothes, and it gets stolen -
surely your home insurance would cover that?

what possible justification would your home insurance cover theft in
someone else's house?

*their* home insurance might cover it, however.

it's possible to get coverage specifically for equipment that is
carried from place to place, but that's yet another policy (or rider on
an existing policy).

It's not just your camera, if you bring your a change of clothes to a
masquerade and someone steals them, you should be covered.

hah, no.

what you describe is not only asking for abuse, but *begging* for it.

I just find it odd
that an insurance wouldn't cover your belongings just because they weren't
physically in your house. I can think of a number of scenarios where you
would bring items that are usually stationary in your house to somewhere else
and I would hate the feeling of my insurance not covering it just because I
took it out of the house.

it's called home insurance and not everywhere insurance for a reason.

what you describe is a rider for specific equipment, which must be
declared ahead of time and for specific items.