Newusers guide to DSLR testing

Old September 17th 04, 12:24 AM
Hugo Drax

Default Newusers guide to DSLR testing

I always get asked how do I know I got a good body, well below I have
provided a good general practice for all brand new DSLRs

A Newbies guide to testing your new DSLR
1. Ruler pictures, First I recommend taking pictures of the rulers using
centerfocus. to test the focus (should be sharp in the center)

2. Newspaper pictures, tape a newspaper and take pictures of it. (should be
very sharp at 100% view) repeat both tests at 5,10,20,40,60 feet then repeat
in poor lighting conditions

3. Lenscap (PIXEL TEST), take 30 seconds and then a 1 minute exposure at iso
100 and 400 with the lens and zoom in 100% and see if you see any defects
like red or blue pixels

4. CMOS DUST TEST. set camera to f/22 then take a picture of the sky at full
daylight. no dots should appear or you have a dirty sensor.

5. Advanced test(optional) Purchase a Gretag Macbeth color checker and a
Barco Reference Calibrator V monitor take a picture of the Macbeth color
checker, then view the image on the barco (warm up monitor for 30minutes
then make sure it has been calibrated) the colors should match exactly as
the target.

If your camera passes the 4 basic tests you have a good defect free body. if
it passes # 5 you have a reference grade body

RFD: rec.photo.dslr Thad Digital Photography 21 September 5th 04 02:22 AM
RFD: rec.photo.dslr Thad 35mm Photo Equipment 12 September 5th 04 02:22 AM
Why go dSLR? Bob Digital Photography 69 June 27th 04 07:22 PM
Books on Composition, developing an "Eye"? William J. Slater General Photography Techniques 9 April 7th 04 04:22 PM