Closeups with Sony ?

Old May 24th 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,news.misc.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Default Closeups with Sony ?

Hello,

I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I now
need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings. I am
not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a macro
lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank you very
much.

Bye

Old May 24th 06, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,news.misc.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

"Talal Itani" wrote...

Hello,

I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I now
need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings. I am
not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a macro
lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank you very
much.

Bye

In wide angle mode with macro, the camera can get to within 6 cm (about
2.5 inches). Do you need to get closer? PS--in telephoto, you can only get
as close as 30 cm (about a foot--no better than if the macro button is
disengaged)--and when between wide angle and tele, the closest macro is in
between, so the closest macro will be done with the camera in full wide
angle with the macro button engaged:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscp200/ (note that there are 10 pages
in this review so be sure to click the next buttons at the bottom of each
page.

It doesn't look like an adapter is available to use filters or close-up
lenses, so you may be stuck with what's mentioned above. The pricier cameras
either have optional filter adapters available--or have built-in threads to
accept filters and close-up lenses--and these'd really let you get closer.

One further thought. Given that this is a 7 MP camera, use the highest
quality setting (3072x2304 pixels). With this, you can crop the photo with
photo editing software and have the watch/ring fill the entire resulting
image.

Craig

Old May 24th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I now
need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings. I am
not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a macro
lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank you very
much.

The P200 has a macro setting - press the right hand button on the
options/directions pad. Here is an example of a photo I took just a few
minutes ago to demonstrate the feature on my P200, it's the same photo in
four different image sizes so take your pick depending on bandwidth. I made
no special effort with lighting, just natural light from the window on an
overcast day, and the shot was handheld. I'm sure I could have improved the
result with more effort (and a polishing cloth).

http://www.easytiger.plus.com/photos/

Regards,
Tim.

Old May 24th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

"Tiny Tim" . wrote in message
[...]

Oops, just checked the Exif data and I see the flash did fire for this
shot - I did try a few variations with manual, program and auto exposure
control. The picture was at F2.8 (full auto) so perhaps F5.6 would have
improved the focus a little.

Old May 24th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

"Tiny Tim" . wrote in message
"Tiny Tim" . wrote in message
[...]

snip

A few more attempts here, this time with a mini tripod but nothing special
lightingwise.

http://www.easytiger.plus.com/photos/album/

Old May 24th 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,news.misc.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Thank you for your informative reply. I have been using the camera at it's
6cm minimum range, with macro on, and widest angle. I need to take
photographs of gems, like diamonds and rubies, so I do need to get closer
than 6 cm. So far, I have been setting the camera to it's high resolution,
and then use image editing program to crop, but with this, I cannot see very
well the item on the LCD screen while taking the photos. I had hoped I can
turn digital zoom on, analog zoom off, and set the camera to low resolution,
in order to achieve cropping in the camera, but I could not do that. Analog
zoom always gets activated before digital zoom. You mentioned other
cameras. Are you referring to digital SLRs? I never tried a digital SLR. I
am considering a digital Rebel, but I worry I may purchase it and get
disappointed. I got used to looking at the LCD display, when taking shots.
I would appreciate further information from you. Thanks!

Old May 24th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

[...]

If you want to get so close that you can photograph gemstones then maybe the
new Canon S3-IS will suit you. It can focus to 0 cm in super-macro mode.
Have a look at the review here....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page5.asp

You may want to get a filter to protect the lens from scratches if you're
going to get that close with gemstones

Old May 25th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,news.misc.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

[...]

There is a conversion lens adapter for the Sony DSC-P200. It is a VAD-PHC
Lens Adapter.
$29.99 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=502394

$20.99 he
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Sony_3...D-PHC/p/491162

$26.95 at B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...t &sku=392153

And if you search Google for "VAD-PHC" without quotes, you get a lot of
hits.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old May 26th 06, 01:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,news.misc.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Sony has "telephoto conversion lenses" for their point and shoot digital
cameras. Can these filters help me in my very closeup shots?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Thanks!

Old August 19th 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,news.misc.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
David Ruether

This would not be the best option. Add first the adapter ring
mentioned above, then a close up lens (single element) or
"achromat" (two elements, for better sharpness) of the desired
power for the magnification you want (you will probably need
to experiment - but a mid value will give you less magnification
at WA, more at tele, possibly about what you want) of the right
thread size (you can get adapter rings to match different thread
sizes). A good dealer, like www.bhphotovideo.com , can
probably advise on parts if you buy from them. BTW, I prefer
the Nikon close-up lenses and achromats (all are about $40
each, I think), and 52mm ones can be adapted up or down to
fit the filter size of the adapter ring on the camera.
--
David Ruether

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether