Outdated film in fridge

Old July 6th 04, 11:13 PM
Edc4

Default Outdated film in fridge

How long does film really last beyond the expiration date if kept well )cool
dark in fridge)? I have some rolls that are 6 months old and wonder?

Thanks.
Old July 7th 04, 01:13 AM
Mark A

"Edc4" wrote in message
How long does film really last beyond the expiration date if kept

well )cool
dark in fridge)? I have some rolls that are 6 months old and wonder?

Thanks.

If you use outdated film, the same thing will happen to you that would
happen if you drank outdated milk. Your hair will fall out and you will go
blind.

Old July 7th 04, 09:42 PM
Alan Browne

Edc4 wrote:

How long does film really last beyond the expiration date if kept well )cool
dark in fridge)? I have some rolls that are 6 months old and wonder?

No problem, possible minor color shifts, likely you won't be able
to tell.

Old July 8th 04, 01:35 AM
DaveHodge

How long does film really last beyond the expiration date if kept well )cool
dark in fridge)?

If kept in the freezer at 0 degrees or below, the aging of the emulsion is
virtually arrested. So it should last forever. Unfortunately, gamma radiation
which cannot be eliminated by 10 ft. of lead, is constantly bombarding the
frozen film, and will eventually lead to some deterioration. However, I have
Kodak High Contrast Copy Film dated 1980 that is still giving good results, and
Kodak Professional Ektachrome 200 dated 1979 that is still giving acceptable
results. So my answer to your question is: "Keep it frozen and it will last a
long time."

Best regards from the top of the Chesapeake Bay--
Old July 8th 04, 05:05 AM
Photobossman

I have used film that has expired years later and had excellent results.
However the film has been frozen since it was purchased.

Photobossman

Old July 8th 04, 02:27 PM
The Wogster

DaveHodge wrote:
How long does film really last beyond the expiration date if kept well )cool
dark in fridge)?

If kept in the freezer at 0 degrees or below, the aging of the emulsion is
virtually arrested. So it should last forever. Unfortunately, gamma radiation
which cannot be eliminated by 10 ft. of lead, is constantly bombarding the
frozen film, and will eventually lead to some deterioration. However, I have
Kodak High Contrast Copy Film dated 1980 that is still giving good results, and
Kodak Professional Ektachrome 200 dated 1979 that is still giving acceptable
results. So my answer to your question is: "Keep it frozen and it will last a
long time."

Another issue may be processing, with it being as easy to get prints
from slides as negatives now, film users could easily move to the easier
to scan slides, and C-41 could disappear, then what do you do with all
those nicely frozen C-41 films? Then again, will you still be able to
get any film processed in 10 years?

Old July 8th 04, 03:35 PM
Nick Zentena

The Wogster wrote:
DaveHodge wrote:
[...]

You do it yourself. Almost all the chemicals used by RA-4 [print process]
are the same for C-41. Only the colour developer is different I think. [CD-4
versus CD-3] But anybody that thinks C-41 is going to disappear worldwide
anytime soon I've got a bridge for you.

Nick