Matching old BW prints

Old January 7th 05, 10:59 PM
Ken

Default Matching old BW prints

"Richard" wrote in message ...
I have a photo that I would like to display along with some other old
photos, but the photo color does not match.
Rather than re scan the old prints to remove the sepia tone, I would
like to match the other photo to that look. The photo that I am
trying to match to the others was an old faded color photo. I
converted it to grayscale and back to RGB color so I can add a sepia
tone. However, I would like the sepia tone of the photos to match as
closely as possible. I scanned one of the other black and white
photos in color but how do I extract the information to MATCH both
sets of photos?

You can try saving the pallet of the picture you want the colors to match and then
load that pallet into the picture you want to match to the original. That way you
will at least have a restricted color range to work with to try to match the two
together. Haven't tried it myself but it might work...

Ken

Old January 7th 05, 11:03 PM
PhotoMan

"Richard" wrote in message
I have a photo that I would like to display along with some other old
photos, but the photo color does not match.
Rather than re scan the old prints to remove the sepia tone, I would
like to match the other photo to that look. The photo that I am
trying to match to the others was an old faded color photo. I
converted it to grayscale and back to RGB color so I can add a sepia
tone. However, I would like the sepia tone of the photos to match as
closely as possible. I scanned one of the other black and white
photos in color but how do I extract the information to MATCH both
sets of photos?

In Photoshop, I would open the sepia photo, and using the eyedropper tool,
sample the tone you want to duplicate, then close that photo, open the other
one, and work with the sampled color.

Old January 8th 05, 12:13 AM
paul

Richard wrote:

I have a photo that I would like to display along with some other old
photos, but the photo color does not match.

In photoshop, make the image mode duotone (or more) where it goes from
black (or maybe blue-black) to a sepia instead of white or maybe another
sepia in the middle. Zoom the old photo in as far as you can go to see
the different colored pixels & try using the eyedropper to extract those
colors.

Old January 13th 05, 06:31 PM
bob

Richard wrote in
:

I extract the information to MATCH both
sets of photos?

Richard

The other posters assume that your system is well calibrated. If it were,
you probably wouldn't be asking the question.

If I were in your position, I would make a new layer in photoshop with
either the multiply or the color overlay mode, and then make some large
rectangles across the photo with a variety of sepias. Get that printed
and use it as a reference to figure out exactly which sepia comes
closest.

Bob