Ilford XP1 or XP2 comments

Old February 17th 04, 10:59 PM
Robert J. Mathes

Default Ilford XP1 or XP2 comments

I am hoping to get comments from anyone out there on their use of either
Ilford XP1 or XP2, both 400 ISO. Both films (XP1 I believe is no longer
manufactured and I'm not sure about XP2) yield black-and-white negatives
with images consisting of dye rather than silver and therefore utilize
standard C41 color-negative processing. Thanks!

Old February 17th 04, 11:20 PM
Ralf R. Radermacher

Robert J. Mathes wrote:

I am hoping to get comments from anyone out there on their use of either
Ilford XP1 or XP2, both 400 ISO.

The current variety is XP-2 plus. I use lots of the stuff (as well as
the Kodak equivalent C400TN) for three main reasons:

1. The incredible exposure latitude in high-contrast scenes, e.g. indoor
shots in abandoned industrial sites with the sun falling through the
windows of an otherwise unlit building. I guess one would have to burn
holes into the stuff in order to really over-expose it.

2. The possibility to use the ICE dust masking feature of modern film
scanner wihch doesn't work with conventional b/w stock.

3. When I return home after a day of shooting, I can throw the whole
stuff, colour and b/w, into the same C-41 processor without having to
worry about different chemicals, times, agitation and all the rest of
it.

You'll find plenty of examples taken with both films, on my website.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old February 18th 04, 06:46 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

Xp1 and Xp2 are

MARVELLOUS.

Old February 18th 04, 02:36 PM
Jim MacKenzie

"Ralf R. Radermacher" wrote in message
2. The possibility to use the ICE dust masking feature of modern film
scanner wihch doesn't work with conventional b/w stock.

This is a good point I had never considered.

To throw out a disadvantage, being a dye-based negative, XP2 and similar
negatives don't have the archival stability of true black and white
negatives.

Jim

Old February 18th 04, 05:14 PM
Ralf R. Radermacher

Mike wrote:

How about not being able to control contrast through development?

Not much of an issue given the enormous exposure latitude and, in my
case, the fact that I scan my negs instead of printing them
conventionally. Gives me all the contrast control I'll ever need.

Ralf

Old February 19th 04, 04:49 AM
Norman Worth

I've used both of these. Neither is available now, the current version
being XP2 Super. They are both marvelous films, as is the current version.
Extremely fine grain, wide latitude, and excellent gradation thoughout the
range are key features. Less mentioned is the fact that these films are
extremely easy to print with conventional black and white materials.

Old February 20th 04, 02:16 AM
Robert J. Mathes

My thanks to all. I greatly appreciate your replies and your experiences.

bm