Bulk loading and modern cameras.

Old September 12th 04, 06:01 PM
Peter Chant

Default Bulk loading and modern cameras.

Dear All,

I have in the past bulk loaded film cassettes with few problems on my
old ME Super. However both an MZ-5n and Ricoh GR1v seem to have problems
when I do this, either stopping winding on, not rewinding, or stopping
advancing and not rewinding.

Does this mean I can't bulk load with modern cameras or is there a trick
I am missing?

Pete

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old September 13th 04, 03:43 PM
Dominic Richens

Peter Chant wrote:
Dear All,

I have in the past bulk loaded film cassettes with few problems on my
old ME Super. However both an MZ-5n and Ricoh GR1v seem to have
problems when I do this, either stopping winding on, not rewinding,
or stopping advancing and not rewinding.

Sorry, I'm not familliar with either of those cameras, but are they totally
motor driven? I have a Nikon FE and always found it required more force to
wind-on/rewind bulk loaded reusable cassettes. Something about the snap-on
caps requiring more room so the film slot is narrower.

Maybe try single use cassette?

--
Dominic Richens |
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Old September 13th 04, 04:12 PM
Nick Zentena

Peter Chant wrote:
Dear All,

I have in the past bulk loaded film cassettes with few problems on my
old ME Super. However both an MZ-5n and Ricoh GR1v seem to have problems
when I do this, either stopping winding on, not rewinding, or stopping
advancing and not rewinding.

Does this mean I can't bulk load with modern cameras or is there a trick
I am missing?

What kind of tape are you using? Other then that the only other issue I
can think of is the cannisters. Bulk loaded really isn't any different then
factory loaded.

Nick

Old September 14th 04, 08:19 PM
Peter Chant

"Jim MacKenzie" writes:
I bulk load with three autofocus Nikon bodies (F50, F90, F100) without
difficulty. Some possibilities:

- the plastic film cartridges create higher resistance than metal ones.
Perhaps your camera doesn't like the higher tension if you also use plastic.

Yes, but I have had some problems with metal.

- are you overloading the cartridges? Some manual cameras will take
extra-long rolls (as high as 45 or so exposures). Autofocus cameras are
much fussier.

No, 36 ish max.

- how are you cutting your leaders? I don't bother cutting them at all -
autofocus Nikons don't require them. If your film is advancing part way and
then failing, I doubt this is a problem.

To roughly the standard shape but with scissors.

When you load the film, be sure to use a bulk film loader and to wind on as
evenly as you can. The differing tension from loading by hand or by
cranking unevenly could be part of your problem.

I have a feeling the tension is higher.

I've fired about a thousand feet of bulk film over the past few years and
have had no difficulty at all with any of my cameras.

Food for thought.

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old September 14th 04, 08:20 PM
Peter Chant

"Dominic Richens" writes:
Sorry, I'm not familliar with either of those cameras, but are they totally
motor driven? I have a Nikon FE and always found it required more force to
wind-on/rewind bulk loaded reusable cassettes. Something about the snap-on
caps requiring more room so the film slot is narrower.

Yes, totally motor driven.

Maybe try single use cassette?

These play up as well.

--