My findings: Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G EDIF VR USM

Old September 12th 04, 05:08 PM
Dallas

Default My findings: Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G EDIF VR USM

Saturday afternoon, ABSA Stadium, Durban, South Africa. The game was the
Sharks (home team) vs. The Pumas.

Equipment used:
Nikon D70, ISO 400, AF-C focusing mode, JPG Fine. All shots were handheld
with VR set to normal.

The lens was shot wide open at f/2.8 and in-camera sharpening was set to
normal, as was saturation. The only post processing done was cropping
(big cheat, I know, but I didn't have a 2x extender with me!).

I think the results speak for themselves, this is one helluva lens! I am
very, very happy with it.

To see my best five pics from the game go to www.dallasdahms.com and click
on the sports gallery under the Photos menu. The first five thumbs will
link to larger images. Comments are most welcome.

An interesting observation from the day; there were an equal number of
Canon and Nikon shooters (5 apiece).

--
Dallas www.dallasdahms.com
"Going down a dirty inner city side road I plotted

Old September 13th 04, 02:06 AM
Basic Wedge

Yes, good results indeed. Nice shooting. My interesting observation is how
many of those rugby players show signs of having had knee surgery. Scary
game!

Rob

--------------

"Dallas" wrote ...

Old September 13th 04, 05:01 PM
Dallas

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:06:56 +0000, Basic Wedge wrote:

Yes, good results indeed. Nice shooting. My interesting observation is how
many of those rugby players show signs of having had knee surgery. Scary
game!

Rob

Thanks, Rob.

I think I did okay for the first time out with this camera & lens combo.
Normally you aim to get at least 10 decent shots at a game, which
invariably means shooting at least 150 images. For some reason I only shot
about 70 at this game.

My next trick is to get the 2x teleconverter, especially for surfing
photos. On the D70 that will put me at 600mm f/5.6 which is pretty cool.

BTW, yes, it is a scary game. One of the images I had actually forgotten
about was a shot of a loose scrum where you can see one of the Sharks
players clearly throwing a clenched fist at an opponent. I will put that
one up later.

Old September 14th 04, 11:50 AM
Rudi Cheow

To see my best five pics from the game go to www.dallasdahms.com and click
on the sports gallery under the Photos menu. The first five thumbs will
link to larger images. Comments are most welcome.

Great shots.

They were of particular interest to me because I myself have just
purchased this lens (2 days ago) but have yet to actually take it out
to play. And I also use the D70, though I don't shoot sports.

Those are nice results, and personally confidence-inspiring.

Were the shots handheld? VR on?

Rudi
Old September 14th 04, 09:00 PM
Dallas

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:50:30 -0700, Rudi Cheow wrote:

To see my best five pics from the game go to www.dallasdahms.com and
click on the sports gallery under the Photos menu. The first five thumbs
will link to larger images. Comments are most welcome.

Great shots.

They were of particular interest to me because I myself have just
purchased this lens (2 days ago) but have yet to actually take it out to
play. And I also use the D70, though I don't shoot sports.

Those are nice results, and personally confidence-inspiring.

Were the shots handheld? VR on?

Rudi

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, they were handheld with VR set to normal.

It's a superb lens - much better than the older 80-200mm f/2.8 (2-ring) I
had. What's nice about it is the smooth bokeh.