Storing of RC and FB BW paper

Old February 8th 04, 12:22 PM
MXP

Default Storing of RC and FB BW paper

How many years can RC and FB B/W paper be stored and then still be used to
make prints?
Does it have to be stored at low temperature like color paper?

I have some boxes of AGFA RC and FB paper. It is now about 2-3 years old and
they still produce exellent prints.....but for how long?

Max

Old February 8th 04, 05:58 PM
Mike King

Generalizations from my own limited experience:

FB papers store better that RC.

Graded papers better than VC (since there is only one type of emulsion to
age).

Developer incorporated papers have shorter lives than non-incorporated. I
had some Agfa RC and Some Ilford MG III RC Rapid that the base turned brown
AFTER processing and storing)

Refrigerator good, deepfreeze better. Just double wrap the boxes and let
warm to room temp before opening.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old February 8th 04, 10:18 PM
HypoBob

MXP wrote:

How many years can RC and FB B/W paper be stored and then still be used to
make prints?
Does it have to be stored at low temperature like color paper?

I have some boxes of AGFA RC and FB paper. It is now about 2-3 years old and
they still produce exellent prints.....but for how long?

Max

Max,

Search this ng's archives for "cadmium". A few years ago, U.S.
manufacturers for sure, and major European manufacturers probably too,
stopped using cadmium in their manufacturing processes. Cadmium served
as a stabilizer. Without it, it is not recommended to keep a box of
paper for more than a year or two, if I recall correctly, without
freezing or refrigeration.

Bob

Old February 17th 04, 08:01 AM
Andrew Kleinfeld

I don't use RC paper much, so I don;t know about it.

For fiber based, I have used paper that has been in the freezer for 20
years and longer (such as some old Agfa grade 6 I still have a few
sheets of) and it's fine. Totally fine.