Problems in Vista with photos

Old March 7th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Mullikin

Default Problems in Vista with photos

I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It was
great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having "upgraded"
to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any recommendations as to
what I should do in Vista to get back to a good viewing program? NOT
editing, just viewing.

Old March 7th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PCs Rule

"Ed Mullikin" wrote in message
I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It was
great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having "upgraded"
to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any recommendations as to
what I should do in Vista to get back to a good viewing program? NOT
editing, just viewing.

Define "all screwed up!"

Old March 7th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Wiss

For just viewing nothing beats the freeware www.Irfanview.com

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).
Old March 7th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony M

On 07/03/2008 18:39, * Ed Mullikin wrote:
I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It
was great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having
"upgraded" to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any
recommendations as to what I should do in Vista to get back to a good
viewing program? NOT editing, just viewing.

Get rid of Vista and go back to XP
Old March 7th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Mullikin

"Tony M" wrote in message
On 07/03/2008 18:39, * Ed Mullikin wrote:
I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It
was great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having
"upgraded" to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any
recommendations as to what I should do in Vista to get back to a good
viewing program? NOT editing, just viewing.

Get rid of Vista and go back to XP

"All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double click
on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to get one
enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller photos across
the bottom.

Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.

I'd LIKE VERY MUCH to go back to XP but that presents its own problems.

I have to go now and slit my wrists!

Old March 7th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:18:55 -0500, "Ed Mullikin" wrote:

"All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double click
on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to get one
enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller photos across
the bottom.

Windows Photo Gallery (http://tinyurl.com/29sl9t) should open when you
double-click a photo, unless you have installed another application that sets
itself as the default for JPG files. Try opening Photo Gallery directly from the
start menu and see what the photos look like there.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old March 7th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Wiss

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:18:55 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.

What file associations it has is entirely under your control. If you
neglect to set them when installing, you can find them under Options - Set
file associations...

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old March 8th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Ed Mullikin wrote:
"Tony M" wrote in message
On 07/03/2008 18:39, * Ed Mullikin wrote:
I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It
was great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having
"upgraded" to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any
recommendations as to what I should do in Vista to get back to a good
viewing program? NOT editing, just viewing.

Get rid of Vista and go back to XP

"All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double click
on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to get one
enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller photos across
the bottom.

Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.

That happened only because you permitted that "for everything" default
at installation. You can choose exactly what it gets used at
installation time.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old March 8th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Chris Malcolm wrote:
Ed Mullikin wrote:
"Tony M" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't re-installed Irfanview since a re-build. I like the default
viewer in winxp. For Irfanview, one option is to install and clear all
file associations. Leave an icon on your desktop and simply drag and
drop when you need it (or right click). Irfanview is useful for other
than the default viewer even if you use an editor like PS or PSP.
Dave Cohen
Old March 8th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Mullikin

"Dave Cohen" wrote in message
Chris Malcolm wrote:
Ed Mullikin wrote:
"Tony M" wrote in message
[...]

I have a significant (but infrequent) need for Irfanview and I will
reinstall it being more careful about what I tell it to do. I would like
very much to go back to the default viewer in XP but I don't know what it
was and I don't know if it would work in Vista. It was exactly what I would
like in Vista. Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try them
tomorrow.